Zenith System 3 power on channel help

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
theefxman
Zenith System 3 power on channel help

Larry and friends,

I found your help most useful in replacing the convergence chips in a Sony big screen I picked up awhile back, thanks!

I have a older educational grade Zenith System 3 Stereo/Receiver monitor. It came from a local high school and still works great! 

The only problem I have is when I turn the TV on it automatically goes to channel 17. I have tried every one of the menu options to including removing all saved channels except 3. Master reset, and etc. I have tried several of the zenith system 3 service menu now of which work.

And of course the model number label was tore off on the back by the school at some point pressumably. The model number you can read ends in 589W , with like 3 or so numbers missing before that. 

I do have the serial number of the unit though 091-75170510.

Any help you could be would be marevolous, it's a 27" tv, has all kinds of special hookups in the back like "loop to decoder" "variable audio output" and etc. There is also some kind of manufacturing tag on it with the number " NB 205480. The front bezel is black and the body cover on the top and bottom is faux wood.

So again the only problem I am having with this set is the power on default channel is forced to 17 somewhere and I don't know how to change it. Let me know if there is any other descriptions I could give. I can take a picture too if that helps. 

Thanks Larry and Friends!

Larry Dillon
System 3? This is the set

System 3? This is the set that took over one of Zeniths best sets made. The chromacolor. There are no parts available for this set from the manufactirer. This set is over 20 years old. Without a model number, it is impossible to assist you I'm afraid. if you had a model number, you might be able to get a board repaired through PTScorp.com. Good Luck with the set.

theefxman
Ok, thanks anyway, The tv

Ok, thanks anyway, The tv works fine btw, it's just that when you turn it on it defaults to channel 17.

I can't find any menus that help change that, and I've read some information that says it may be a

diode bank that controls the power on channel? Not sure. I might try and crack the case open and see if the model number is inside anywhere. 

theefxman
Here is a picture of the set

Here is a picture of the set in case it looks like something you've seen before.

http://webpages.charter.net/robmocca/zenith_system3.JPG

and

http://webpages.charter.net/robmocca/Better_frontshot.jpg

Thanks! 

Larry Dillon
There may be a model number

There may be a model number or perhaps a chassis number inside. I should have told you that before. I worked on literally thousands of these System 3 sets, but as an authorized repair shop for Zenith, we had to change the bad modules when they went bad. Or let us say we were suppose to.

Larry Dillon
Let me see the fold down

Let me see the fold down front door on this set. Is there a membrane type buttons on the inside of this front door that folds down?

theefxman
Actually unless I'm complete

Actually unless I'm complete nuts, the front doesnt fold down, I was looking for a panel before and couldnt find it, I think its just the menu,channel, volume etc buttons on the front and that's it, but I will check and double check again. Have you seen one of these without a front panel? Like I was saying this came from a school auction so...

I will look inside for the model as well and perhaps the chassis model number.

Thanks!

theefxman
Ya, definetly no flip down

Ya, definetly no flip down panel on front or back or anywhere for that matter. I'll have to pull it down and open her up and see what information I can gleem that way. Thanks for all the tips I'll let you know when I have the internal information.

Thanks! 

MoniqueMai
I have a Zenith System 3

I have a Zenith System 3 Model Number SV2577P manufacture date Dec 1983 that needs a power switch. Do you know where I can find it?
Thanks
Monique
[email protected]

Connect With Techlore