My PDA won't stop dialing my ISP

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
vansiclenr
My PDA won't stop dialing my ISP

I bought a Dell Axim X30. It came with ActiveSync, which does a great job updating Outlook on my computer with my handheld or vice versa (or at least did once I fixed the Daylight Savings Time problem...).

BUT, every time I use Microsoft ActiveSync, the PDA dials / tries to dial my ISP (MSN). This is pretty annoying to me and to my co-workers, since the computer shares the line with the fax and I don't even know it's on.

I've tried all the Options and Customize instructions. I downloaded the new version of AccuSync. I installed a newer version of Outlook, since I can't tell whether the PDA or Outlook is telling the computer to dial.

I have seen this problem described for Windows CE, but this was supposed to have been fixed with Windows Mobile 2003, the version on my PDA.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Bob Van Siclen

Ron Repking (not verified)
Here's a wild stab at what

Here's a wild stab at what might be your problem. If your PDA is set up to sync mail with your Outlook mailbox in addition to your calendar and contacts, it might do is try to retrieve new mail when you sync (at least that's what mine did). If it is, and your Outlook uses MSN to get mail, that might be the reason that it is trying to dial out. Look in the settings for ActiveSync and see if mail is checked to by synced. If it is uncheck it and see if that solves your problem.

vansiclenr
I tried that already. The

I tried that already. The "InBox" is not checked in ActiveSync, so I am still trying to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
Outlook is probably set to

Outlook is probably set to automatically dial your ISP whenever an e-mail event is triggered. Set up your dialing properties in IE, which you can specify to not connect automatically. This way, you can trigger when the computer dials and when it doesn't.

Connect With Techlore