Sony Bravia KLV-40U100M Turns off and then back on while watching program

213 posts / 0 new
Last post
ARPRINCE
Roundabout said: The problem

Roundabout said: The problem on the KLV-40U100M / KLV-32U100M is caused by a defective U24 IC. It is a very small 3 leg IC near the CPU. This part is not available from Sony. You can remove the chip from the board and the set will work, however it may come up in a random mode if you have a brownout situation. This is the reset IC for the Genesis CPU, which shorts out and causes random pulses to be sent to the chip and "flakes" it out. See my post on Agoraquest.com (search for KLV-32U100M on that site) if you want more information about how I found this failure. Hope this helps someone out.

Had to register to thank you!!!!! The fix was awesome!!!! Thanks again.

Alain

ARPRINCE
Thanks for the pictures TV4U2

Thanks for the pictures TV4U2. It was a BIG help!!!!!!

Roundabout
>>>Had to register to thank

>>>Had to register to thank you!!!!! The fix was awesome!!!! Thanks again.

Alain<<<

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another satisfied customer :) :) :)

Glad you got your set working!

Best wishes, Roundabout

Chuck C
I am another most satisfied

I am another most satisfied follower of Roundabout. He provided me not only the information in his postings plus a repeat identification to the service manual which I would have never located the U24 chip without. The disassembly instructions in the service manual were also extremely helpful.
Many thanks to Sreve for his dedicated input!
Chuck C

Roundabout
Thanks for the kind words and

Thanks for the kind words and the PM, Chuck. I don't blame you for not replacing the chip, when it works fine without it :)

If I knew what other Sony models were affected, I would post a link to this thread, I'm pretty sure that there are more that use this IC outside the design parameters. Looks like the Sony engineers blew it on this one...

Roundabout

Marty B
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ROUNDABOUT! I read each page here and when I came upon your fix, I thought "What the heck, I have nothing to lose right?" So I followed your instructions, and BAM! the TV works fine. I called my wife downstairs, plugged the TV in and turned it on, I think her words were "How the hell did you do that? You fixed it?!?!?" To which I replied...I have friends in high places...LOL. Much appreciated!

I removed the U24 by just pulling to off with a pair of tweezers. It kind of came off in two pieces, but it worked!

Thanks again Roundabout!

fixedtx
Thanks roundabout. I removed

Thanks roundabout. I removed the U24 and tv is back on. I hope this has not created a fire hazard though!

fixedtx
Thanks roundabout... Removed

Thanks roundabout... Removed U24 and tv works again. I hope it's not a fire hazard though.

Thanks again

Roundabout
Hi Michael,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the e-mail. I got your message a little while ago. You definitely don't have to worry about a fire hazard in this case, as this component is not a critical power supply part. This is in the CPU section of the TV, and just the fact that it shorts out (mine was actually slightly burned) shows that it can't create a hazard. The voltages in this part of the TV are very low DC voltages, 5 Volts or less. You could actually stick your finger on the CPU board (NOT the Power Supply board) while it's on and not get a shock (not that I'm recommending that) :)

The MCB (circuit boards) used in these sets are epoxy material and will not burn. The older style from years ago (phenolic) could burn but usually only a very limited area. The epoxy MCB's might blacken slightly if a component burns but won't melt or catch fire. I've repaired many epoxy MCB's with wire and solder, jumpering where the copper trace melts.

Rest easy, if any type of fire were to ever occur in these sets, it won't be from this modification/repair. I'm glad you got your set working.

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for the nice e-mail!

Roundabout

foxontherocks
Roundabout,

Roundabout,

Just tried your fix, and it worked great! Thanks a lot!

Darl
I have a Bravia KLV-4OU100M

I have a Bravia KLV-4OU100M that we bought in 2007, it worked for a year and started shutting off on its own here and there and then it decided to never turn on again! We took it to a repair guy and he told us it would cost $600 to fix, so we put we put it in the basement to just sit there! I called Sony and they put me thru to 2 "Reps" and told me there was nothing they could do to help me because I was no longer under warranty!! They would not stand by their product at all!! I would like to file a class action law suit if there are other people out there with this same issue!!! Get in touch!!

Roundabout
Hi Foxontherocks, glad you

Hi Foxontherocks, glad you got your set going again. And thanks for registering to say Thanks, I like to hear when people are able to get their sets working again.

Darl, have you tried my fix yet? It sounds like you have the same problem with yours as everyone else. It's very easy to do and only takes a few minutes. It actually takes longer to disassemble and reassemble the set than it does to remove the U24 IC.

I am sure there are many, many people out there with the same issue, but they haven't found this site yet and seen how to fix their sets. I worked for Sony for many years and I can say honestly (I have no ax to grind one way or the other, since I left there years ago) that they do stand behind their products more than most companies. However, you do have to push them sometimes to get them to do the right thing.

If you only knew the many stories of people I saw making ridiculous demands for free repairs! Many items were severely abused and damaged/dropped/broken/eaten/wet/run over by a truck, etc and still in most cases they fixed it for free. I can't say for sure how they are now, since I left there about 10 years ago, but if you call customer service and yell loud enough (not literally) you will get what you want. I even saw people with 10 year old TV's getting brand new ones for no charge - yes, it happened. Not every day, but if the customer go ahold of the right CSR, they could get almost anything.

If you want to try that route, call and make your case with someone on the 800 number and see if they'll do anything. If that doesn't work, write a letter to headquarters. You are more apt to get a positive response if you write a formal letter addressed to the president of the company. You can get almost anything if you reach the right person.

Meanwhile, if you just want your set to work, check out my fix.

Best wishes, Roundabout

Darl
Roundabout,

Roundabout,

I tryed searching for your fix on that site but I couldnt find it. I am going to try to google that U24 IC, see if I can find a diagram to remove it....I'll let you know how I made out....wish me luck!!!

Roundabout
Darl,

Darl,

All the information you need is right here on this page and the one previous to this one. Read and you will see how easy it is. You don't need to search for anything, it's all right here. There are even pictures that another person took that show exactly where the chip is and how to remove it.

Roundabout

Darl
Hey Roundabout,

Hey Roundabout,

Now we have an even bigger problem....my husband tried to remove the back of the set and he stripped a couple of screws!! Can this get any worse??? I had him bring it to work with him to see if anyone can screw them out. Is there a trick to taking the back off without ruining the tv? I definitly need a picture of where the piece is that needs to come out! Thank you so much for your help and I hope we can get the back off!! lol

Darl

Darl
I cant seem to find the

I cant seem to find the picture of the chip anywhere! I am a terrible searcher!! Is there a link I could go to to find it?

Roundabout
Dael,

Dael,

If you look here

http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/19333/Sony-Bravia-KLV-40U100M-Turns...

the U24 chip is marked clearly with arrows where it's located on the board in the last couple of photos past the disassembly pictures. It's very easy to find if you just look closely. As for stripping the screws out, you have to be careful because the cabinet is plastic and you also have to be sure you know where they go back to (mark them if you have to with a post-it note so you put the same ones back in the same holes). Many non-technical people have already done this repair without difficulty, I'm sure you can too. Just read all the information on these pages and follow instructions. Hope you get it going!

Roundabout

Me12345
Well someone should do

Well someone should do something, I bought a 55" Sony Bravia 3D, I had it for a few days when it started doing the same thing... it will be random, just shuts off for no reason, and turns itself back on after a few seconds, my Green LED light blinks once and it never turns red even while it is off, it stays green, then it finally restarts. and its completely random and I can have it on for hours and it won't turn off and then I can have it on for 10 minutes and it will shut off... and when it shuts off then sometimes it will keep shutting off 3 or 4 times back to back. I have tried everything and no matter what settings I change it still kept doing it.. Finally I took the TV back to the store. it was still within the 30 day period so they exchanged it for me... gave me a brand new TV still in the box, just like the first one I bought... Well I thought it was over, and within a few hours the new TV started doing the same thing... WHAT THE HELL!!! two brand new TV's with the same exact problem. I have called sony and they walked through me with troubleshooting and anything possible that could be causing it on settings is not set. So is Bravia just a piece of crap or what?

TV4U2
The photos are back on page 7
CalScorps
Thanks Roundabout & TV4U2,

Thanks Roundabout & TV4U2, You saved me the cost of a new TV or $420 repair bill

Roundabout
I'm glad you got your set

SmileCool

I'm glad you got your set working. $420 though? Wow, I had no idea that shops were charging that much to fix this problem. Where did you take it? When I was working at Sony, we charged a flat rate of $149 (IIRC) to fix a TV - no matter the problem, how many hours to fix, or how many parts it needed. Of course, that was 10 years ago...but wow!

TV4U2

Roundabout said: SmileCool I'm glad you got your set working. $420 though? Wow, I had no idea that shops were charging that much to fix this problem. Where did you take it? When I was working at Sony, we charged a flat rate of $149 (IIRC) to fix a TV - no matter the problem, how many hours to fix, or how many parts it needed. Of course, that was 10 years ago...but wow!

Ya Roundabout a basic $125 for diagnose, thats one hour and at $80-$350 on replacement of boards only and $350 about up to $1000 other. So that $450 is a little high but in the ball park from what I'm seeing. I also called around to some others and checked on the price. I think it has to be the city he's in.

Just think... you prob could have made 5k or 10k by now if you didnt tell us about it.. lol...

... TV4U2

Darl
Yea, I was asked $600 to fix

Yea, I was asked $600 to fix mine for the same problem!!!

Maty
Having the same problem with

Having the same problem with 52W5100. The TV was replaced twice and still the same problem

TV4U2
Maty said: Having the same

Maty said: Having the same problem with 52W5100. The TV was replaced twice and still the same problem

Best thing to do?

Read over a few of the steps a few pages back and try them. Roundabout my know now more on the 52, but I think its the same problem. Dont recall it in the 5100..

Maty
To be more precise, I bought

To be more precise, I bought the TV at Fry's. Within days it started the off/on problem. Fry's replaced my TV. Same problem. Sony came over and replaced all internal boards (2 visits). Still the same problem. Sony replaced the TV. Still the same problem. Is it possible that the Comcast box is doing it to me?

Maty
I captured the problem:
TV4U2

Maty said: To be more precise, I bought the TV at Fry's. Within days it started the off/on problem. Fry's replaced my TV. Same problem. Sony came over and replaced all internal boards (2 visits). Still the same problem. Sony replaced the TV. Still the same problem. Is it possible that the Comcast box is doing it to me?

Your video was nice, but my tv wasnt even doing that. it just went from working to nothing. Just a black screen. (the little green power light on the right wouldnt turn on)

There is a chip on the board that we took off that help turn the tv back on. (we talked about that and had pic of how to a few pages back) As soon as that chip was snipped off, the tv return to normal and has been working like new.. No problems Yet to speek of and its on a lot.

Dont think its your box. Unless your resetting the box at the same time your reseting the tv?

Darl
I just want to thank

I just want to thank Roundabout soooooooo much for your help!!!! We finally got the screws out of the back of the tv and were able to take off the U24 and the tv is WORKING now!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! You deserve a special place in heaven!!!!!

TV4U2
Darl said: I just want to

Darl said: I just want to thank Roundabout soooooooo much for your help!!!! We finally got the screws out of the back of the tv and were able to take off the U24 and the tv is WORKING now!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! You deserve a special place in heaven!!!!!

HAY ROUND>... mark up one more ...

Pages

Connect With Techlore