LG LCD 20" 20LS7D perfect sound but no picture

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
mikeydidit
LG LCD 20" 20LS7D perfect sound but no picture

I just got this and when I hook it up to my dish 622 hd receiver via an hdmi cable I have perfect sound but the screen is black and I can not even see a menu or options. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as it is a customer return so there is no warranty on this unit.

MOtvGuy
I'm afraid you've got an

I'm afraid you've got an issue with your set you're not going to be able to handle without it going to a service shop.  It sounds like the panel lamps aren't lighting which could be anything from the main board to the power supply board to a bad invertor board. 

montie
Anyone have any suggestions

Anyone have any suggestions other than taking it to a service center? I just can`t believe a new lcd would have a bad board and no fix other than a repair shop but stranger things have happened. I tried to contact LG but they were no help and that is the problem with modern day electronics as it cost more to repair them that to replace them.

Larry Dillon
Thats why you NEVER purchace

Thats why you NEVER purchace a TV set like this or the larger types without a warranty or an extended warranty I'm afraid.  This is not like the days of testing a few parts.  You will most likely need to replace the entire board. Good Luck with this repair.

MOtvGuy
mikeydidit said: Anyone have

mikeydidit said: Anyone have any suggestions other than taking it to a service center? I just can`t believe a new lcd would have a bad board and no fix other than a repair shop but stranger things have happened. I tried to contact LG but they were no help and that is the problem with modern day electronics as it cost more to repair them that to replace them.

Unfortunately, even if you wanted to try and fix it yourself the difficulties of getting the correct board is somewhat daunting and a gamble.  In this age of Plasma and LCD TV's, the sets, even amoung the same model number, are manufactured in different plants in different countries.  Because of this, the sets are not identical, there are differences and so because of that there are often several main boards available for each model and they aren't compatible.  Once a non-authorized service person buys a board from a manufacturer it's theirs.  You can't return it unless you have an account as an authorized servicer.  Installing a wrong version board into your set could leave you with different symptoms than what you've got now and unless you're in the business and have access to these manufacturers authorized websites or tech support lines it would be impossible for you to determine exactly what board needs to be ordered to go into your set.

Sorry.  

tbone11
I recently bought the same TV

I recently bought the same TV and after about a week I started to get perfect sound but no picture. The first few times this happened simply turning it off and then back on restored the picture. However, about a week later, turning it off an on, and unplugging the tv for a few hours did not work. I returned it to Crutchfield (world class cusotmer service)  and they sent me a new tv a few days ago. Last night? Great sound but no picture with the replacement they sent me.......

Larry Dillon
Return it again and get a

Return it again and get a different brand.

tbone11
Larry Dillon said: Return it

Larry Dillon said: Return it again and get a different brand.

Amen... as it appears that LG is a recent entrant into the TV market so I'll stick eit the tried and true (Sansung, Toshiba, Sony, et al)....

pacman31
I have a very similar problem

I have a very similar problem with my TV. When I turn the TV on the screen comes on for a very brief moment and then turns black. I took the back off and found that Three capacitors on the power board were swollen. this is a sure sign of a bad capacitor. The capacitors are located in C313, C303 and C212 on my board.

Connect With Techlore