RCA tv goes on and off by itself

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
dano7
RCA tv goes on and off by itself

I have a 2 year old RCA F36650 TV (36" Conventional type). It started to go on and then off by itself. Now it does this every few seconds. On... off... constantly. Is it junk? or is there a reasonable fix ?
Thank you for any ideas !!

dano7

UPDATE
2-13-2006 Today I threw it away. Junk. No more RCA for me ..
I try to buy American but, SONY for me now............

Roonie902
I have the same problem w/my

I have the same problem w/my RCA, about 1 yr old, RCA Model 20F511T. It drives me insane. It just started doing it the past several weeks. Not sure what to do to fix it, but am looking for suggestions as well. Please advise if anyone knows. Thanks!

princessirish
these t.v.'s must bee ragely

these t.v.'s must bee ragely because everyone is aving problems w/ them

Lion B
I have an RCA 27 inch Tru

I have an RCA 27 inch Tru Flat tv. The model number is 27F520T. It's only 6 months old. About 3 months ago, it started coming on in the middle of the night. But it only happened about twice. Then a month later, it started going on and off by itself. It did that one time within a month and stopped. Now recently, it started again, but now when you put it on, it goes off. Sometimes it stays on for a few minutes and then goes off again. Now the remote won't work and everytime you touch the buttons on the tv, it just goes off and then on again, and continues to do it by itself. I got sick of it and just unplugged it. Can anyone please help with advice on how to solve this problem? Cuz I am about to take it back to Walmart.

vic6kar
Hi friends:

CryHi friends:

We are dealing with the same type of problem with this RCA 20F511T,on and off by it self.We did replaced the "D402" diode,and works for a few weeks,but the problem came back.If you have any "tip",please let us know.Thanks.

vic6kar

LAC
dano7 said: I have a 2 year

dano7 said: I have a 2 year old RCA F36650 TV (36" Conventional type). It started to go on and then off by itself. Now it does this every few seconds. On... off... constantly. Is it junk? or is there a reasonable fix ? Thank you for any ideas !! dano7 UPDATE 2-13-2006 Today I threw it away. Junk. No more RCA for me .. I try to buy American but, SONY for me now............

LAC
I have the same problem. The

I have the same problem. The set also changes channels on its own. the set is also two years old. Any ideas on the Problem?

Larry Dillon
Ok Folks Theres a few

Ok Folks Theres a few differant things that cause the RCA TV's to go on and off by them selfs. Some times the problem is the front control board.  There is a bad connection on it, one or more of the tact switches are bad, or the remote sensor is defective.   Some time Its nothing more then a cold solder connection in the sweep section of the Hi Voltage circuit, or theres a small coil right off the horizontal drive transformer, secondary side, thats also connected to the Base of the horizontal output transistor, that needs to be taken out, the enamel on the leads need to be scrapped off and reinserted and resoldered. Depending on the model and how old the set is.  Also theres several standup coils in the horiontal sweep and corrections circuit that have poor solder connections on them. And last but not least The power supply could have bad connections or have an intermittant regulator componet. My bet would be the small horizontal drive coil. The problem with the set changing channels could be the remote controller. try taking out the batteries first,if that dosent work then theres most likly a defective infared sensor for the remote inside the set or the B+ that supplys the voltage to the sensor is noisy such as a bad capacitor off that feed supply. Now one thing to remember is safety with these sets. maybe, before going inside a set, you should read this http://www.techlore.com/article/14476/ or http://www.techlore.com/article/10602/ Good Luck

vera
We have a rca 27F520T tv that

We have a rca 27F520T tv that also goes on and off.  At first, we thought maybe it was someone with a universal remote that had the same programming but after a few days, and searching the internet, we are finding this is a common problem with the unit.  We have a warranty on the tv tube through Thomson?   The funny thing is - all the paper work does not have a phone number - only a address to mail your money to continue your warranty - now, we are really starting to question RCA all the way around.  Anyone with advise?  We already search the internet and found a possible Thomson warranty company and emailed them.  Hopefully that was the correct one with a answer.

LAC
My son had the same problem

My son had the same problem with his one year old RCA F36650 TV . The problem was caused by a defective or poor fitting front panel button assembly. He had it replaced and the set works fine now. It's worth fixing.

LAC

I have a 27in tru flat tv

I have a 27in tru flat tv that is doing the same on off thing anyone get a fix on it yet plz help it is 27f520t model is it a cheap fix or not worth it

Tnichols
I have a 26 inch RCA and it

I have a 26 inch RCA and it started doing the same thing off and on. I was able to get it to stop by pounding on the front below the CRT (screen) One other comment said it may be the front control panel and I suspect it to be the case since it works now.

Dwray
replace all 6 tact switches

replace all 6 tact switches on the front key panel board very common problem with RCA's we buy them buy the 100's fix around 10-20 sets a month with bad tact switches . www.mcminone.com has them part # 28-10740

Dwray
Some of the NEWER model RCA

Some of the NEWER model RCA TV'S use This Style Tact Switch  MCM part # 28-10720 check to see which Style your set has before ordering the Switches

Agnelo
Thank you very much, I just

Thank you very much, I just opened the front panel and tapped the switches hard enough and then the TV started perfectly fine and working great. There was no need to change the switches for the moment.

Dwray
you can just remove the

you can just remove the switches if you don't use the front buttons the remote will still work perfect

Colorado
We purchased a RCA 52 inch

We purchased a RCA 52 inch rear projection screen, and it began to turn off when we turned it on. It would stay on for a few seconds and then off, then it would go back on... did this like three times in a row. Repairman came to the house and checked it out and told me that the power source was out on it. It turns out that RCA has a built in surge protector that keeps the television from getting more damage. Repairman told me total cost to fix the television would be 375-475.00. Hope that helps you.

t.g.
I am glad that i found this

I am glad that i found this article! I tried what is mentioned above with great success! I removed the tact switches and everything works great now! Thanks!!!!

Larry Dillon
you may also be able to soak

you may also be able to soak them in wd40 for a short time but new ones are the best.

mari12232
I OWN AN RCA 52INCH REAR

I OWN AN RCA 52INCH REAR PROJECTION SCREEN TV...WHEN I TURN IT ON...A GREEN LIGHT APPERARS AND BLINKS AND THEN IT GOES AWAY AND IT IT KEEPS ON DOING THIS ALL THE TIME AND STOP...WITH NO PICTURE ....PLZ TELL ME WHATS THE PROBLEM?...IS IT WORTH FIXING?....HOW MUCH ROUGHLY WILL THIS COST ME

mari12232
I OWN AN RCA 52INCH REAR

I OWN AN RCA 52INCH REAR PROJECTION SCREEN TV...WHEN I TURN IT ON...A GREEN LIGHT APPERARS AND BLINKS 3 TIMES AND STOP...WITH NO PICTURE ....PLZ TELL ME WHATS THE PROBLEM?...IS IT WORTH FIXING?....HOW MUCH ROUGHLY WILL THIS COST ME

Larry Dillon
generally when this model of

generally when this model of RCA tries to go on and off three times the fly-back transformer is usually bad and as far as I know I am not sure if it is even available any longer!!!!!!
Larry

sblu
@Larry Dillon - I noticed on

@Larry Dillon - I noticed on an older thread that you had offered to send to someone a service manual for a Sony KP-51WS510 - I know it's been a while but do you by any chance still have that? If so, could you send it to sbluhm at clark-powell dot com?

Agnelo
Take the back off the tv,

Take the back off the tv, Vacuum the dust and then blow a hair dryer on the lower left area for ten minutes on a hot setting for the hair dryer then turn the tv on.

Agnelo
Take the back off the tv,

Take the back off the tv, Vacuum the dust and then blow a hair dryer on the lower left area for ten minutes on a hot setting for the hair dryer then turn the tv on.

Larry Dillon
wow a miracle fix. LOLOLOL>

wow a miracle fix. LOLOLOL> NEVER HEARD that one before but if it work what the hay!!!!!!!!!!
Larry

carls
MAn You are a freaking genius

MAn You are a freaking genius. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuts about my tv
Dude, thanks for the tips

Dude, thanks for the tips about removing the buttons. I was about to throw my flat screen away and this actually work! Thanks everyone for the great tips!

JasJas
yea my tv was acting up too

yea my tv was acting up too but i thought it was possesed so i called an excorsit to fix n it works great excepted for the fact dat the demon possesed my husband

hialeah
My model is r52wh74 and the

My model is r52wh74 and the front control board is 10928250. I had all the on-off,vol down,channel changing on it own problems. I removed the board and it works good now. Where can I find a replacement board. I have not found it on-line.

Alnp

hialeah said: My model is r52wh74 and the front control board is 10928250. I had all the on-off,vol down,channel changing on it own problems. I removed the board and it works good now. Where can I find a replacement board. I have not found it on-line.

Test for tact switches that don't work right?....they are about .39 ea.  There are 2 different shapes, get the right ones.

Acme Enterprises Orlando has them on it's first catalog/specials page.

http://www.acme-sales.net

Pages

Connect With Techlore