Samsung 42in. HCN4226W Red Convergence Problem

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
squiggie
Samsung 42in. HCN4226W Red Convergence Problem

Hello all, I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a 5yr old Samsung that recently one evening developed a Red convergence problem, or what I believe is a red convergence problem. The screen looks a little curved in the center and when I go to the convergence section, the Blue is all lined up but the red is off and I can't manually adjust it. Perfect focus also fails; it simply never makes it through. Now doing some research online, I figured it was a IC Chip that had dailed or something so I ordered some new ones online and desoldered to old ones out and put the new ones in. After replcaing the board back into the system, it is still having the exact same problem. Perfect focus doesn't want to run and manual convergence doesn't work. I have read that it may need to be reset via the service menu, but I can't figure that out and don't have a service manual. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I'd apprecite it. If you have a service manual for this model, send me a PM and I'll get you my email address. If this doesn't sound like a IC Chip issue, does anyone have any more ideas?

Larry Dillon
It sounds like you may have

It sounds like you may have an issue with the power going to the IC's. You can get a service manual HERE for free download from a new service here at techlore. You probably will find an open fuse or circuit protector in the main power supply. If you have no clue what I mean, play it safe and call in a pro to assist you in this repair. The IC's you replaced, hope they are not the inexpensive types, as all IC's are not alike. Also, did you install heat sink compound to the backs of the new IC's before you installed them? If not you will need to do this or the IC's will not last. Good Luck

squiggie
I will check out the fuses

I will check out the fuses and see what i can find. I did put thermal paste on the IC's so that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the information and I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

squiggie
Ok, well after replacing the

Ok, well after replacing the IC's, I still have the issue. After looking at the service manual and trying to to the manual convergence, it won't let me move the Green vertically or the Red either way. It seems something is still going one. I have placed a service call to Samsung for this, but in the meantime, is there anything else I can look at. You mentioned something about fuses earler. Is that something I can look at and tell right off the bat is bad? Are they just like any other fuse that you can remove and tell if they are fried? Any information would be appreciated.

Larry Dillon
This should be an easy repair

This should be an easy repair if you have the service manual and understand how to read it. With the symptoms you described, check for voltage at the plug CNZ03, pin one for plus 20 volts, same plug pin 4 for - 20 volts. If those are good, there is an issue with ICZ103 or it's circuit. First thing to check is a fuse labeled FD102S, right near the IC in question. It should measure continuity. It is a 3.5 amp fuse. Also check resistors RFZ22, RFZ21, RFZ20, and RFZ19. They are 150 ohm 1 watt fusible resistors. If you do not understand the things I said, play it safe and have a pro assist you with this repair.

squiggie
Well I think I figured out

Well I think I figured out what it is. After testing the things you suggested, all panned out except for the FD101S fuse. It was measuring 0 whereas the FD102S  one was measuring around -23. Does that make sense and coorespond to the issue I'm seeing? All those resistors measured 150 ohm and the CNZ03 plug was both right around 23v and -23v. Do I just need to obtain a new fuse for FD101S?

Larry Dillon
Measure across the fuses and

Measure across the fuses and if they do not have continuity, replace it.

squiggie
Yes, that is what I did and

Yes, that is what I did and it looks like FD101s does not. I will replace it and see if that solves the issue. Thanks for all the help.

Gunner9
Hello all,

Hello all,

I have this same model Samsung. The TV powers up briefly, then shuts off. I read a post saying that the convergence is so far out of of whack that it's shutting off the power. Does this sound correct?

Larry Dillon
It is the shorted Convergence

It is the shorted Convergence IC's athat are shorted. That is why the power supply will not start up.

Gunner9
So if i replace the

So if i replace the convergence board, will that resolve the problem?

Larry Dillon
It might but to be sure,

It might but to be sure, unplug the board from the set to be sure, Remember these are all guesses we give here, no way to tell for sure unless you troubleshoot the circuit.

Gunner9
Ok so I unplugged the 20V

Ok so I unplugged the 20V from the convergence board, and the tv turned on. I found a board at samsungparts.com that has the STK IC's on it, so I'm going to replace it and hopefully that works. Thanks for all the help. Also, thanks for posting the service manual for this model tv on your site, that is going to help out with the manual convergence alignment if the board works.

Larry Dillon
Your very welcome but this is

Your very welcome but this is not my site. I am only an expert here.

pilot172
Samsung HCN 4226W. Same

Samsung HCN 4226W. Same problem with convergence issues. Replaced the board with part BP 94-0155A. Checked all the conections;image still distorted, red aout of focus. After trying the manual focus and picture perfect, the whole unit just shut down. I've got a new board. Two questions: how different is this board, Bp 94-00155A from BP9500142E. Once the new board is connected, do I have to follow the steps in the service manual to reset the values for convergence?Do I need a screen jig. What else do I have to test before I blow another board?

Going craaaaazyyyy

Thanx for the help.

Pilot172

Larry Dillon
You need to check the pico

You need to check the pico fuse's for continuity in the power supply. These sets almost always blows out the fuses.

pilot172
Larry:

Larry:
Thanx for the directions. I'll be checking these pico fuses in the power supply.Do I need the screen jig once I check and correct the issues with power supply? Plug and play the new board and jsut go? I don't want to blow another board.
I'll keep you posted.
Pilot172

Larry Dillon
I have done many of these

I have done many of these sets and I have never had to order the jig. I think that is used if you replace one or more of the picture tubes.

DxFl
I have the exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. How hard would it be for me to open the unit and check the fuses indicated in this thread. I am pretty good with this kind of stuff but don't want to get involved if it is too complicated. Thank you in advance.

David

squiggie
David, it isn't that hard. If

David, it isn't that hard. If you're comfortable cracking things open and just taking a look, this is no different. The convergence board is very easy to find and with a small voltage meter, you can easily check fuses in the machine. I'm not an expert here by any means and the first time I had my issue with this TV was the first time I'd ever been in the back of a TV. I managed to work my way through it and resolve the issue so it sounds like you can also.

jlowetz
I have a Samsung HCN4226W

I have a Samsung HCN4226W myself and have used this forum to do some troubleshooting. The issue I have with mine is a concave picture (both top and bottom middle of the screen).I am unable to adjust my green convergence up and down. I can adjust side to side but that is all. Blue and Red adjust both up and down. Perfect focus used to sit at 4% and then fail but now that I have used mute-1-8-3 to adjust the convergence I get the message "NO SENSOR DATA" when I try to perform Perfect Focus.

All fuses test positive for continuity.

I am new to projection tv repair and am hoping that someone may be able to tell me what the issue is with my tv with the above info.

thanks

Jason

bcfish
I have the same tv and I

I have the same tv and I replaced the covergence board and adjusted manully but I still have small red vertical lines running thru my picture and the perfect focus does not work at all

Connect With Techlore