Mini-Disc to PC

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
franklabman
Mini-Disc to PC

Can anyone help a newcomer to the computer age make a connection between a Mini-Disc deck and PC? I have lots of music on mini-discs which I have recorded using my Sony MDS-JE440. I would now like to create computer files of those recordings. It has been suggested to me that the headphone output from the mini-disc player/recorder could be linked to the line-in level input on the PC, but being a complete beginner I do not even know what the line-in level input is or where to find it on my laptop (Compaq C300). Any assistance in non-tech language would be appreciated.

Matt Whitlock
If you're on a notebook it

If you're on a notebook it may be a bit tricky. Not all notebooks have line-level inputs. On occasion, the mic input will double as a line-level input. Unfortunately for you, the C300 is mono or stereo mic only, and I don't think your MD audio out and PC mic jack will play nicely together.

For note, line-level input on a computer is a lot like the red and white plugs on the back of a TV, only in a headphone shaped plug.

Do you have access to a full sized computer? If not, we can find you a USB accessory to help you make this work.

starmystry
This is helpful stuff in

This is helpful stuff in language that even I understand. It would be more convenient for me to use my notebook rather than beg the use of a friend's desktop, so tell me more about a USB accessory that will help. What a great site!

Matt Whitlock
Our pleasure. Don't forget

Our pleasure. Don't forget that anyone can be helpful here at TechLore. So if you see a question that you can answer, dive in and help out. Or, if you just want to chat about gadgets and devices, start or join in a conversation and share your opinion.

On the USB device, something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product...

It's a USB AV encoding device, and comes with everything you need to easily grab audio from your player's headphone output (including the 1/8" to 1/8" male male patch cord). I've never used this particular model, but based on the specs and description it should do fine... especially given the price. I've used several similar products from Pinnacle, and they work pretty well though they're more expensive.

starmystry
I have looked at the KWorld

I have looked at the KWorld USB2800R encoder and the only query I have concerns the connection between it and my amplifier headphone outlet - the latter appears to be 1/4". Could I use an adapter to make the fit ?

Matt Whitlock
franklabman said: I have

franklabman said: I have looked at the KWorld USB2800R encoder and the only query I have concerns the connection between it and my amplifier headphone outlet - the latter appears to be 1/4". Could I use an adapter to make the fit ?

Sure. Radio Shack and other electronics stores sell 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. In fact, I have three in my desk drawer. :-) 

Hugh Brown
  DAK.com has a unit that

DAK.com has a unit that connects to the sound card of your computer. You can hook your minidisc or cassette deck to this and load music that way. You can also connect a turntable to it. I've burned a number of CDs like this. It costs around $70. It also encouraged me to buy a new stylus for my Dual 701 turntable that I've had since the mid 1970's. 

Connect With Techlore