home audio

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dieter
home audio

here's what i have :

a 3 year old computer that's working fine.

here's what i want :

2 speakers (besides the 2 i have in front of the comp)

30 feet away on my porch.

here's what i need :

know how to buy and install the right stuff so i can listen to my CD's
form my computer on the porch.

please advise and please no "guru talk" i'm a retired mech. engineer,
net an electronic.

Matt Whitlock
Well, the simplest option

Well, the simplest option would be to purchase a set of wireless speakers. They require no wire runs, are battery powered (some models), and could be set up in minutes.

If you want a more permanent solution, you'll need a set of indoor/outdoor speakers, a stereo amplifier, and some hookup cables (you may also want to consider an outdoor volume control as well, but that's for later if you decide to go this route). You'll need the ability to run speaker wires from your PC location to the porch, and the ability to properly mount the new outdoor speakers.  

Which way do you want to go?

Dieter
Matt Whitlock said: Well, the

Matt Whitlock said: Well, the simplest option would be to purchase a set of wireless speakers. They require no wire runs, are battery powered (some models), and could be set up in minutes. If you want a more permanent solution, you'll need a set of indoor/outdoor speakers, a stereo amplifier, and some hookup cables (you may also want to consider an outdoor volume control as well, but that's for later if you decide to go this route). You'll need the ability to run speaker wires from your PC location to the porch, and the ability to properly mount the new outdoor speakers.   Which way do you want to go?

Hi Matt,

thanks for responding.
If i go wireless, what else do i need?

I'd prefer permanent, i know how to run wires and mount speakers.What brand and size do you recomend? What about the stereo amplifier:where will that be installed?And the volume control?
Don't speakers come with a volume control?

Thanks again.I sincerely appreciate your help.

Dieter

Matt Whitlock
Dieter said: i Matt, thanks

Dieter said: i Matt, thanks for responding.
If i go wireless, what else do i need?

I'd prefer permanent, i know how to run wires and mount speakers.What brand and size do you recomend? What about the stereo amplifier:where will that be installed?And the volume control?
Don't speakers come with a volume control? Thanks again.I sincerely appreciate your help. Dieter

If you go wireless for speakers, all you'll need is the wireless speakers and a 1/8" to RCA stereo adapter cable to plug the speakers into your sound card. If your computer only has one audio output that will also be shared with PC speakers, then you'll also need a 1/8" male to 2 1/8" female Y cable, which will allow you to blog both things into the sound card on your PC.

The nice part about wireless speakers is that they're self amplified, and will have the volume control built in. Once you hook the transmitter up to the PC and apply power to the speakers, you're pretty much good to go. Of course, these won't be weatherproof, so you'll need to keep them out of direct rainfall and inside during cold seasons.

The permanent route is much more complicated, since it requires more equipment and labor.

Indoor/outdoor speakers don't have integrated volume controls. The volume control is located at the receiver, or you can mount an "in-wall" or external volume control between an amplifier and the speakers.

In the permanent case, you'd attach the receiver to the PC using the same cables as mentioned above for the wireless speakers. If you're fine with having to go inside to adjust the volume, then you can wire the speakers directly to the receiver using standard speaker wire.

So, in this case: PC --> Receiver (volume control here) --> Speakers

If you'd prefer to have volume adjustment closer to the speakers, you can get an outdoor volume control to wire between the amplifier and the speakers. If your receiver/amp also has a volume control, you'll turn it up high, then attenuate using the external volume control. Since both channels go to the volume control in this case, you only need one 16/4 wire run to the control from the amp, then 2 16/2 runs from the volume control to the speakers. Not sure how easy that will be to retrofit on a pre-existing home, but it can probably be done depending on where you want to mount the speakers.

So, in this case: PC --> Amplifier --> Volume Control --> Speakers

Just to help those who may not be in the know, the terms amplifier and receiver are not really interchangeable. An amplifier only amplifies sound, and does not typically contain a volume control or anything else. A receiver typically contains an amplifier, volume control, radio tuner, processors, etc in one chassis. A receiver is required if you don't use an external volume control (unless you're okay controlling the volume at the PC), but you could use either with an external volume control. The benefit to the receiver is you can hook up multiple sources and switch between them, plus tune radio stations as well.

Phew! That's a lot to cover. When you really nail down which way you want to go, I can give you some brand and equipment recommendations.

Dieter
Thank you Matt,

Thank you Matt,

OK lets go with the wireless, they will be out of the rain and when it gets cold, i won't be on the porch.
My computer has only 1 audio out.
If you recommend what brand and size speakers  to buy,and where to buy,
( i live in Bellingham WA 98226) i think i can handle the job, thanks to your guidance.
 I try to avoid  cicuit city because of theyr criminal lay offs.

Thanks again Matt. I'll be remembering you every time i listen to Beethoven.

Dieter

Connect With Techlore