Sony KP-57HW40 Convergence

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
zapdbf
i cannot offer the service

i cannot offer the service manual, and our contract with sony will not allow it. but i hope this will help

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony-TV-has-a-distorted-picture-/

JustAUser
Larry and Dan, I also have a

Larry and Dan, I also have a Sony KP-57HW40 with, from what I have read here, has convergence problems ( the 3 colors are algining). I understand that I  need to change the convergence ICs and perhaps replace a couple of resistors/fuses.

Could you share with me the service manual for this TVs, so that I can attempt to fix the problem.

My email address is [email protected]

Many thanks.

Larry Dillon
First off, read through this

First off, read through this link

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony-TV-has-a-distorted-picture-/

I will send you the manual. Good Luck.

notrealclever
I also have a Sony KP-57HW40.

I also have a Sony KP-57HW40.  I am having the same issue as has been described on this forum.  I've checked out the link given previously and I think I can fix it with a manual.  If you could send one my way I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!

email [email protected]

Larry Dillon
notthatclever, I will send

notthatclever, I will send you that manual ASAP. Good Luck

creeper
Hi, I dont like being a "me

Hi, I dont like being a "me too" poster, but is it possible you could send the Sony KP-57HW40 service manual my way also? layson(REM*OVE)@gmail.com Thanks a million. BTW what a great welth of information you have here, I will be sure to let my friends know about it.

Larry Dillon
Yea sure, why not. I will

Yea sure, why not. I will send it out as soon as possible. Good Luck

gjlaplante
I have the sony kp-57hw40.

I have the sony kp-57hw40. Last month I removed the screen protector after reading how they can actually hinder picture quality. While I had the screen removed I also noticed the lenses had a thick layer of dust on them (my tv is 5 years old). I took a lint free rag and cleaned them thoroughly, put everything back together and WOW! What a difference it made. However, I did an auto convergence after I was done and the crosshair starts out in the center then 2 of the colors start moving toward opposite corners, then the crosshairs go white and convergence ends. I'm not a tech but can usually follow instructions without problems. Did I mess with something I should not have? I checked connections and followed wires to double check myself, everything seems to be intact. I do not see any picture issues, as I said I was stunned at the difference and I try to calibrate the television every 6 months are so with digital video essentials. However, being a video perfectionist I would like for convergence to be alligned. Is this something that can be fixed with the sevice manual(which I do not have by the way, if you could email me one that would be super) and if so instructions on procedure, or have I gone beyond what an average tinker can do?

badtaz25
I am having the same problem

I am having the same problem with the convergence.  I was wondering if I could get a copy of the service manual also.  My email is [email protected].  I've checked around with repair services and it is going to cost well over $500 to get it fixed, so I figure maybe I can fix it myself.  If not, it would be cheaper to buy a new one.  If you can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.  If not, thanks anyways.

Larry Dillon
badtaz25, I have sent you the

badtaz25, I have sent you the service manual. There are a couple of links on doing the convergence repair and the alignment of the convergence I am sending you here. You should read over the articles before doing any repairs to your TV set. Good Luck.

http://www.techlore.com/article/19631/Sony-Convergence-Procedure/

Larry Dillon
badtaz25, are you kidding me

badtaz25, are you kidding me man!? I sent you a service manual for free and now you want me to fill out a permission form to send it to you? I don't think so man. Buy it www.servicemanuals.net

badtaz25
I received a copy of your

I received a copy of your email.  I didn't have your email address so I couldn't enter it into my address book.  Everything goes to spam if it is not in my address book.  You didn't have to be rude!  The permission was just to be added to my address book.  I get so much spam, even from sights that I have never visited that my spam settings are set a little high.  I'm sorry, you found it offensive to have to fill out a request to be added to my address book.  Thanks for the manual. 

WB
Hi all,

Hi all,

On a black screen, my set has horizontal thin red lines across the screen, slightly concave down shaped.  This has been fixed before by messing with the bottom-center trimpot just behind the speaker cover but I would like to learn more how to correct this.  New to  this forum and am very impressed with how helpful all are.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

If possible, I would also like a copy of the service manual for the KP-57HW40... I like to read svc. manuals for stuff I have!  My email is WBmore(at)gmail.com.

Best Regards,

Bill

zapdbf
The thin red lines are called

The thin red lines are called retrace lines, these normally are hidden but all crt type of televisions have this , the beam has to reset to the upper corner of the crt after scanning down the screen,  you are seeing this re-set. normally the tv will cut the beam as low as they can during this process, but if you turn the screen up too high (trim pot you adjusted) it will show. Also on a sony tv if the crt is weak there is an auto adjustment on most sonys that will raise the biasing on the tube to compensate for the lack of emissions. If the tube gets so bad that the retrace lines have to show you need to replace the tube. But this same symptom can also be a bad video driver on the neck module, try switching the red and green neck modules around and see if the retrace lines change from red to blue, if it is blue then it is the ic, otherwise it is the crt.

WB
zapdbf said: The thin red

zapdbf said: The thin red lines are called retrace lines, these normally are hidden but all crt type of televisions have this , the beam has to reset to the upper corner of the crt after scanning down the screen,  you are seeing this re-set. normally the tv will cut the beam as low as they can during this process, but if you turn the screen up too high (trim pot you adjusted) it will show. Also on a sony tv if the crt is weak there is an auto adjustment on most sonys that will raise the biasing on the tube to compensate for the lack of emissions. If the tube gets so bad that the retrace lines have to show you need to replace the tube. But this same symptom can also be a bad video driver on the neck module, try switching the red and green neck modules around and see if the retrace lines change from red to blue, if it is blue then it is the ic, otherwise it is the crt.

Thank you zapdbf for the lightning-fast reply!  So the trimpot I adjusted controls the gain as I understand.  Is the bottom row of 3 trims for the RGB respectively?  I adjusted the middle on on the bottom row since it was the only one that had been changed since factory, as evidenced by offset "whiteout" markings (service tecl came once to adjust for this problem).  I'll see if a service manual surfaces and then try swapping the neck modules as you suggested.  Thanks again for the tip!

Bill

zapdbf
there are 6 of them one for

there are 6 of them one for focus, and one screen for each tube , R,G,B.

Gain is a way of looking at it yes.

dawnmarie
Hi Larry, I do have the same

Hi Larry, I do have the same problem appeared two days ago and trying to figure out what to do. A schematic diagramand manual of 57HW40 is very helpful to me and I appreciate your help. My E Mail address is samarmstrong at gmail dot com. TIA.

dawnmarie
Anyone plz suggest a good

Anyone plz suggest a good store to buy STKs and pico fuses. TIA

Larry Dillon
partstore.com is a good place

partstore.com is a good place to get Sony Parts.

dawnmarie
partstore.com don't have any

partstore.com don't have any pico fuses. could you please email me the service manual/schematics manual of KP-51HW40 so that I can check for exact pico fuse values. samarmstrong at g m a i l d0t  c0m. Thanks.

Larry Dillon
Check mcmelectronics.com and

Check mcmelectronics.com and do a search for pico fuses. There are tons of the type you need.

Maureen
Larry Dillon said: Yea sure,

Larry Dillon said: Yea sure, why not. I will send it out as soon as possible. Good Luck

Larry, 

I have a Sony KP-57HW40.  I was wondering If you could send me a copy of the users manual my copy is missing I would really appreciate it.  Thanks! [email protected]

Kary
Larry,

Larry,

I have exactly the same problem on my 6 yr old Sony 57HW40 as tvtim had back in September.  I am an avionics engineer but my original electronics training was on tvs.  I have read your articles on fixing this problem and doing a convergence adjustment, but would like to have service manual for additional reference if possible.  I promise to promote the Techlore website with my friends and I understand to check the fuses.

Your website is fantastic!

Thanks 

Murphy's laws R US  (emaili: [email protected])

Larry Dillon
Thank you very much, but it

Thank you very much, but it is not my website, as I am a moderator here and the two articles you speak of were written be a very knowledgeable guy named zapdbf. I will share the service manual with you. It will be going out in just a little bit. Good Luck with the repair.

jabella
Larry Dillon said: Thank you

Larry Dillon said: Thank you very much, but it is not my website, as I am a moderator here and the two articles you speak of were written be a very knowledgeable guy named zapdbf. I will share the service manual with you. It will be going out in just a little bit. Good Luck with the repair.

Hi Larry,

Great website you have here.  I have a 7 year old 57HW40 and the convergence problem just happened yesterday.  Could you also send the service manual to my email?  I have read through the links but have not been able to locate the convergence IC's.  I do have experience soldering, but if it looks too tough, i'll just call a repairman.  The service manual would be very helpful though.  Here is my email:  abella2000  @   hotmail  dot com.

Thanks,

Joe

Larry Dillon
Techlore as a new service

Techlore as a new service available to members to download certain popular service manuals. You model happens to be one of them. GO HERE, find your model and download it. Good Luck with the repair. Thanks for the compliment, but this is not my website, I am only a Moderator here and it is a really cool site. Don;t forget to go and explore as there are a ton of articles an blogs on just about any gadget . Good Luck with your repair.

GModz21
Larry,

Larry,

I just got this set from a friend for free. The convergence is not bad at all but i can notice it when i watch ESPN and they have the sports stats on the bottom of the screen. If you could send me the service manual that would be greatly appreciated. I will spread great things of this site as it is the greatest wealth of information that i have seen for these sorts of issues.... Thanks again in advance

E-Mail is....      [email protected]

Larry Dillon
I would more then happy to

I would more then happy to share a copy with you. But it would be a lot easyer for you to simply go HERE and download one for you. Good Luck

rla95
Larry Dillon said: Great

Larry Dillon said: Great guess. Yes my friend the convergence amp IC's seem to be defective. This set is also very common for the feedback resistors as well as the circuit protector fuses go bad in the convergence circuit. If you leave an e-mail address and promise to spread the word of techlore.com, I will send you a copy of the service manual for FREE!

Hey Larry,

I'm getting red line across my set and suspect an overdriven amp or red lamp not adjusted.  Is it possible for you to dsend me the manual for my  Sony KP-57HW40?  I would greatly appreciate it.

I will also pass on techlore to all of my Avionics tech buddies. 

Respectfully,

Rick Garcia

[email protected] 

Larry Dillon
rla95, This manual is

rla95, This manual is available for a free download in the resources section here at techlore.com. Click on the resources tab at the top of the page on the home page, then click on technicians corner. Then click on list of manuals, find, download, and enjoy. Good luck

Pages

Connect With Techlore