Magnavox 51mp392h - Anode Wire Arching

1 post / 0 new
las_vegas
Magnavox 51mp392h - Anode Wire Arching

I recently repaired the convergence problem on this set through the replacement of the convergence chips and 12 resistors. While watching the TV this morning I made a comment to my wife about how nice the picture was now since I'd also cleaned out a great deal of dust and cleaned the mirror. Minutes later the screen just went blank. The audio still worked fine.

Turning the TV off and back on would produce a loud buzz for a moment, but no picture. I removed the rear panel from the TV, and had my wife turn it on and off while I watched for where a flash was coming from. The anode for the green CRT was wrapped around the yoke (That CRT was replaced under warranty shortly after purchase) and had a very bright arc above the yoke. I carefully, disconnected that anode wire at the flyback, unwrapped it and reinstalled it. Now, I have multiple bright sparks near the green CRT rather than the continuous arc, but the same problem.

Do I need to replace this anode wire, repair it (how?) or replace the entire flyback & wires or am I completely off on my diagnostics?

Thanks in advance.

Connect With Techlore