Philips 60pp920217 convergence issues!

109 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alnp
Adjusting the crosses can be

Adjusting the crosses can be a pain, because adjusting one will affect the cross next to it. try to pick a pattern, like working from the center outward might help. You can go around several times, don't try to get them perfect the first time, just closer. You can do this in the user menu.
If your convergence ic's are no good they might not hold an adjustment.

nascarfan
be sure to purchace OEM ic

be sure to purchace OEM ic chips from reputable online store or repair shop if replacement semiconductor have bright white lettering good chance there aftermarket spend the extra money dont buy cheap ic chips check the datasheet and conpare specs if there not the same as the stk392-120 specs 18 pin sip 44v 4a 3.0 deg c/w, i used stk392-150 that where aftermarkets luckly lasted a year the resistors are pt#rmo 1w 6r8 j or philips #212010690297 12 to be exact been there done that the stk394-160e are custom made for hitachi sets wont work in your philips .

kickercvr
My 60pp935217 had the

My 60pp935217 had the convergence issues as others have described, so I ordered the STK's and installed them. Problem solved. Now the picture is not shaped correctly. When in the convergence mode the crosses on the right of the screen are to far up, and to the right, for the top half of the screen. the bottom right part of the screen is almost to far down to see. I have the service manual but am not sure what settings to mess with. I believe I need a screen template, and then need to make adjustments in the convergence alignment mode, starting with green. I have tried to make some adjustments to the green, and it will not adjust. What to do now?

nascarfan
kickercvr said: My 60pp935217

kickercvr said: My 60pp935217 had the convergence issues as others have described, so I ordered the STK's and installed them. Problem solved. Now the picture is not shaped correctly. When in the convergence mode the crosses on the right of the screen are to far up, and to the right, for the top half of the screen. the bottom right part of the screen is almost to far down to see. I have the service manual but am not sure what settings to mess with. I believe I need a screen template, and then need to make adjustments in the convergence alignment mode, starting with green. I have tried to make some adjustments to the green, and it will not adjust. What to do now?

it sounds  like  you  didn,t  replace  the  12  6.8 oms  resistors  when  you  changed  the  ic- chips  when  the  ic-chips go  bad  the  resistors  burn  also  check  the  blue  resistors  near  the  ic chips  there  will  be  some  that  are  discolored  the  resistors  are  numbered  on  the  board  (3149 thu 3160 )  replace  them ,  dont   replace  just  the  burnt  ones  mcm electronic  has  them , the  philips  pt#212010690297  there  ( blue - gray -gold - gold ) color  bands   good  luck   nascarfan

kickercvr
I measured the resistors in

I measured the resistors in circuit and they measured 3.5 ohms. I figured the were in series so that was an OK reading. I looked at the entire circuit visually and no parts seem have have let the smoke out so they should still work. But I have all day, I will do some double checking.

kickercvr
I took all 12 of the

I took all 12 of the resistors out of circuit and measured them, 6.9 -7.2 ohms. picture is still distorted.
I have found that the green will not change when I am in the Convergence Alignment mode. The manual said this should never be changed without a screen template, well I was messing with it anyway and I cannot get it to move at all. don't know if this piece of info helps. I hope so.

kickercvr
I bought STK392-150 as

I bought STK392-150 as replacements, could that be doing it? should I buy STK392-120? There is nothing else wrong that I can find.

Alnp
You should use genuine stk392

You should use genuine stk392-120 for 60pp935217 according to the manual.
http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/22659/STK392-XXX-Spec-s/

But also double check wires/connectors, including wires at the back that may have slipped under the chassis, continuity (traces) to and from conv. resistors, stk's for solder bridges.
You shouldn't have to replace all resistors, just the bad ones. Make sure the replacements are the right type flameproof/metal film/fusible not ordinary carbon.
6.8 ohm Convergence resistors should read about 3.4ohm in circuit.

kickercvr
thanks for the help, I will

thanks for the help, I will order up the 120's and try that.

nascarfan
kickercrv , be sure the ic

kickercrv , be sure the ic-chips are OEM replacements if the pt# number on the part is white-bold print theres a good chance there aftermarkets the printing should look like your orginal chips , i bought stk392-150,s from electronix last year because they were cheaper only lasted a year nfg, i just bought stock 120,s for my tv from www.prelcoelectronic,s they are OEM parts i talked to bill at prelco asked him about the stk394-160 he said dont use them in my philips there not for the phlilps tv sets, i replaced the 2 ic-chips & the 2 burnt resistors this time & had to take ssb board back out & install the other 10 6.8oms resistors because i couldn,t adjust the red-blue multipoints w/ my remote, last yr i did the 2 ic,s & the 12 resistors & did the adjustments w/the remote was perfect also check the spec,s to make sure they are the same as the 120,s, i also had to adjust the color this time to get the picture right. i bought the resistors from paul @ [email protected] they were the correct resistors and a decent price i found him from another site nice guy. nascarfan

nascarfan
nascarfan said: kickercrv ,

nascarfan said: kickercrv , be sure the ic-chips are OEM replacements if the pt# number on the part is white-bold print theres a good chance there aftermarkets the printing should look like your orginal chips , i bought stk392-150,s from electronix last year because they were cheaper only lasted a year nfg, i just bought stock 120,s for my tv from www.prelcoelectronic,s they are OEM parts i talked to bill at prelco asked him about the stk394-160 he said dont use them in my philips there not for the phlilps tv sets, i replaced the 2 ic-chips & the 2 burnt resistors this time & had to take ssb board back out & install the other 10 6.8oms resistors because i couldn,t adjust the red-blue multipoints w/ my remote, last yr i did the 2 ic,s & the 12 resistors & did the adjustments w/the remote was perfect also check the spec,s to make sure they are the same as the 120,s, i also had to adjust the color this time to get the picture right. i bought the resistors from paul @ [email protected] they were the correct resistors and a decent price i found him from another site nice guy. nascarfan

hey  also  if  you  take  off  the  upper  cover  go  in  to  the  convergence  settings  w/  your  remote  adjust  cross,s  off  a little   then  adjust  them  at  the  black  box  on  the  crt  bracket  the  lower  knobs  are  for  focus, adjust  while  looking  thu  to  screen  do that  thu  the convergence  menu  then  adjust  the  cross,s  so  they  line  up  then  store  the  settings   see  if  that  helps  correct  the  fuzzy  picture  i  also  had  to adjust  the  color  down  a  little  bit  on  my  set .  i,d  like  to  somehow  install  a  cpu  fan  on  the  heat -displacer  or  on  the  back  cover  too  remove some  of  the  heat- buildup  trying  to  investigate  that  best  way  to  power  it  so it  would  run  when tv  is  on  would,nt   hurt . 

kickercvr
problem is getting worse. I

problem is getting worse. I installed the STK392-120. TV looks exactly the same as before, but now if the TV is on for about a minute or longer then turned off, the TV will not turn back on until all components are room temp again. It will try to turn on but it powers itself down, I am guessing to prevent something from overheating.
The picture is so far out of convergence that the crosses used for convergence are not visible on the screen, the crosses on the left side of the screen are totally off the screen. I have read every page of the service manual but without the green having the ability to be adjusted, I believe my TV is dead. there is nothing in the manual about if the green does not adjust anymore.
I could probably take some pics of how bad it looks, not sure if that would be helpful or not.

mondogecko
do you think the liquid is

do you think the liquid is bad? forgive me I dont remember what it is called. or that you touched/mis-aligned the rbg lights? Just a suggestion. a tiny movement could throw the alignment off.

ecollier2012
If you do the following it

If you do the following it will work...If you don't you are wasting your time and money.

1) Buy only Sanyo brand chips from B&D ( www.bdent.com) , Acme (www.acme-sales.net) , or Tv Repair Kits (www.TvRepairKits.com )

2) Buy the exact same chip that was in your set. Magnavox sets typicaly have STK329-110 or STK392-120. Don't substitue, upgrade, etc the chips no matter what you read. If you put a different chip in the set it will most likely smoke the resistors.

3) Replace all 12 of the convergence resistors. Every day a dozen or more people complain that their set is still broken after replacing the convergence chips. The number one reason is that they did not replace the resistors. Replace all 12 even if they don't look burnt. Testing with a meter is not reliable because the resistors often fail once under load.

4) Check/Double-Check your soldering. Make sure its clean and does not have any bridged connections.

If you do the above your set will be fixed.

Larry Dillon
have an old maggy, the RK8519

have an old maggy, the RK8519 AK04, IT has no STK IC's anybody have any old info for this beast?it uses the seperate PNP & NPM transistors as a push pull amp circuit but this monster has a problem on the power board.

Larry Dillon
have an old maggy, the RK8519

have an old maggy, the RK8519 AK04, IT has no STK IC's anybody have any old info for this beast?it uses the seperate PNP & NPN transistors as a push pull amp circuit but this monster has a problem on the power board.

GARY2
Can someone tell me the two

Can someone tell me the two numbers on the circuit board that is for the 6.8 resistors that need to be changed when you change the stk392-120's for a 60pp93-5217 Phillips rear projection hdtv. Thank you, Gary

Larry Dillon
The service manual is

The service manual is available in techlores technicians corner, or I will send it to you. But I need an e-mail address

Larry Dillon
The service manual is

The service manual is available in techlores technicians corner, or I will send it to you. But I need an e-mail address

GARY2
mr.g said:  I just recently

mr.g said:  I just recently fixed my convergence problem and all colors line up, but now the picture is fuzzy. Looks like its out of focus a bit. Anyone know how to focus this tv. Is there a certain voltage to set each tube at? I am trying to do this myself if it is all possible.  I am working on a Philips 60PP935217 TV.    Mr.G    

I am replying to you with a question since you just fixed you convergence problems. I own the exact Phillips you have and I am replacing the stk392-120 ic's. I was told that you should also replace the (two) resistors that are part of the convergence as well. They are 6.8 ohms and are 1 watt. Do you know what numbers on the circuit board is the two resistors that need to be replaced? I think 3151 and 3152? Just a guess? Do you remember? I own a 60pp93-5217 Phillips hdtv. I beleive it is the same one as yours. Thanks,  Gary

Larry Dillon
in the service manual it

in the service manual it explains how to do electrical focus and static focus

GARY2
You may want to consult a

You may want to consult a technician before doing so.

nascarfan
all the 6.8 oms resistors

all the 6.8 oms resistors should be replaced , can you adjust all of the convergence settings with the remote ? red-blue-multi-point ? if all where take-off upper cover go into converge settings adjust cross hairs off abit if there fuzzy there,s a black box attached to crt bracket /top three adjustment screws are for color / bottom are for focus , adjust red so the cross-hair is crisp then go to blue convergence do the same, the black box is marked r-b-g i did it this way didn,t have someone to watch front of the tv seemed to worked for me, make sure you can do all the convergence first if the red&blue multi-point wont adjust you,ll have to change the other 10 6.8 oms resistors first there numbered 3149 thu 3160 then do the focus adjustment .

GARY2
Thank you. I just thought

Thank you. I just thought that there were 2 main resistors that had to be changed when changing the ic's. for convergence problems. Gary

Smajic
I finally fixed the whole

I finally fixed the whole Multipoint problem, I opened the back up and looked at all of the lenses. Seem to be find until i spotted some leaking.. Then i found that the rubber washers wasn't put on right. The guy that fixed out tv last time put it on wrong.  So I added some of that liquid, and fixed the washers. worked fine until few months. I called the repair man and i had same problems.. Multipoint, darkness and so on and on. Apperently the fluid i put in was a different mixture and it created bubles. I cleaned it out and I filled it up with Baby oil. Baby oil can be used too u know.

Thankx for the help ;)

Jim_Dyer
I have the same problem

I have the same problem problem. How do get into the service menu to adjust the green?

Jim_Dyer
How do I get to the service

How do I get to the service menu to adjust the green? Thanks!!!!

GARY2
There is a square box in the

There is a square box in the back of the set. It has 6 adjustable screws for settings. There are three for focus and three for color. The center screw for color is the green.

Larry Dillon
it is all in the free service

it is all in the free service manual available here in techlore's tecnician's corner

kickercvr
1) Buy only Sanyo brand chips

1) Buy only Sanyo brand chips from B&D ( www.bdent.com) , Acme (www.acme-sales.net) , or Tv Repair Kits (www.TvRepairKits.com )

2) Buy the exact same chip that was in your set. Magnavox sets typicaly have STK329-110 or STK392-120. Don't substitue, upgrade, etc the chips no matter what you read. If you put a different chip in the set it will most likely smoke the resistors.

3) Replace all 12 of the convergence resistors. Every day a dozen or more people complain that their set is still broken after replacing the convergence chips. The number one reason is that they did not replace the resistors. Replace all 12 even if they don't look burnt. Testing with a meter is not reliable because the resistors often fail once under load.

4) Check/Double-Check your soldering. Make sure its clean and does not have any bridged connections.

If you do the above your set will be fixed.

Actually this does not work for my problem, it didn't change a thing and I do not advise doing so, when it goes bad throw it away, they are all junk anyway.

Pages

Connect With Techlore