PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING FROM MY NIKON...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
sarahstarlight
PROBLEMS DOWNLOADING FROM MY NIKON...

Hi there, can anyone help me ? I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500 which has worked just fine until about a week ago. When I tried to download from the camera using my UBS lead. It just kept turning itself off every time I plugged the lead it. As all the other features were working just fine I assumed it was the lead so I bought a new one. But it's doing the same thing. The user manual is of no use ! Has anyone else had the same problem or could you offer me any advice ? Really grateful for your time, Thanks.

Matt Whitlock
The two questions I instantly

The two questions I instantly think of to help narrow down the problem are:

Have you tried a different USB port?
Have you tried plugging the camera into a different computer entirely?

Those suggestions aside, it's no secret that I firmly believe in external memory card readers for tranferring photos to a PC. They simplify the entire process, and don't require any goofy drivers or difficult to use software: Read this for more about them: http://www.techlore.com/article/10493/

sarahstarlight
Hi Matt,Tried a different

Hi Matt,
Tried a different port but will have a go on a friend's computer to see if that's the problem. If all else fails can you recommend an external memory card reader ? Thanks ever so much for your help and advice. Kind regards, Sarah

Matt Whitlock
If you have a USB inkjet

If you have a USB inkjet photo printer, you may already have a multi-format card reader. Check there first, just so you don't accidentally make a redundant purchase.

If you don't, then there are two kinds of readers you can buy. You can buy a reader that supports one format (your camera uses Compact Flash Type I), or one that supports many. The multi-format readers are a little bit more expensive, but you probably won't have to buy another one if you ever upgrade your camera. They are also handy if you have different digital camera users in the same household. The readers that support one format are usually less expensive, and a tad easier to use since it's obvious how to insert the card.

I've used many different kinds of readers, and have had little trouble with most brands. I have an internal card reader built into my desktop at home, and have a PNY single format reader to keep laptop bag. I've also used SanDisk, Lexar, and Belkin without any problems.

Here's a link to a nice card reader on Amazon.com:

Compact Flash single format reader.

sarahstarlight
Thanks ever so much. I will

Thanks ever so much. I will let you know how I get on ! Kind regards and 'cofion gorau' as we say in Wales, Sarah

Forehead
I have a Coolpix 2500 (and a

I have a Coolpix 2500 (and a 5400).

DO yourself a favor: get a USB 2.0 card reader and forget downloading from the camera. It's just way too slow doing it that way!

Connect With Techlore