When Did You Take the DVD Plunge?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt Whitlock
When Did You Take the DVD Plunge?

To think that there was a time when movies didn't come on disc... strange. DVD has been the mainstay of movies for the better part of a decade. However, there was a time when VHS ruled as the movie format of choice for a long, long time. Many of you still have that VCR hooked up, but I doubt it gets as much play time as it used to.

DVD has been around since 1997, but only the early adopters picked up DVD players back then. When did you take the DVD plunge?

Ron Repking (not verified)
I don't think I can remember

I don't think I can remember back that far!  I do remember holding off when DVD players were first released.  A friend I worked with bought one for about $1,000. I thought that was a little pricey and waited about a year before getting one for a more reasonable $500 or so.

Larry Dillon
I started to repair them when

I started to repair them when they first came out and they where just like the old style Beta and VHS machines, pricey and unreliable. I did not get one untill the year of 2003. Thats when you could get one for about 100 bucks or less. I still have working beta and VHS machines as well as the Pioneer Laser Disc, the Early 12" DVDs

dans_repair_service
Well, I might as well jump in

Well, I might as well jump in too...  I picked up my first DVD in 2000.  Its still going strong.  By the way.  I just sold yet another Beta machine last month.  I still get calls for them!

Dan

Connect With Techlore