Questioning the iPhone: Is the iPhone really worth two grand for the first two years?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Questioning the iPhone: Is the iPhone really worth two grand for the first two years?

What question?  What are you talking about?

The Apple iPhone was released on June 29th, amid a flurry of press coverage, hype, and strong opinions.  Long time TechLore member and super gadget geek Steven Jones frothed at the mouth, and published a three-part Ode to the iPhone in the process.  Read his rants at:

Eric Brandt, a newer member, harshly countered Steven's iPhone fervor with a list of questions, which I've broken out into the forums.  This is question #10.  I wanna hear what you think.

Eric's Question

Is the iPhone really worth two grand for the first two years?

He writes... 

First look at this equation: $500 or $600 + ($60/month) x 24 months + taxes = $2200.

Then tell me this: Is the iPhone really worth two grand for two years?!

What's your answer? 

Okay, Techlore people...  I want to know what you think!  What's your answer?

Leon Chism
First off, if you are already

First off, if you are already an AT&T customer (I was), all you have to do is pay another $20/month for an unlimited data plan. Or if you already have a data plan with AT&T and a recent SIM card, you can buy the phone, use the "DVD Jon" activation hack, and not pay another dime _and_ not committ to another two years with AT&T. That's cheap. Secondly, if you look at the comparison with moving to a smartphone (depending $50 to $400) and the data plans you have to get for it, its not _that_ different. On the subject of "as good", you are way off the mark. This isn't a phone with some crappy Symbian or Motorolla interface. It isn't even a Q with a crappy implementation of a sub-optimal OS slapped on it. This is a real computer, with a real OS on it. You can't really know what a pleasant experience it is to have that in a form factor that is always with you. You have to try it, and "move in" to the phone so to speak, but once you get used to it you won't go back. Promise.

Michael Czyz
take a look at these

take a look at these calculations: http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/2007/07/which-is-more-e.html#entry-36179098

short summary - at&t's iphone rates are really pretty damn good.  i pay more for just evdo from verizon..  the phone is always the rounding error in the equation when it comes to mobile service.  even for a $600 phone.

Jeff Block
Now that the iPhone's gotten

Now that the iPhone's gotten cheaper, this seems like less of a hit.  And kudos to Apple for listening to the people!  Steven Jones, one of our cohorts at Capable, was interviewed about the whole thing by the Trib recently.  Thought I'd share.

Connect With Techlore