Need Help w/ Samsung HLR5067w

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
Twister
Need Help w/ Samsung HLR5067w

Need HELP. My set made a loud knocking noise and when I went to see what it was the pic and color was distorted. The colors were green and purple and the set was making a loud humming sound. I had one shop tell me it was the color wheel. He didn't see it in person. I just talked to him on the phone. Is this something I could replace myself. The repair shop said $1800 to fix but I see the part is $130?????????????

Anybody have any suggestions.  

zapdbf
that sounds correct, the

that sounds correct, the color wheel is inside the light engine. But they may be quoting you the light engine insted of the color wheel. Some shops don't change the color wheel. i know that sounds absurd but it is true. Technicaly the light engine is not field serviceable, although samsung began selling the color wheel to stop light engine returns. the part number for the color wheel is usaly not even in the manual. When i worked for another shop we delt with this problem all the time, but i have since moved to a diffrent shop and we never see samsung  tv's here, so i don;t have access to the correct part number you need.

i am not sure but the all the noise you are hearing might mean that there are  more issues with the light engine . debries in the engine will require you to get a new one. the engine is assembled in a clean room and sealed. so the quote is probibly correct for a new engine.

rike
zapdbf said: that sounds

zapdbf said: that sounds correct, the color wheel is inside the light engine. But they may be quoting you the light engine insted of the color wheel. Some shops don't change the color wheel. i know that sounds absurd but it is true. Technicaly the light engine is not field serviceable, although samsung began selling the color wheel to stop light engine returns. the part number for the color wheel is usaly not even in the manual. When i worked for another shop we delt with this problem all the time, but i have since moved to a diffrent shop and we never see samsung  tv's here, so i don;t have access to the correct part number you need. i am not sure but the all the noise you are hearing might mean that there are  more issues with the light engine . debries in the engine will require you to get a new one. the engine is assembled in a clean room and sealed. so the quote is probibly correct for a new engine.

I just got off the phone with the shop and the quote was for a new light engine. How difficult would it be for a novice to pull the light engine and replace the color wheel? I figure it would be worth a shot, especially if the problem is more than just the color wheel the set would be junk at that point anyway since I could purchase a new TV for less.  

zapdbf
it is somewhat involved, and

it is somewhat involved, and the light wheel is very delicate. it doen't take much to dammage it. it requires you to completely remove the light engine and takeing a few screws out of the engine it's self. No soldering is required, but you need to memorize the plugs and screws that you take out so you know how to get them back in. for somone who has taken electroinc or even mechanical equipment apart and successfully re-assembled them it should not be that difficult to do.

If i were you, and faced only with a light engine repair i would try it !, you don;'t have much to loose but maby 130.00 for the color wheel, the wheel could be broken and pieces in the light engine, if that is the case then you can try to shake the pieces out, but to go any futher will not be helpfull.

rike
zapdbf said: it is somewhat

zapdbf said: it is somewhat involved, and the light wheel is very delicate. it doen't take much to dammage it. it requires you to completely remove the light engine and takeing a few screws out of the engine it's self. No soldering is required, but you need to memorize the plugs and screws that you take out so you know how to get them back in. for somone who has taken electroinc or even mechanical equipment apart and successfully re-assembled them it should not be that difficult to do. If i were you, and faced only with a light engine repair i would try it !, you don;'t have much to loose but maby 130.00 for the color wheel, the wheel could be broken and pieces in the light engine, if that is the case then you can try to shake the pieces out, but to go any futher will not be helpfull.

Thanks zapdbf,

You have already been a huge help. I think I'm going to venture into unchartered waters and give it a shot. Not much to lose at this point. I'll let you know how it turns out. Any other tips would be appreciated.

zapdbf
when unplugging wires watch

when unplugging wires watch out for clips holding the wire in, and only pull on the plug it's self not the wires, you might have to unplug some ribbon cables, some will have clasps they are generaly diffrent in color than the socket. it is easy to get a ribbon cable in crooked so you need to pay close atten to that.  sorry but i have not done one of them in about 3 years since i left that other shop. so my memory is starting to fade for this repair. maby someone else here who services them more can give you better info.

Good luck

Larry Dillon
I happen to have a how to do

I happen to have a how to do for the color wheel replacement I received from someone I helps a while back ago to replace a color wheel in a Samsung DLP projection TV set. If you would like a copy as a guide, and only a guide, leave an e-mail address and I will send you a copy of it. Good Luck.

rike
Larry Dillon said: I happen

Larry Dillon said: I happen to have a how to do for the color wheel replacement I received from someone I helps a while back ago to replace a color wheel in a Samsung DLP projection TV set. If you would like a copy as a guide, and only a guide, leave an e-mail address and I will send you a copy of it. Good Luck.

LD you have your PM turned off.

danielsau
Larry Dillon - would you mind

Larry Dillon - would you mind providing any details on where you located the repair guide? My set is doing exactly the same thing, hoping to be able to fix it with a new color wheel - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Dan Saunders
[email protected]

Larry Dillon
Make sure you read this

Make sure you read this totally, as this usuallt should be done by an experienced tech! I will send you a copy of the wheel replacement. Good Luck!

rike
Larry,

Larry,

Would you send me a copy. I haven't done anything with mine yet. I'm still a little apprehensive.

Send to [email protected]

Thanks

Larry Dillon
Sure wll, on its way to you.

Sure wll, on its way to you. This is not exactly like your model but is very close. Good luck

Sammysbox
I just replaced the color

I just replaced the color wheel in my Samsung HL-R5067W DLP TV. I discovered that it needs adjusting, and I need the service manual. Does any one have a copy of the instructions.

Kyle Kelly
I have had the exact same

I have had the exact same problem a couple of months ago the color wheel(I'm hoping thats what it was) in my HL-R5067w broke and became off center. So it made the TV vibrate and made a humming sound. I have since taken out the light engine board, but I'm not completely sure how to remove the color wheel.

Larry,

Could you send me that guide you had for removing the color wheel?

[email protected]

I realize that a tech should be doing this but I think I have enough electrical experience to do this repair with a guide of some sort. I am a Ground radio maintenance tech in the Air national guard.

Kyle Kelly
I just ordered the service

I just ordered the service guide so I'll see how that works for me.

Kyle Kelly
Removed color wheel and sure

Removed color wheel and sure enough it was in about 2 million little pieces. Gonna order a new one and hope for the best.

NOYB111
I have a similar issue with

I have a similar issue with my TV having a hard time turning on. It tries to come on, turns off, tries again and does this several times before coming on. I can hear the color wheel spinning at low RPM and then when the TV finally comes on I can here it spinning at full RPM. I think my color wheel is starting to go bad.

Can someone please send me the service manual? [email protected] ..

Thanks

NOYB111
Service manual wasnt attached

Service manual wasnt attached can you please resend? Thank you!

Robert Johnson
The color wheel in my HL

The color wheel in my HL-R5067w has broken as well. May I get a copy of that service manual. [email protected] Thanks in advance.

MADfinal4
I came home Monday night with

I came home Monday night with a few friends to watch the game on my samsung dlp (HL-5667w) and behold the picture shows perfect as usual, but the color GREEN was absent. Only the really lighter shades appeared, and this was disturbing cause some of my friends attended Mich. State and were unable to see green only an off black color replacing it. What is this problem and how do I fix it?

k9wow
Does anyone know what screws

Does anyone know what screws to remove on a Samsung HL-R5678W to get the light engine out so that I can replace the color wheel.

Larry Dillon
If you leave an e-mail I will

If you leave an e-mail I will send you a how to do if you like.

Jaxster
Hi Larry. I've got my

Hi Larry. I've got my HLR5067W on the table and replacement color wheel ready to go in. I would be most grateful if you sent me the 'how-to' :D

My email addr is: [email protected]

DanV
I sure could use the service

I sure could use the service manual for the HLR5067W if anyone would be so kind? [email protected]

Larry Dillon
sorry don't have that model

sorry don't have that model but have you tried service manuals.net?

drmathiesen
Larry~

Larry~

I, too, have been told I need a new light engine for my HLR5067 and would really appreciate the aforementioned "how-to" that everyone has been asking for. I don't think it's probably the color wheel, though, as it just plain won't turn on, but after it sitting around for almost a year collecting dust, I've decided to try and do something about it...can't hurt at this point! Thanks for any help/input!

Dave
[email protected]

NOYB111
Wow, if they said $1800 for

Wow, if they said $1800 for the color wheel repair then they are simply replacing the entire light engine which is the lazy way to do it, although easier I imagine. I have no experience and I did my color wheel replacement in under an hour, start to finish, fully assembled and back together. The service manual is like 35MB so it is far too large for anyone to email. I ended up buying it, and downloading on line for about $15. Honestly, it served no purpose to me. It didnt have any more information or detail to help with my color wheel repair than I found in this forum or on line. My best advice for color wheel repair. Just pay close attention to how you are taking the TV apart, when you disconnect a wire, take a fine sharpy pen and label the wire and the spot it came off from, ie. both with a 1, then the next wire you disconnect, both with a 2, then yuo have no problem matching them up to reconnect if you forget. the repair is really quite simple. Just need to be careful and take your time. I removed the light engine, sat it on my kitchen counter and then removing the old color wheel and replacing it with the new was simple. I even replaced the analog board about a month ago because my component connection was broken. That took me 30 minutes and I have no experience. My advice, buy the color wheel and do it yourself if you have no fears about taking it apart. It really isnt that bad.

drmathiesen
I know...that's what I

I know...that's what I thought, too! I ended up buying a new TV that was cheaper than the repair, but since the old one is just sitting around, I thought I'd try and fix it. Where did you buy the color wheel/manual? Thanks!

Dave

Larry Dillon
Dave the manual is so large

Dave the manual is so large because it covers many different models

sq2rd
DanV said: I sure could use

DanV said: I sure could use the service manual for the HLR5067W if anyone would be so kind? [email protected]

Any luck with that manual , i'm looking for it too.

Larry Dillon
I Will send the manual to you

I Will send the manual to you as I went out and purchased it.

Pages

Connect With Techlore