Toshiba 50H71 Rear Projection TV

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
JWhite
Toshiba 50H71 Rear Projection TV

This TV is only 4 years old. As of 4 days ago it won't turn on. Iv'e tried re-pluging it in several times. I can hear it "power-up", but, I get NO picture and NO sound. All I get is a red blinking light on the "power Indicator".... What could be the problem.... How much $ am I up aginst here?  Is it "terminal"?....oooooohhh I hope not! ;)

JWhite

Darnell Taylor

I also a Toshiba 51" (model 50h71) that just began to act up. I have had this tv for about 6 years with no previous problem until last night. The power indicator light just blinks, there is no sound ord picture. The only thing I hear is a relay clicking open and shut. Is this a power supply problem or a convergence gone bad....? And if so, I have a little soldering  experience, how hard will it be for me to complete this repair myself.

Also, how much would the parts cost on average?

Thanks for your help!

D. Taylor 

Larry Dillon
JWhite and Darnell Taylor,

JWhite and Darnell Taylor, This could be one or a combination of problems.  There are two main power supply capacitors in this set.  they are C-809 and C-810.  One their negitive lead on the printed circuit boar, you may need to repair the area, and resolder that lead also.  Because the factory left out a printed circuit board eyelet, the connection will come loose over time.  Also be sure to check the fuse number F-860, as this will sometimes blow when these connection are bad.  If you replace the fuse and the set works, you could be making a fire trap if you do not resolder these connections as they have caused some problems in the past, as this is why Toshiba has sent out a service bulliten on this problem.  Now one thing for the both of you.  If you do not have any solid stae repair experience, please play it safe and do not attempt to do this repair by yourself. Call in a pro to assist you as these capacitors may be floating from the printed circuit board and are fully charges up and can cause a seriuos shock to you.  Bottom line?  BE CAREFULL!!!   Good luck and let us know how you made out with this repair. 

Darnell Taylor
With the c809 and c810

With the c809 and c810 capacitors you said to repair the area...explain? also is there a way to discharge a floating capacitor to make sure its not charged? Is it possible to change the fuse f860 and the TV work With a floating or bad c809 and c810 capacitor? Thanks for your help! D Taylor

Larry Dillon
You can discharge the

You can discharge the capacitor with a 20 to 100 ohm resistor across the terminals for a short time.  when i say repair the area, sometimes some carbon or burning has been going on.  sometimes you simply need to resolder these connections really well. And yes these connection are intermittant and sometimes the fuse will blow and then the parts are making contact and all I am saying is, if the set does work after you replace the fuse , make sure you do resolder these componets.

JWhite
Larry Dillon said: JWhite and

Larry Dillon said: JWhite and Darnell Taylor, This could be one or a combination of problems.  There are two main power supply capacitors in this set.  they are C-809 and C-810.  One their negitive lead on the printed circuit boar, you may need to repair the area, and resolder that lead also.  Because the factory left out a printed circuit board eyelet, the connection will come loose over time.  Also be sure to check the fuse number F-860, as this will sometimes blow when these connection are bad.  If you replace the fuse and the set works, you could be making a fire trap if you do not resolder these connections as they have caused some problems in the past, as this is why Toshiba has sent out a service bulliten on this problem.  Now one thing for the both of you.  If you do not have any solid stae repair experience, please play it safe and do not attempt to do this repair by yourself. Call in a pro to assist you as these capacitors may be floating from the printed circuit board and are fully charges up and can cause a seriuos shock to you.  Bottom line?  BE CAREFULL!!!   Good luck and let us know how you made out with this repair. 

Larry, and others.

I had "Sears In-home Repair Service" fixed my ToshibaH71 Projection TV's "blinking Light" problem. I don't know anything about the problem,parts and stuff like that, but from what I gather when they were working on it there was a problem with the "SUB IC". and it triped a fuse and then another one. Here is a list of what they replaced and the cost. So far (and knock on wood) it was worth it. My limit  to fix it or junk it was $500. The TV is now running just fine. They said by replacing the Output PCB with this NEW conversion kit that I won't have any problem with it because it is a newer- version and it's also a better design.

Parts:

1 FUSE ..................................8.34

1 FUSE...................................2.91

1  01 CONNV  KIT.................49.93

Tax........................................3.98

Total Parts...........................65.16

Total labor........................225.78

Total was..........................290.94

Thanks to all especially LARRYDILLON for all yall's help. I hope this sheds a little light for others. And with those labor costs, I think I want to become a Sears Tech as well! And PLEASE don't call me out on all the particulars, I'm just relaying what Sears told me....lol

Jeff

Larry Dillon
Thank you Jeff for your input

Thank you Jeff for your input. It is folks like you that make techlore.com SO GREAT!

Robyndelbi
i have a 2002 Toshiba tv as

i have a 2002 Toshiba tv as well, model number 50H71. The red color scheme is off, and shows a red light on teh screen that wont move. It kind of makes the picture look 3D. I heard from one person it was something called a RED CMI card or chip, and from another person that it was the convergence? Someone from this website had responded and said that if i take teh speakers off, behind them should be color knobs that i would be able to adjust, but after taking the speakers off, there was nothing behind them.. Can anyone help me figure out whats wrong??
THANKS!!
-Robyn

dallast
I have a model that is 50h12.

I have a model that is 50h12. It was manufactured in 9/02. Maybe I have a convergence problem. The screen is jumpy and the picture moves from right to left. It also makes the sound go on and off. Sometimes there are diagonal lines scrolling across the screen.

tyeub1984
I have a toshiba 50h71. no

I have a toshiba 50h71. no matter what input i plug into the screens just flickers. even when i contact to cable. is there an easy fix for this issue?

tyeub1984
I have a toshiba 50h71. no

I have a toshiba 50h71. no matter what input i plug into the screens just flickers. even when i contact to cable. is there an easy fix for this issue?

Larry Dillon
you most likely have bad

you most likely have bad surface mounted caps on the hyper board. you can get that board overhauled at ptscorp.com, or look up the Toshibas ZIG-ZAG problem here on this site as if you are handy there is lots of instruction here on this site for that repair!!
Larry Dillon

Travisb
Robyn

Robyn
I am wondering if you have found out your problem and what it was? Seeming how it has been a few years I am assuming you have had it fixed or done something else. I hope this finds you and you can help me out. I have the same problem as of this morning and don't know what to do. My tv is a different model # but it shouldn't matter since it is the same make. I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks,
Travis

Connect With Techlore