Sony Bravia KLV-40U100M Turns off and then back on while watching program

213 posts / 0 new
Last post
Evelyn31909
My sony KLV-40U100M also

My sony KLV-40U100M also turns on and off.  Mine has been at a local repair shop for a month and they can not get the tv to malfunction at their shop.  They tell me they have called sony and are told they don't know what causes the problem that I stated it had.  Can someone tell me the part number that corrects this problem PLEASE.  It is so frustrating.

luvonlypower
Larry is wrong. A defect is

Larry is wrong. A defect is a flaw and that's what the problem is with this set. It does not have to be involved w/safety to be a recall either.

To the poster about her recent on/off problem, you can call Sony or Sonystyle (find internet address) and ask the tech people. It may be the "b" board, but I do not recall it anymore, because I did call to see what board it was that apparently goes wrong and how much it costs, but that was back when I bought the tv, then googled the set later on to find out it has a defect, whether they want to admit it or not.

This product is no longer available. I wonder why? If it were available still at some stores, go to sonystyle (on line) and purchase the 3 year warranty that runs concurrently w/the one year one so basically, you are covered for 2 additional years beyond the first initial year it's warrantied for anyway. They offer a cheap warranty, rather than getting ripped off by getting it from the store when you purchase the product. You can only get the sonystyle less costly warranty if you purchase it within a certain time frame after you purchased the tv.

Dwray
OK Capri You say it does not

OK Capri You say it does not have to be involved w/safety to be a recall THEN Name the TV's That have EVER BEEN Recalled For a NON Safety Issue !! OR Name any TV that have EVER been RECALLED in the past 30 years except the mid 1970'S Zenith That Could catch Fire !

Larry Dillon
I am wrong? PROVE IT!!!!

I am wrong? PROVE IT!!!! LMAOROTFl just had major brain surgery and i know bettere then that!

tom52
Evelyn31909 said:

Evelyn31909 said:

My sony KLV-40U100M also turns on and off.  Mine has been at a local repair shop for a month and they can not get the tv to malfunction at their shop.  They tell me they have called sony and are told they don't know what causes the problem that I stated it had.  Can someone tell me the part number that corrects this problem PLEASE.  It is so frustrating.

Evelyn, I don't know when you directed your question specifically to me, and if you've found a solution. The part number listed on my work order is 178946521-PCB(A). So that means it is the "A" board. The price listed, which I did not have to pay because I have the extended service contract, was $250 plus tax. I'm telling you that all this has completely altered the way I view this technology, and what I will do in the future--which is not to buy Sony, for starters.

asaka1975
My husband and I bought the

My husband and I bought the Sony Bravia KLV 40u100m in August of 2006. Well, here it is, less than 2 years later, and we are having to buy a brand new tv. Our tv has has always had the same problem you are all talking about...it turns off and on by itself, very irritating, but we lived with it. well, last week the screen turned green with black vertical stripes, the entire screen. I have read that this is a common problem with these tv's, but apparently the entire screen being green is not quite as common. I called QualXServe and they sent someone out this morning to take a look. When he called whoever he had to call I heard him keep saying "yes, it's the entire screen.", with emphasis on the word entire, which told me things weren't looking good. I was correct. The quote to repair the less than 2 year old tv is $1232.50...pretty much the cost of a brand new tv. I can't believe that a trusted name like Sony has so many issues with these tv's. So I guess I'm getting a new tv. Doesn't make sense to me to pay over $1200 to fix it.

Taoseno
I have the same POS TV made

I have the same POS TV made by Sony. Went off yesterday and never came back on; you call Sony and they act like they have never heard of this problem. I WILL NEVER BUY A SONY PRODUCT OF ANY KIND EVER AGAIN!

Taoseno
I was told by a technician

I was told by a technician that the problem is the lamp and my extended warranty does not cover lamps of course. Does this TV have a lamp Sony KLV-40U100M ? It is football season and I am pissed...........

Steelerfan
Had the same problem with the

Had the same problem with the KLV-40U100M turning off and on and then it went completely dead . The repair shop stated the "A Board" needed to be replaced. The repair cost $440.00. Hope this helps the people who are wondering how much repair is going to cost, at least you have a ballpark figure to work with. So far the tv is working, so far...........

Good Luck

Dave with a Sony
i have the bravia KLV-32U100M

i have the bravia KLV-32U100M and have the same problem -- the TV used to turn off/on for a few seconds while I watched anything (DVD, cable, etc.). then it just started turning off (and, occasionally, on) for long periods of time.

mishimasan
I used to think that this was

I used to think that this was a problem until I realised what TV was doing to my life ;)

Larry Dillon
A board very common problem

A board very common problem on this TV set!aS far as a recall it was the old Zenith croma colorII that had the safety cap issue.

bosox13
I also have the Sony model

I also have the Sony model KLV and today it caught FIRE. If I had not been home, I would of lost my home. I will NOT bring it back into my home. 11/5/2008

bosox13
my sony KLV caught fire this

my sony KLV caught fire this morning. Good thing i was home.

joanie
What exactly happened ? This

What exactly happened ? This is a lot more serious than turning on and off and should be reported to sony.

Mike50
My Bravia is now only two

My Bravia is now only two years old. Was going on and off for about 6 mos before it went off and never came back on. Was always on a surge protector. SONY claims are unaware of any problems with this set. The techs who came knew immediatly what was wrong and quoated a price on the spot. It's the power supply board they replaced. Cost $450. Will never buy SONY again.

Mike

Jim 67
Another Sony KLV-40U100M

Another Sony KLV-40U100M owner that is now a large silver brick. My set also would turn off/on for no reason about once a month. It now has a

ozbryce
My KDL MODEL has just started

My KDL MODEL has just started doing this, Im calling service tomorrow, so glad after finding this site that i purchased a 5 yr warranty.

will advise my outcome.

ozbryce
My KDL model bravia has just

My KDL model bravia has just started doing this as well, im so glad i bought a 5yr warranty. it is almost 13months from purchase that this started.

in addition i hae had issues connecting digitsl and hdmi cables to this set as well. Either way ill call support tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is!

Flashlight Guy
I've had the Sony Bravia KLV

I've had the Sony Bravia KLV-40U100M for over two years before the off/on and not coming on at all for a while issues surfaced. Sony acknowledges the problems for other TV models, but not this one. Contact them. They need to hear from all of us.

Flashlight Guy
Forgot to mention that when

Forgot to mention that when the TV refuses to come on it eventually does after numerous unplugings and various times waiting.
Now that a fire has been reported, it certainly is a safety issue.

Has anyone actually had the problem permanently fixed?

Larry Dillon
Fire? Have'nt heard of any

Fire? Have'nt heard of any safety issues with a sony for a while

LizR
I have asony bravia that will

I have asony bravia that will shut itself off while watching it. the blink code is 9

Larry Dillon
re4place the two diodes on

re4place the two diodes on the G board. two diodes D6116 and D6301

j4bs
I have this piece of crap klv

I have this piece of crap klv-40u100m also. Same problem no power at all. I ordered a "brand new" (so Sony says) A board, replace the old one, and finally my tv turns on, has a great picture and great sound for 7 hours. Then guess what, picture goes black sound stays on, I shut it off and turn it back on and it will not turn back on again. I literally got this board from Sony 2 days ago. $220 A board supposedly brand new, dead again. I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another Sony. What a bunch of overpriced crap.

RHJ
Hi i have a sony bravia kdl

Hi i have a sony bravia kdl 32v2500 and it switches off and blinks 9 time and then will not start up again. we did not buy the extened warranty :( but i noticed some one else had the same problem and Larry said to :

re4place the two diodes on the G board. two diodes D6116 and D6301

would this work for my set? has anyone tried this successfully?
I really don't want to bin this TV it cost a fortune but if it's likey to cost 300-500 i could just get a new lcd tv for the same price.

Larry Dillon
yes replace those Diodes it

yes replace those Diodes it is very cheap repair!!!!

RHJ
wow that was a quick responce

wow that was a quick responce :)

thank you, I'll try to get hold of those diodes and try it.

Flashlight Guy
I have the 32 inch monitor

I have the 32 inch monitor version, and have had the same TV shutting off, perhaps coming right on again or not. Unplugging and replugging does not help. It comes on again when it wants. Sony has only acknowledged this problem with other models, some of which are simply upgraded over the internet (yes, they have monitors with internet connections).
However, take heart. The problem went away. In the last three months I only had one incident, where the TV shut itself off and then immediately on again.

berealallday
i have the same problem with

i have the same problem with this sony bravia lcd hdtv m#klv-40u100m. damm tv turn on and off on me when im watching tv .

Pages

Connect With Techlore