Sony CD recorder to cassette deck help

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
litfield
Sony CD recorder to cassette deck help

My brother bought a Sony cd recorder which he was told it could be used with his cassette deck to transfer his cass. to Cd's. We hooked up his deck to the recorder with the in and out cables provided. Two came with it and put in a blank cd and a cassette in his Kenwood unit and push record but nothing happens.

Tech support at Sony was no good and say this can't even be done. Called the store and they say it can and were too busy to walk us through it all. Wondering what we are doing wrong.

Using CD-R by the way.

We were told by the store we don't have to have the amplifier hooked up but would like to be able to hear what is being recorded.

Larry Dillon
What you need to do is hook

What you need to do is hook up the cassette deck output up to your receiver into your tape monitor input and the CD recorder input to the tape monitor output on the receiver. This way when you play a tape through the receiver with the tape monitor on, the tape output will go through to the CD recorder, Hope this helps and Good Luck, let us know how you made out with this.

litfield
Ok, am getting farther on

Ok, am getting farther on this but still no go. I hooked the three machines up as you said. I can now hear the tape playing and the recorder says it is recording and then I stop it and finalize. Take it to my CD player and nothing but a click sound on the disk.

I can see it wrote to the disk and the recorder says it did.

Here is my layout on the machines. the recorder is Sony new and has the 4 holes with in and out only.

THe Amp is Kenwood with Tape box and under those 4 holes says Rec and Play.

Then on the cassette deck there is a Rec with an IN under the two holes there and next to it under the same heading Tape are two more holes with play under them.   Both the amp and cass are older models. Lost the books on them.

How should I hook up the lines?

litfield
Am still needing help. See

Am still needing help. See message from yesterday.

Larry Dillon
Sorry i missed the replay. 

Sorry i missed the replay.  Rec is the output to the inputs of the units  Play is the input to the output of the units.You always take the output/play of a device that you want to hear, and run the cable's other end to the receivers Rec/input jacks. you do plug one end of a RCA cable into the recording device the Input or REC on a unit you want to record on, take the other end and plug it into The play or output jack on the receiver

litfield
Ok, have hooked it up and see

Ok, have hooked it up and see it is writing to the disk but when I try to play it there is still nothing. I DO finalize the disk as it says to in the book but then there is a error "TOC not found" .

I guess I am just not smart enough to figure this one out and don't know what else to do. The store won't take it back and my brother will be out the $300 he paid for it. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help so far.

Roberta

Larry Dillon
If it is new make them

If it is new make them exchange it.  If it is only a month or so old find out who does the warranty work on these units in your area, as if you hooked everything up like I described, it should be fine. 

Connect With Techlore