Help with Samsung HCN653W Rear Projection

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
aggiebb
Help with Samsung HCN653W Rear Projection

I have owned this TV for approx 3 years. While watching last week the TV shut down. I have attempted to power up, but only red timer light on the front glows. I have checked the fuse, it is OK. There is no visible signs of any damage. After unplugging for several minutes and plugging back in the TV does make a sound, but does not power up. Any suggestions??? Thanks.

Larry Dillon
Your TV has a short in the

Your TV has a short in the power supply, and or the sweep drive, sweep power supply,or the convergence module on this set will also kill the set from time to time.  If you have a service manual, and a multimeter there with you and you know how to troubleshoot solidstate printed circuit board, the first thing to do would be to get a servoice manual, located the convergence module, disconnect all the plugs to the module.  Next pull off all trhee picture tube sockets off the picture tubes and lay them aside, making sure they do not touch anything.. Plug in the set.   If it comes on with sound, you most likley have a bad convergence module.   Here are the spects and part numbers. Part Number: BP95-00415B,  Description: ASSY SUB PCB-CG MOD, Stock Availability: Item usually ships in 5 business days, Price: $87.02. you get it here at http://www.samsungparts.com/,enter your model number  If the set does not come on then your going to need to trouble shoot the sweep and main power supply's.  I have had in this model the Hi voltage block cause this set to go bad once .  If you have no electronic troubleshooting skills, Play it safe and call in a tech to assist you in this repair.  Good Luck, and let know how you made out.

I

aggiebb
Thank-you

Thank-you

I followed your steps for the convergence module, upper right with two black chips correct?  plugged in set and got sound only.  I am ordering the part tonight and will let you know how the repair goes.  TV shop wanted $85 to pick TV up and minimum of $125 just to look plus parts.  Maybe that 6 years of training as an electronic technician in the Navy will pay off. 

Larry Dillon
Good Job. Now I cannot say

Good Job. Now I cannot say that there is any other problems, But you have found one that is causeing your set to be in a dead state. Keep us informed.

aggiebb
I rcvd the part today, but I

I rcvd the part today, but I am confused. I rcvd BP95-00415B ASSY Sub PCB-CG mod. This part does not look like anything on my TV. Where does it go? Or did I get the wrong part?

Larry Dillon
You sure you ordered the

You sure you ordered the right part?. if I were you I would call the Samsung parts center. There is a sub and a convergence board.

aggiebb
I did rcv the part I ordered

I did rcv the part I ordered BP95-00415B, however this is not the part for my TV.  My board is part number BP41-00045B.  The samsung website indicates that is part is no longer avialable..  What now??? 

Larry Dillon
You ordered the wrong part my

You ordered the wrong part my friend. Send it back and have someone rebuild the board you have. Simply order from Samsung the two large black IC's on the board that start with STK.

aggiebb
I talked with Samsung.  They

I talked with Samsung.  They did claim that the board I rcvd was a replacement board for mine.  They are incorrect.  Anyway, I took my set to the local repair shop.  The owner said he has had many problems with samsung part numbers being confusing and many times just plain wrong.  He is going to replace the two IC chips on the con. amp.  We will see how this goes. 

Larry Dillon
Ok please keep us informed,

Ok please keep us informed, and I think you did the right thing. 

adrenaline
I am having a similar problem

I am having a similar problem with my Samsung HCN653W.   I
followed Larry's instruction to disconnect all plugs going into the
convergen board and VIOLA, the TV turned on, obviously, with
convengence problem on the screen.   I looked on Google and
cannot find a replacement for the entire PCB with the 2 black
convergence amp IC's (STK392-040) already mounted.   However,
I have found this convergence IC on several site on
google.     Here are some of the websites:

http://richtechparts.com/shop/

http://www.electronix.com/catalog/pro...

http://www.digchip.com/datasheets/par...

I am going to order these ICs and replace them myself.   I will let you all know the progress. 

aggiebb
I picked up my TV Thursday. 

I picked up my TV Thursday.  Everything works geat.  Total cost of repair $200.  I did rcv some disturbing news.  The repairman, in business here since 1970, says that I can only expect 3 to 4 years life from these chips as they are the hardest working part of the set.  He also indicated that the bulbs will usually go in about 7 to 8 years and it is time to buy a new TV as the cost to repair is too high.  Oh well, guess I will try to enjoy the next four years with this set and save up for another one.  What ever happened to my Mom and Dad's console Zenith that lasted 25 years???  Thanks for the advice throughout this process, I learned a lot. 

adrenaline
THanks for the update.   So

THanks for the update.   So he did replace the two convergence chips STK392-040's on the convergence module, right?

adrenaline
Finally replaced the 2

Finally replaced the 2 convergence ICs. When I
turn the TV on, the RGB colors are completely OFF! The
manual convergence control in the TV menu can only adjust the B and R
only and the G is not adjustable..... When i tried to play
a movie on the DVD, I also noticed the R is "bowed" on top and
bottom.

BTW, I made sure the 2 convergence ICs are replaced properly. All pins are checked for accidental shorts.

Do you think the ICs I bought are fakes? I paid $15 each.

Any help is appreciated.

Does anyone have the service manual for the Samsung HCN653W? --THX

adrenaline
Hey aggiebb

Hey aggiebb

Could you check if the BP95-00415B that you
bought from Samsung Parts has the same connectors as the
BP41-00045B?   It should have 1 power, R, G, B and a control
connector to the main board.  

I am thinking of ordering this module from them.

THX

aggiebb
sorry, have been at a

sorry, have been at a conference and have not checked email in a while.  the tech did replace the two ICs on convergence board.  he told me that even if I had been able to replace the chips myself, the alignment takes a couple of hours even for him, an experienced tech.  He also said that you cannot ever trust Samsung part numbers.  He indicated to me that Samsung is not even sure of their own part numbers.  The board in my TV does have the connections you mention, but the 415B board did not have but one connection.  I returned that board to Samsung, but I have not checked to see if they have credited my account.  Hope this helps. 

TimR
Hey AggieBB

Hey AggieBB

One thing you have to be VERY careful of doing when replacing the IC's,  is to also check ALL the resistors (usually the 1W) to make sure they aren't toasted.  When the IC chips fail,  the resistors usually do too. 

If you have burnt out resistors,  and replace the IC's without changing the resistors,  chances are you will burn out the IC's again immediately.

You can usually detect the burnt out resistors visually,  since they will actually look burnt.  Also, check them with a multimeter.  Burnt resistors will be open and offer no resistance at all. 

If your board with the IC's only has the IC's on it and doesn't have the flyback on it (usually sub- COMMANDO) then your convergence data is stored off the board.   If you change all the resistors and IC's properly, then your convergence should be fine when the set is turned on.

Check your service manual for the proper resistor values.  

WFS
I have owned this TV for

I have owned this TV for approx 4 1/2 years it's a samsung HCN5527W. While watching 3 nights ago the TV shut down. I have attempted to power up, but only red timer light on the front glows. I have checked the fuse, it is OK. There is no visible signs of any BLOWN FUSES. After unplugging for several minutes and plugging back in the TV does make a sound, but does not power up.

I was going to attemp to change out the STK392-040 CHIPS myself but didn't have the correct documentation. So I called the tv repairman and he did change out the Convergence chips along with two rsistors that were damaged. When the tv came back on there was a RED Permanent line around 12" in the middle of the screen and one 4 " vertical. It looks like a kid took a red sharpe. The tv tech said that the picture tube would have to b replaced but would cost too much and not worth it.

Another problem is that the tv channels on the direct tv listings are a bit blurred. The perfect auto focus will only focus up to 38% then trys again but 38% again then goes back to the picture after it fails, perfect picture" has displayed "no sensor data" . How do I set up the Alignment for this tv to get the picture back into alignment? Thanks.

Wfs

FredG
I have a Samsung HCN653W that

I have a Samsung HCN653W that went out a few days ago. It tries to power up and after a few seconds it powers it self off. It keeps repeating the same sequence over and over again until I power the TV off. I hear a little bit of sound but no image in between the attempts to power up. What do you think the problem it?

FredG
Does anybody have a soft copy

Does anybody have a soft copy of the service manual for a Samsung HCN653W rear projection TV?

SATMAN99
I have a samsung hcn653w big

I have a samsung hcn653w big screen tv.

I located the convergence module, disconnect all the plugs to the module. Next pulled off all three picture tube sockets off the picture tubes and lay them aside, making sure they do not touch anything. Plug in the set, No power or sound. Still have flashing timer light and audio pop when i try to turn it on.
Any tips?

Connect With Techlore