philips 51pp9100d convergence

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
howdiedo
philips 51pp9100d convergence

I need conformation of part number and source if I need convergence chips for the projection tv I paid $ 15 for. The red convergence will not move left and right. all the others are ok. Sounds like lots if these sets have a common problem.  It is a 2006 model.  Id like to try to fix it but if I can't I don't want to waste a lot of money, cause I really don't need the set I am just a sucker for cheap things.

evil
Check the covergence chips to

Check the covergence chips to see if both are getting warm/hot they should be on a heat sink somewhere on the board http://www.google.com/images?q=convergence%20amp%20ic's&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1259&bih=655 is what they look like.A good place to get them would be here

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/product.php?productid=23578&partner=ev...

howdiedo
Yes, they are hot. Does that

Yes, they are hot. Does that mean my resistors are ok? What is the chance of mounting a thermostaticall contolled micro fan on the heatsinks?? Thanks

evil
That would suggest to me that

That would suggest to me that they are.I believe someone has done that before but it wasnt thermostatically controlled,I think they just had it hard wired to a switch that they attached to the side,im not sure what feed they used for it,I believe it was just a computer cpu fan.

howdiedo
I am great at tearing things

I am great at tearing things apart, but now I must put it back together RIGHT. What side does the grid on the projection screen go on -- inside or out????

evil
The boarders around the

The boarders around the screen should have a lip on it,that lip would go to the inside of the tv for extra support.

howdiedo
Thanks for the quick reply. I

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not very good about stating by question correctly. I know were the projection screen goes but I am not sure which side of the screen goes towards the the viewer-- one side is smooth and the other has a grid pattern.

evil
It looks like on page 6 of

It looks like on page 6 of the Service Manual the grided side goes in facing out.Im working on getting the manual posted,once agin its to big to upload so i took a couple of pages out that were blank and the size of the file got BIGGER?lol Ill work on it later today.

howdiedo
While I am waiting for the

While I am waiting for the convergence chips to arrive, I looked in the the tubes and they look clear but I can see what looks like sediment on the bottom. Red has very little and green has the most. Does this sound like I need a fluid change. It is 2006 model. Thanks

evil
Contaminated coolant can be

Contaminated coolant can be hard to see,but from what you are describing it sounds like your tubes are,red tube generally gets less moldy if any at all.A coolant change can be quiet difficult and cause you more trouble in the end then it is worth,if it were me i'd wait to see just how bad it was and live with it if it isnt that bad.

howdiedo
I just put in my "Genuine

I just put in my "Genuine Sanyo replacements chips" from ebay/china. They replace the genuine chips-- not too smart, but they work so far- 1hr. My blue convergence line as so fuzzy and spread out that I cannot make a line. It was not that way before I put in the conv chips. Maybe I bumped something? Is that color out of focus and what is the procedure. Can It be done from behind?? Thanks again. Trying now to save my $30 investment (15 for set and 15 for the chips
PS. wires on the chip are so weak they are very hard to get 18 of them into the holes with out mending them -that is the big diference I noted right a way.

evil
Look into the blue lense and

Look into the blue lense and see if it clear or if it is moldy with the set running,if its clear the procedure for adjusting the focus is here http://www.techlore.com/article/26744/G2-Adjustment-and-Electrical-Focus...

howdiedo
I now have a buzz and scan

I now have a buzz and scan line at the top of the picture! Now what?? I think I read that some one else had the same problem but can't find it now. HELP thanks for the help so far

evil
Follow the direction in the

Follow the direction in the LINK!!!!....Thats called a retrace line you turned up the G2/screen to much turn it back untill they disappear,Just like the instructions tell you to in the LINK....

howdiedo
Thank agian!! the link talked

Thank agian!! the link talked about some lines but I did not understand that they were the same lines I was seeing. I converged and focused, but blue is too wide so I think it is contaminated. Looks like something is boiling in there. I can not find the expansion tubes that are talked about in either of the links I read about refilling the coolant. I see the focus lens and about 2' down a big white seal at the base next to the metal bracket that holds all of the tubes. I see nothing that is white/clear above the metal bracket. There is a black 2" square with a domed top with a hole in it. one each plastic tube holder. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

evil
What was the question?The

What was the question?The chances of the blue being to big because of the ebay chips are great,if it wasn't like that before and the only thing you changed were the chips and any resistors or pico fuses that were bad the chance that you "BUMPED" something to make it that bad are slim check and triple check your solder make sure there are no bridged gaps between the pins.

evil
this is the expansion tube

this is the expansion tube that needs to be cleaned http://www.riddledtv.com/journal/CRTCoolant/blue_b4.jpg

howdiedo
Thanks again! I thought that

Thanks again! I thought that might be what I was seeing. The red and gren are located on the down/ back side of the tube, but the blue is on the up/front side of the lens. Is that normal or has it been rotated around. I see signs of prior work. You should change your handle from Evil to Godsend!

evil
That is completely normal,of

That is completely normal,of all the tv's I have changed the fluid on all but a couple have been that way im not shure why they make it like that.

howdiedo
I think I am close to being

I think I am close to being done, but I can't seem the get them full. I am trying to add the fluid from the expansion chamber as per some instructions. I have tipped the tv so it is higher than the lens to no avail. I can see a ring that shows the level is about half way up on the concave top of the fluid chamber. I also see a hex shaped plug that goes into the plastic base of the fluid chamber.It is opposite the expansion chamber. Is that another place where I can but fluid in if the tv is tipped almost over?? The blue chamber was quite dirty and the concave chamber lid had a hard-to-remove scum layer over most of it. Thanks again

evil
You will want to add fluid in

You will want to add fluid in the filler plug not the expansion chamber. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/60PP92...

howdiedo
Thanks, Got that job done and

Thanks, Got that job done and it was not that bad except now I have no picture tubes working. I hear the power come on and 10 15 seconds later I hear another click. I read a thread here once that someone had a power supply problem after doing a similar repair job, but now I can't find it. I looked for unpluged items and checked the two fuses I found and all is ok. I did notice a slightly bulged 470u cap in a second area that said "caution live" on the board. Just when I thought I was done I am not, but I keep on learning.

evil
Sounds like you may have

Sounds like you may have gotten some crt fluid on the board,this stuff is highly corrosive and conductive and should be removed immediately.Check for splashes or drips that may have happend.Then try this with the remote,enter numbers 0-6-2-5-9-6- then menu button,there should be a series of blinks pauses then blinks and repeats a few times,let me know what the blinks are.

howdiedo
I did find a drop that came

I did find a drop that came of the outside of the lens. I cleaned that up and still have the problem. I use alcohol and cotton several times and compressed air to see if any was hidden. did not see any more. Still clickes off after a15 seconds and never any light in the tubes. The power light comes on for 15 seconds then I hear what sounds like a relay and the light goes out. The light come back on for a split second (more of a fliker) and then relighs for several seconds Then I get a rapid flashing count of 7 and then 9 and the 9 flashes keeps repeating. I can not get the flashing to change using the 062596 + menue. Just keeps flashing 9 times a pause and 9 more forever. Thanks again

evil
Sounds like its off to the

Sounds like its off to the scrap heap with this thing neither one of those errors are good,thats why I remove the CRT's when I change the fluid.

rick2820
I have red convergence

I have red convergence problem. The red will adjust up and but not left or right. Does anybody know if this can be adjusted inside of tv or will I have to go some parts to fix this? any Help Will Much THANKS

evil
If you know how to solder or

If you know how to solder or are willing to learn how, I can give you a link to all the parts you will need to repair it,if you can give me a little more information on what kind of tv it is. Make Model and chassis if you can find it.

rick2820
m# 51pp9100d/37. S#

m# 51pp9100d/37. S# ya1a060107949. don't know chassis#. I need a class on how to solder. and how to get chassis out of set. I have opened back and looked in but don't know how to get it out. unemployed right now so things are tight. makes me MAD paid 1000.00 for set and this is what I have to deal 4 yrs later. THANKS rick

howdiedo
I am no expert, but I changed

I am no expert, but I changed the convergence chips successfully. To desolder the old chips I recommend a desolder tool from Radio Shack. I made solder tip for it with a 3/16 copper ground wire. I bent the end down and tappered to the down side. I did this because I never completly removed the the board. Remove the screws holding the board frame in place. The screws are black on the black frame. They are on the back half of the board. Remove the black cardboard between the top of the tubes and the board area. Then slide the board out. I removed the tube adjustment qube fastened to the tube holder. Then I was able to tip the board up into just past verticle. You can find pictures of the convergence chips, but they are a pair of ~ 18 pin chips (2.5 ") an alum. heat sink. There is braid that can desolder the pins, but I liked the desolder tool as it sucks solder from all around the pins. My biggest problem was getting all the pins linded up and in the holes. This forum has links to soldering tips and they will help you. It worked for me. You might want to look to see how much crud is in the green and blue tubes as that can cause other problems

evil
Rick you should have the

Rick you should have the DPTV585AAA chassis. http://www.techlore.com/download/31689/Philips-Magnavox-Chassis-DPTV585-... this is the manual for it. THIS
is the part you need to rpair it. It comes with tips on how to solder pico fuses,resistors,step by step instructions,and support if you need it. I would suggest one of these
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062731&CAWELAID=1...
it would help you tremendously, and they dont cost an arm and a leg. You should also google how to solder and watch as many videos as you can about it.The pins on the replacement chips are tiny and spaced close together and very easily bridged which they shouldnt be.

howdiedo
I got my 51" philips to turn

I got my 51" philips to turn on a couple of times yesterday. I placed all the wires back in there holders and today it will not turn on. I had replaced a 470 cap that was bulged and was holding down the relay that I thought was clicking after 15 sec. when it first came on. Yesterday I turned it on and off several times, cleaned every thing and hung the wires. What is the chance that the relay is bad? Is it no or nc. The relay is near the front of the tv and mid center. I have checked all the connections and they seem to be ok.

Connect With Techlore