Magnavox 51MP392H/17 51" TV has double vision

252 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alex O
I just received one of these

I just received one of these units with the convergence problem. I do see that it is a fairly simple repair, but I have never soldered before. If anyone has any assistance available, please let me know.
Thanks,
Alex
[email protected]

pagliai69
I just did the repair, but, I

I just did the repair, but, I do not have the original remote, I have a universal. How do I get into the setup mode, it just changes channels.
Thanks
Frank
[email protected]

pablo9
tengo una tv hdtv 51 magnavox

tengo una tv hdtv 51 magnavox y el rojo aparece siempre ya le han hecho la convergecia y al parecer se ve bien 2 dias bien y despues vuelve el problema me dijeron que es el liquido ,o congelante que llevan estas entre el lente y los tuvos sera asi ,onde consigo eso gracias

Frankiepaul
Hey everyone, TVrepair.com

Hey everyone, TVrepair.com has all your parts and great advice.... good luck.

KARL G
Maytag said: Good morning

Maytag said: Good morning folks, Big thanks go out to Doin12volt - Got the complete board assembly, took out the screws, and the 17 wiring connections, and did the swap. Powered the TV back up, went into setup and manually did the convergence, and it lined up real nice. The picture is like *brand new* again! CNN with the crawl or the program guide looks excellent, and the HD channels come in great! It's been almost 2 and a half years since the problem happened, and I had forgotten how nice the screen used to look. Guess I can put off that 50" plasma for awhile longer :) For others considering this swap, just don't touch that flyback transformer on the right side. I was able to stay clear of it & I'd recommend others do the same. Thanks again for the help! Maytag

ANY PHOTOS OR PURCHASE LOCATION INFORMATION TO PURCHASE THE BOARD?

Aztec
Many thanks to Larry, Nside,

Many thanks to Larry, Nside, and all the rest. 36 little solder connections and my set's working like new.

DeuceLee
my problem's similar to

my problem's similar to kv1979 now.

i changed out the IC's, changed out resistor's 3149 and 3150 beceause they got the brown marks on the sides, the other resistor's didn't.

Not only did the other resistor's not have the browning on the side, there was two of them that was in a SUPER terrible location and i couldn't desolder them out without taking the whole panel off the plastic backing, which ticked me off, so i said screw it, i'll just remove the two with browning on the sides.

Anyways, i think i did a good job with the IC soldering. I didn't see any signs of bridging.

Now, when i turn the tv on, the lamps will turn on for 5 seconds or so, I get this rainbow of screwy colors on my screen, then the lamp shuts off.

I don't think anything that I did with the convergence IC's or me NOT replacing all the resistor's could have done this, could it?

any ideas? thanks.

Larry Dillon
sure it could!? and it only

sure it could!? and it only taks a tiny bridge or flake of solder across any part of the circuit.
Larry Dillon.

Marky Mark
Thanks for everyones help

Thanks for everyones help with all this useful information, I'm new to TV repair and have this Magnavox unit in question with the convergence problem, looking forward to doing the repairs and was wondering if anyone has an extra remote they are willing to part with? Some people say they don't need it to do the reconfig. and others do? Thanks, Mark

Larry Dillon
go to tv repairkits.com and

go to tv repairkits.com and ask him if he has an original remote he would part with. he has lots of those Magnavox projection tv sets. and a lot more then remotes available. he will have boards, picture tubes screens mirrors, just about anything you would need for a very reasonable price.
Larry Dillon

Zero-G
I'll have to look around I

I'll have to look around I bought a parts TV to fix mine a year back, I got the remote with it it works fine but few of the button have have been chewed by the previous owners rabbit, just the tips they work its just not show room quality.

anyway, if you'd like to make an offer let me know

Snake Eyes
i have just recently replaced

i have just recently replaced my convergence ics in my 51mp392h/17 and after putting the board back in the tv it will only cycle on and off about every 5 seconds i saw in a different thread that using stk392-180s would be better because there the same thing as the 120s but can handle more heat and they will last longer if anyone can help with my problem it would be much appreciated also the tv worked before replacing the ics just with a bowed picture

Larry Dillon
ok so you had bad convergence

ok so you had bad convergence ic's before replacing them. the issue about using different ic numbers is not true. you cannot believe everything you read, I hope
if you use different numbers-of resistors you will also need to replace all the different values of resistors that control that circuit along with the ic's so the bias as well as the feedback works properly using a higher value is better is not true.
Larry Dillon.

Snake Eyes
okay so i need to get the

okay so i need to get the stock 120s and now replace the resistors again?

ic board

the 12 little white fuses at the top are thwy 1w 6.8ohm metal filament resistors ? i think i got a few bad ones but want to be 100percent sure what i need when i order my new 120 ic's

also is there any other parts i might need to get this going i would like to have everything this time

Larry Dillon
THEbest advice I can tell you

THEbest advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK ICÂ’S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made ICÂ’S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon, senior tech/tvrepairkits.com
http://www.fixya.com/support/r3342653-convergence_fix

Snake Eyes
t

t

Larry Dillon said:
THEbest advice I can tell you at this point is to go to tvrepairkits.com and order the complete convergence kit for your model of TV set, no need to search and order multiple parts from different sources and pay multiple shipping fees! The kit comes with original Sanyo STK IC'S , not those cheap aftermarket or china made IC'S full pictorial directions, the thermal paste, resistors, the correct Pico fuses, AND free live on-Line tech assistance in case you run into a problem with the repair. They ship out 2 to 3 day Priority mail, the next day in most cases GOOD LUCK!!!
Larry Dillon, senior tech/tvrepairkits.com
http://www.fixya.com/support/r3342653-convergence_fix

thanks ill do that and let you know how it turns out

TRIMMERBIRD
ORDERED THE REPAIR KIT FROM

ORDERED THE REPAIR KIT FROM TVREPAIRKITS.COM, LABELED ALL THE CONNECTORS, TOOK THE BOARD OUT FROM LEFT HAND SIDE (SOME SCREWS), BOUGHT A DESOLDERING IRON FROM RADIO SHACK AND PUT ALL THE NEW PARTS IN LAST WEEKEND. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP. CHECKED ALL SOLDERING JOINTS WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS ALSO TO BE SAFE. DIDNT RECEIVE ANY PICO FUSES IN THE KIT.

Snake Eyes
TRIMMERBIRD said:

TRIMMERBIRD said:
ORDERED THE REPAIR KIT FROM TVREPAIRKITS.COM, TOOK THE BOARD OUT FROM LEFT HAND SIDE, BOUGHT A DESOLDERING IRON FROM RADIO SHACK AND PUT ALL THE NEW PARTS IN LAST WEEKEND. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP. CHECKED ALL SOLDERING JOINTS WITH A MAGNIYING GLASS ALSO TO BE SAFE

did ur kit come with 120 ic's or 110's im kinda confused it didnt specify on the site what it came with and i need the 120's but i just ordered it anyway i figured they would know lol hopefully i got ur kind of luck on this one

TRIMMERBIRD
Snake Eyes said:

Snake Eyes said:

TRIMMERBIRD said: ORDERED THE REPAIR KIT FROM TVREPAIRKITS.COM, TOOK THE BOARD OUT FROM LEFT HAND SIDE, BOUGHT A DESOLDERING IRON FROM RADIO SHACK AND PUT ALL THE NEW PARTS IN LAST WEEKEND. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP. CHECKED ALL SOLDERING JOINTS WITH A MAGNIYING GLASS ALSO TO BE SAFE

did ur kit come with 120 ic's or 110's im kinda confused it didnt specify on the site what it came with and i need the 120's but i just ordered it anyway i figured they would know lol hopefully i got ur kind of luck on this one

CAME WITH THE SANYO 120'S. NO PICO FUSES IN KIT. DIDNT NEED THEM. REPLACE ALL THE RESISTORS. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE DESOLDERING IRON FROM RADIO SHACK.

Larry Dillon
what was in the set and what

what was in the set and what did they send to you????
Larry Dillon.

TRIMMERBIRD
Larry Dillon said: what was

Larry Dillon said: what was in the set and what did they send to you???? Larry Dillon.

SANYO 120'S IN THE SET. THEY SENT 120'S, 12 RESISTORS, AND THE HEAT SINK PASTE.

Larry Dillon
if you needed anything that

if you needed anything that did not come with the kit,go to tvrepairkits.com/homepage to the contact us button and let them know there please.
Larry Dillon

TRIMMERBIRD
Larry Dillon said: if you

Larry Dillon said: if you needed anything that did not come with the kit,go to tvrepairkits.com/homepage to the contact us button and let them know there please. Larry Dillon

DIDNT NEED ANYTHING ELSE.

Larry Dillon
the shipping dept generally

the shipping dept generally sends the ic's listed in the service manual not some madeup number from some hack who got lucky by using the wrong ic's.
Larry Dillon.

Snake Eyes
well i ordered the kit ill

well i ordered the kit ill let everyone know how it goes when I'm done

TRIMMERBIRD
Snake Eyes said: well i

Snake Eyes said: well i ordered the kit ill let everyone know how it goes when I'm done

get the desoldering iron. works like magic.

Snake Eyes
i have desoldering wick it

i have desoldering wick it seemed to work good the first time around u think the iron would work better? ive never used one before

TRIMMERBIRD
I tried the wick. sucked. The

I tried the wick. sucked. The contacts on the ics are too close together. The desoldering iron cleans the hole out so fast and clean,the ics almost fall out on their own. Its amazing. Need a small soldering iron tip also.

Snake Eyes
cool man thanks did u use the

cool man thanks did u use the cheap desoldering iron from radio shack or a good one?

Larry Dillon
if you get a convergence kit

if you get a convergence kit from tv repairkits.com . you will get all that info for the repair, including the tools needed

Pages

Connect With Techlore