Panasonic Viera -- won't turn on - help?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cphoto
Panasonic Viera -- won't turn on - help?

I have a Panasonic Viera, HDTV, 42in, bought in Oct 2004. The TV won't turn on and there is no red 'ready' light.   Its 220V, 385W plasma tv using a step down transformer from 220 to 110 volt for us in the US.  I am using a plug adapter to covert the plug.

I had a 3000W transformer which I thought was the problem.  The TV does'nt work with the large transformer but I suspect that it is faulty.  I replaced the transformer with a smaller 150w , A Radio Shack, Voltage Valet Heavy Duty Step Up Transformer TU150UL - tran.   I plugged the TV into the transformerand the TV worked for about 20min and then stopped.  Now, I can't get it to turn back on again -- at all.  (TV is only component plugged into the transformer).  I have the same problem with my DVD recorder and CD player (all Panasonic and purchased together as a set). 

Is it the TV (power cord, fuse,???) or the Transformer? Do you have any advice or can you help me with this problem?

thx

C

Larry Dillon
This is a very hard call my

This is a very hard call my friend, without being there to test the set. If there is no power or standby power light I would say first check the Main AC fuse. Anytime you go and adapt a unit to another unit, Yes even though you use a transformer to step down or step up the input voltage, your looking for big trouble. Older solid state sets could handle alot of voltage differances, but these new digital circuits? Not on your life! They are so sensitive to voltage spikes. this is why every single one of them should be connected to a surge and or voltage suppressor. One that warrantys the device. I( would check the AC input circuit first in this case. If you have no solid state and or digital repair experience, Please leave it to the pros as you can cause more problems and cost you alot more in the long run. Good luck to you and please, keep us informed of your progress and or if you had it repaired and what it took.

Cphoto
Thanks Larry!  I"ll let you

Thanks Larry!  I"ll let you know how it goes.  Also, I did some more searching on the site and found that other people had similar problems which turned out to possibly require replacement of fuses.  I had scheduled a repairman to work on the set but wanted to find out more about the problem first.  (to better manage the repair and costs). 

This is a great website for people who like technology but haven't a clue how to fix it. 

I'll keep you posted.  thanks C

Larry Dillon
Well thank you so much bud,

Well thank you so much bud, as we try to keep it as simple as possable IF at all possable.  looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Cphoto
Hello,

Hello,

Well, it took a while but the solution was found.  I replaced the transformer with a TC-1000 from ElectronicPlus (San Rafael CA) and the TV works!!  Luckily I didn't spend the money to have the TV repair people look at the TV first.  So, the trick was finding the right transformer (220 to 110 at correct wattage) from the right place. 

thanks
C

Larry Dillon
Glad to see your problem was

Glad to see your problem was a wattage problem and not a service issue after all.

Silva
If i were you i wouln't ever

If i were you i wouln't ever connect that expensive tv without a good surge protector. 

ninjakaw
I have the same problem with

I have the same problem with my tv but I had mine plugged into a surge protector and a couple weeks ago it would just not turn on. I'm thinking a power supply problem but I don't know. I have no flash of power light when Itry to turn it on. No power at all

if any one can help please do. Thanks.

Not looking for someone to fix just diagnosis so I know what to have done. Thank you

curtlewis2
the parental lock as

the parental lock as been set on my tv . and i dont know the code is there a way to override this
tc-p50x1

Connect With Techlore