TV won't turn off

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
MPerry 21
TV won't turn off

Thanks to Larry Dillon for answering my question about why my TV won't turn off.
I don't know anything about relays, but my son does. He said he would fix it when
he gets back in town.

Mary Ann

Larry Dillon
Mary Ann, Good to here your

Mary Ann, Good to here your son is going to fix the TV for you. Good Luck and Just do us a favor and let us know if you get it going.

MPerry 21
RE: Hitachi TV model #

RE: Hitachi TV model # 50UX22B/23K - won't turn off. 
I've had it since about 1994 or 1995, I think.  Larry Dillon, from techlore, said it was the relay.
My son, who is a mechanical engineer, thought he could probably fix it, so
he traced the wires and they went into a sealed box or something (he can probably explain it better than I can). 
Anyway, since the box was sealed, he didn't want to mess with it.  The picture and sound are great, so he said "why mess with it when everything else is fine?"  I had the TV plugged into a surge protector, along with the DVD player, VCR, Home Theater System and Dish receiver.  (Maybe I've got too many things connected to the TV?!!) Anyway, I plugged the TV cord into a separate surge protector and just use the switch on that to turn TV on & off. 
It is a little inconvenient, but I'd rather do that than call a repairman, since the TV is so old.  
The only problem I have now is when I tried to play a movie on the DVD player for my grandchildren yesterday, I couln't get the sound to come on for that.  I hardly ever use it, so maybe it is just ignorance on my part.  I'll have to get my son to come over again and see what the problem is.
Oh, another thing -  everytime I  turn TV on, the text comes on the screen, even though I don't have the menu set to do that.  I finally figured out that if I just press the menu button on the remote control, then turn it off, the text goes away without me having to do anything else.

ArleneC
Help! My tv doesn't have a

Help! My tv doesn't have a picture but the screen changes color every few seconds, blue, red, yellow, etc. in addition, the only way to turn it off is to unplug it. I have left it off for a day but it didn't 't help. Is there a fix?

Connect With Techlore