Toshiba 50H81 Blinking red light, bump

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tom_K
Toshiba 50H81 Blinking red light, bump

Hi, I've read most of the other posts both on this forum and elsewhere, but haven't just gone and got the convergence repair kit yet since I'm not sure that is it.

I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Even F860 (bad cap solder), all the F85X fuses, etc. My cheap multimeter is not good enough to check the adjacent resistors next to the convergence chip.

The TV intermittently started to get the blinking light, but after cooldown it would start up again. Now, its totally dead.

I read in another forum that I can unplug P807 and if the TV turns on then it confirms that it is the convergence IC's. I have scanned all the schematics, looked at the board, but cannot find that plug anywhere. I am thinking I should do this test before I go buy the new IC's. Can someone advise where the heck this plug is, and maybe a second confirmatin that this actually will isolatge the convergence IC's as the culprit.

If P807 is a myth, I will probably just go buy the IC's unless anyone has a better DIY test method for me.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom_K
How about this-- based on all

How about this-- based on all the fuses being OK, and the fact that it intermittently started to go bad (picture was OK when it ran) do you experts think it might be something besides the convergence IC's? Maybe it is just a bad solder joint or some other component. I don't know if these components, like resistors, etc. just fade away or flick on and off before they blow.

If this was your TV, what would your next step be?

Thanks!

evil
My next steps would be

My next steps would be grabbing the service manual and going through the troubleshooting section.

Tom_K
Hi Evil, Thanks. I have been

Hi Evil, Thanks. I have been using the service manual to find the fuses and other components. I also just taught myself how to use the multimeter to check individual components. The service manual, from what I can tell anyway, doesn't give me an idea on how to isolate the convergence chips, so hoping someone had some industry trick for that given fuses and what I've checked so far seem fine. I did find the flowchart to isolate the FS circuit vs power supply, but since it didn't say anything about convergence, I didn't try it. I did check the adjacent resistors next to the convergence chips, and they all test at the proper resistance, too.

My options as I see them are:

Start checking every PCB component one by one;
Just go buy the convergence repair kit and hope it works;
Scrap the TV, or;
Try to learn how to test for a bad solder joint, since I don't know how yet.

Anyway, thanks again.

evil
On most sets when the

On most sets when the convergence chips blow they cause a short which causes a short protect circuit which keeps the tv from coming on. If your convergence board is a stand alone board and only attached by wires then you should be able to unplug them and the set will come on if they are integrated into the board then you will have to remove them in order to remove the short thus being able to turn on the tv.

gsun
I seem to be having the same

I seem to be having the same problem as others.  The forum has given me great ideas.

I have the blinking red light with no picture.

I replaced fuses F850, F851, F852 as they were blown.

The set worked for a week and now has gone back to the blinking red light.

Looking for suggestions on what best to check next.  Is it C809/C10 soldering, I see some jumpers 010 and 050, or something else?

Just not sure why it worked for a week and then blew again.

Connect With Techlore