Toshiba 44nhm84 - won't turn on

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
paulski
Toshiba 44nhm84 - won't turn on

Hi everyone

I have a Toshiba 44nhm84 - great TV, a few years old now. Once in while the darn thing just won't turn on, usually after it has been running for a while, then turned off and we try to turn it back on again. The behavior is that it will make a kind of insect buzzing sound, try to turn on for about 20-30 seconds, and then turn itself back off. I suppose it's related to it being hot.

Has anyone encountered tbis and got to a solution? I believe I bought extended warranty for it but I think my chances of reproducing this at the store are almost nil.

Thanks,

Paul

Larry Dillon
iIhave seen this problem from

iIhave seen this problem from a friends shop.  He is Authorized Toshiba, and works a lot on DLP TV sets.  He has infomed me, that he himself, has found the Ballest  board to cause this.  The part number is AZ684019, or the AZ684020 Lamp assembly.  He said also the power supply could be causing the problem you are encountering.  This is not the type of repair a user or non-tech should attemt to repair, as you have to know how to trouble shoot these circuits unless you want to "shotgun" the repair, and that could get pretty expensive.  Good Luck, and let us know what you find or what fixes this TV set.

paulski
Larry Dillon said: iIhave

Larry Dillon said: iIhave seen this problem from a friends shop.  He is Authorized Toshiba, and works a lot on DLP TV sets.  He has infomed me, that he himself, has found the Ballest  board to cause this.  The part number is AZ684019, or the AZ684020 Lamp assembly.  He said also the power supply could be causing the problem you are encountering.  This is not the type of repair a user or non-tech should attemt to repair, as you have to know how to trouble shoot these circuits unless you want to "shotgun" the repair, and that could get pretty expensive.  Good Luck, and let us know what you find or what fixes this TV set.

Wow - thanks for the detailed info Larry. After I sent this post I realized that I have a service plan with Best Buy so I definitely won't be attempting this myself. Your info is still good for discussion with the tech.

Larry Dillon
Great!  Let us know if they

Great!  Let us know if they tell you what was wrong with this TV set.

Niclynne
Paul -

Paul -

have you heard from Best Buy what the problem was with the Toshiba?  I have the same model with the exact same problem.  I'd like to be able to tell a technican exactly what I need, rather than go through the trouble shooting as I don't have a warranty.

Thanks,

Niclynne

paulski
As it turns out it was simply

As it turns out it was simply a bulb replacement that was required - worked like a charm.

I had actually bought a floor model and am glad I negotiated a discount off the on sale price for it, since the bulb went much sooner than I expected. 

Larry Dillon
Glad it was a simple repair.

Glad it was a simple repair. Thanks for letting us know.

Niclynne
Paulski -

Paulski -

I checked out my bulb and it doesn't look broken (no broken glass in the bulb like the TV repair shop showed me).  Was your bulb shattered and not working, or was it not shattered and not working?  I don't want to buy a new bulb and have it not be the problem!

Thanks!

paulski
My bulb did not have signs of

My bulb did not have signs of damage that I could detect. It looked just like the new one as far as I could tell - I think it had just reached the end of its life. You'll need a new bulb someday anyway I suppose...

Larry Dillon
No the bulbs do not

No the bulbs do not necessarily have to look bad to be bad, but it is a lot less expensive to replace the bulb then to call out a service man to tell you you need a new bulb anyway. 90% of the time, the bulb is the problem so to me those are pretty good odds. Yes you are correct, you will need a new on one day anyway.

bonkjmma
I have the exact same problem

I have the exact same problem. The repair guy had previously replaced the ballast board but the problem has continued. I have found that if I lightly tap on the back of TV when it's making the buzzing sound, it will stop and the TV turns on. 

Any ideas on this one?

Wondering
My DLPTV just quit working

My DLPTV just quit working and the red led was blinking, after replacing the bulb, it still didn't work, just red led blinking, I took the back off and blew the thing out with air and it works just fine now. These dlp tv's have 3 cooling fans not just the one on the back and they get clogged and overheat the boards, just keep them all clean and you will have LOTS better bulb life and no blinking led's

GusZ
I have a Toshiba 44nhm84 and

I have a Toshiba 44nhm84 and will not turn on, the following are the symptoms:
Front panel lights:
Press power on – green light flashes for about 30 seconds
Sounds like it is starting, but after about 30 seconds the
TV shuts down and operation indicator light goes back to red

Thanks, for the help

GusZ
I have a Toshiba 44nhm84 and

I have a Toshiba 44nhm84 and it does not want to turn on.
The following are the symptoms:
Front panel lights:
Operation indicator – glows red
Press power on – green light flashes for about 30 seconds
Sounds like it is starting, but after about 30 seconds the
TV shuts down and operation indicator light goes back to red

Drew888
I had the same problem with

I had the same problem with buzzing sound but just won't turn on. I just replaced the bulb 4 mths ago so i knew that could not be it. Took it apart and clean it the best I could. Works great now. I guess with these elctronics they are very sensitive with dust. Just give it the annual spring cleaning and your TV will last much much longer

Cheers,

tom wong
My Toshiba LCD TV 37HL67 is

My Toshiba LCD TV 37HL67 is not turning on. I bought it in Aug of 2007. The yellow light blinks and blinks and blinks. If I unplug the TV for a few minutes-it comes on. Toshiba says they have no known problems but this seems like a pretty common one.

Milissa
After uverse signal went 5hen

After uverse signal went 5hen rebooted my tv went 9ff and came back on wi5h sound no screen. Then i turned off and on again and got nothing. The green and red lights are blinking it acts like it want to turn on i can hear 5he speakers come on then after about 30 sec of blinking light it turnes off. Then trys to turn back on again. I unplugged and plugged in its. Not working what do i do its a toshiba 65 in dlp hd tv.

Wondering
DLP TV's are known for

DLP TV's are known for clogging the processor fans because they stay on constantly, even when the unit is turned off, the best solution for this situation is to clean the processor fans regulary. this is a well known problem and will cause the main processor to fail resulting in a fault code in the form of blinking panel lights and no picture. please clean the processor fans and keep them clean, there are three of them. I have found that if after the unit cools down if you will unplug it until the next time you want to use it, it will stay clean lots longer. I use a power strip and just turn it off about an hour after turning the TV off, this will keep the processor fans from running and collecting dirt when the unit is not in use. I hope this info will help, it worked just fine on mine and i had the same problem and almost got rid of the TV because of it. Just clean the fans with compressed air and keep them clean and it should work just fine.

kimthai
hi,

hi,

i just want to share my experience.... i have a very similar problem with my tv with the same model is that the tv does not do anything just a amber light blinking when i tun it on .... after reading and researching on many posts ( without tv for many weeks no hockey,, that painful) i finally got it working again ( oh ya i just order a lamp and it is on the way too oh well eventually i will need one anyway) how i do it .... just turn on the tv (i had it unplugged for quite sometime now) and gave a few slaps on the back of the tv ,,,, that's all !! now its working !! Yahoo !!

Connect With Techlore