Sony KDP-57WS655 AX-1X - will not turn on blinking nine times

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
NateMan
Sony KDP-57WS655 AX-1X - will not turn on blinking nine times

I had been gleaning the tech forums concerning my particular HD TV and found very little. I take that as a good thing. I wanted to become a member of this forum and post my problem and what I find to be the solution to help others out there that may run into the same issue.

My sets problem: For a couple of months now when turning on the set it would be fickle sometimes and shut back down. Normally the standby light will flash slowly a few times and then the set will come up with raster or a picture if you have a signal feed. My set began to give me the slow blinking lights as normal but then decide to shut itself down and I would have to try the power on button again one more time and it would be good with that. Sometimes a couple of tries where necessary.

Just this week it finally happened..... It would not come up at all and instead it will give me a faster blinking light. I noticed a pattern, nine fast flashes and then a pause and nine again and it kept repeating. Not familiar with Sony I guessed this to be a self diagnostic error code and I was right. After calling Sony support and a couple of service centers, as well I downloaded the service manual from the web, I found that it refers to a problem in the "zero crossing detector" circuit on the "G" board. I resourced the part from an electronics warehouse and found out that the "G" board has a known weakness and high failure rate and is out of stock in most suppliers but I found one who had eight in stock if that don't tell you something.

I ordered one up and should have it today to install it and give it a whirl. The "G" board is the initial power supply board that feeds the "Vcc" to the main power supply "D" board. When you hit the power button it invokes a power relay "Ry6000" that then initiates the feed to the "D" board. You can hear that relay kick in and I do not hear it doing so on my set.

By the way. I can keep trying the power button on mine several times right now and eventually the standby light will begin a slow blink and then most of the time when I get that, I hear the relay and it decides to give me a picture which looks good when it does come up.

Hope that helps someone out there. I will post again once I have prayfully completed the repair. Wish me luck.

Larry Dillon
Good luck and God Bless. 

Good luck and God Bless.  Please let us know how this turns out for you my friend.

NateMan
Well guys and gals and those

Well guys and gals and those who care. I just received my part FedEx and carefully installed the "G" board into the back of my HDTV. It's been a long time since I have been in the back of a projection TV. It's suprising how few componets are inside one of these newer sets.

The G board was right there and very accessible. I thought I was going to have to pull the bottom tray out but not so. It took me just an hour to make the switch and that was because I wanted to take my time and take care of what I was doing. After getting her mounted and all plugs plugged in and then double checking my work I plugged her into the wall and walla! She worked like a charm. I tried to make her fail by doing several tries at turning her off and back on and she is holding steady.

Well I saved about 300 bucks or better doing this myself not to mention the aggrevation of hauling the monster down to the service center half and hour away. The part cost me $73+$47 fedex shipping vs $250 and the there is the labor charge of maybe an hour or two. What a great feeling though I know I may have won the first battle I may not be so lucky the next time.

The "G" board may be the only "plug n' play" board in the whole set. I was afraid I was going to maybe have to replace the main power board called the "D" board and that looks like it would require some fine tweeking in getting the supplies just right as it supplies the rest of the set with all other voltage feeds. Any feed out of tolerance the slightest and I may have had audio or video not just the way it was and would have required some calibrations.

Anywho... I hope this helps someone and spares them the trouble that I could have went through.

Thanks Larry for the encouragement. I may start another thread asking some questions concerning preventive maintenance on my wonderful 57" Sony HDTV.

Blessings all!

-Nathan

golfalot
NateMan, I have the same

NateMan, I have the same model and the same problem.  How did you determine it was the G board?  I think I need to get my hands on the service manual, where on the WEB did you download from?  My set use to come on by flipping the power on and off real fast.  That worked for a while then I went to unpluging the set while blinking.  The next day I would plug it back in and it would come on, I too would hear the relay click or not.  Now nothing is working it just won't come on anymore.

Hope the G board is my problem.  Thank You for your update.

Marv 

Larry Dillon
golfalot, If you leave an e

golfalot, If you leave an e-mail address, I will share with you a copy of this service manual. You should however have a multimeter and know how to measure DC voltages and read a schematic diagram as the manual will not tell you what board to change. Now in NateMans case, he took a very educated guess on the problem as he had no relay click when his power switch was pushed. So if you have no click when you press the power switch, it most likely would be the G booard as that board is the stanby power supply board. If you do hear a click and your set is still dead,you most likely have a bad D board but thats not always the case. This manual is pretty good at pointing out where the differant boards are. Good Luck and let us know what you find.

PS  This Manual is a big file and I can not send this trough Yahoo mail, so I use whats called pando to send larger files.  You can simply go to pando.com and download a free copy of the software you will need to unpack this file.

golfalot
Larry,  Thank You for your

Larry,  Thank You for your help.  Many times when I would plug in the TV I would hear the the relay click, then I knew it would be okay for that time.  It did not click every time then nothing.  Lately no click.

I have a multimeter meter,  had much experience when in the Air Force reading and trouble shooting from a schematic but its been a while.

E-Mail =  [email protected]

Thank You again.

Marv

golfalot
Larry,  I don't know if there

Larry,  I don't know if there is any difference but my model does not have a AX-1X on the end of the model #.  I also pulled off the back of the set and I saw an A board but could not locate a G board.

I also have Pando loaded.  Hopefully the service manual will clear that up.

Marv

Larry Dillon
The manual is on its way. 

The manual is on its way.  The letters at the end should not be a problem.  Let us know how you make out with this repair.

golfalot
Larry,  I want to thank you

Larry,  I want to thank you for your help.  Based on your information and information I read in the Service Manual I pulled the G board.  The Service Manual suggested that Diode 6116 or 6301 would be a good place to check for an open or short.  I checked and they were both good.  I checked around somemore but did not feel like I found anything conclusive enough to start to order parts, so I ordered the complete G board from Sears for about $75. plus shipping.  It arrived yesterday and I installed it last night.  It fixed my problem.  Thank You again and this web site for all the information, I know it saved me many bucks.  All my friends will know about this web-site.  Now I would like to fix my old board any suggestions?

Thank You

Marv

lemonypanda
Hello! I too have a KDP

Hello! I too have a KDP-57WS655 that is doing the 9 blinks thing and refusing to turn on. I tried resoldering the two diodes 6116 and 6301; the TV came on once, but not after that. So I ordered a G board off of Nexttronics - $51.54 + $6.95 shipping. Now, here is where the trouble starts. The last time I did anything electrical was shop class in middle school. Just using that soldering iron on the diodes was a feat for me. So I would like some step by step, very layman's terms advice on how to install this G board when it comes in. Please help!

Larry Dillon
It is a simple plug and play

It is a simple plug and play board my friend.  You had the board out already in your hand.  You should be able to simply swap it out, as board replacement on this level will be easy for you.  Good Luck and let us know how you make out with this repair.

EricPell
NateMan, is there any way I

NateMan, is there any way I could get a copy of that service manual?  A friend of mine is going to give me his dead 57ws655 and I'm sure that would be a huge help at dignosing this TV.

Thanks!

ericpell (at) gmail dot com 

dchen
lemonypanda said: Hello! I

lemonypanda said: Hello! I too have a KDP-57WS655 that is doing the 9 blinks thing and refusing to turn on. I tried resoldering the two diodes 6116 and 6301; the TV came on once, but not after that. So I ordered a G board off of Nexttronics - $51.54 + $6.95 shipping. Now, here is where the trouble starts. The last time I did anything electrical was shop class in middle school. Just using that soldering iron on the diodes was a feat for me. So I would like some step by step, very layman's terms advice on how to install this G board when it comes in. Please help!

Hi, Can you please tell me where you purchased the G Board.  I couldn't find the right Nexttonics.  Also, can you please provide me the part number.  Thanks.

Larry Dillon
Hey man, how many time have I

Hey man, how many time have I posted DO NOT RESOLDER those diodes? Are you thick in the head or what? Replace them MAN! Now you order the wrong board and wonder why it does not work. I give EXACT directions on how to fix it man!! Send the board back, follow my directions to the letter and your TV will be repaired. If you cannot follow this, play it safe and call an authorized Sony repair service depot, I am sure they will be glad to take your $400.00 buck from you.

dchen
Where can I purchaser the

Where can I purchaser the Board and what is the exact part number?

Larry Dillon
dchen, what's the model

dchen, what's the model number of your set man.

dchen
Larry Dillon said: dchen,

Larry Dillon said: dchen, what's the model number of your set man.

I have a Sony KDP-51WS655 TV.  I called Sony today and they gave me the G Board part number  (A1065549A), but claimed that they no longer supply the part and I have to pull out the board from my TV to send to them to "reimage".

Larry Dillon
Better yet, go to ptscorp.com

Better yet, go to ptscorp.com, get their phone number, call them and ask them how much they will charge to rebuild the G board. If you can find someone who can solder, you can replace the two diodes if your set is blinking 9 times for a lot less cash.

Chadd25
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,

Same problem here. I am not comfortable soldering so I am just going to replce the G board. Any chance you could send me the manual? Thanks for the great info!!!

Donnydew
Ok here is the problem 6

Ok here is the problem 6 months ago I had the hv transformer and regulator replaced because of ten blinking lights. Now I'm back to screen going blank sound continues for a few seconds than set turns off and ten blinking lights agian. Can anyone help me?

Larry Dillon
yes sounds like the common

yes sounds like the common zero cross-over problem in the power supply, there are two diodes, D6301 & D6109 that need to be replaced on the G board. Good luck!!!!

Rogerfd
Larry I also have the same

Larry I also have the same problem, where can i get the service manual for the kdp-57ws655. I opened my tv i see the parts you are talking about. Where can i get the replacemnet parts or a new g board? Thanks, Roger

mike m
larry my kdp57ws655 has same

larry my kdp57ws655 has same problem,but befor i oder the g board heres what it does when i turn it on it blinks 10 times once then it keeps blinking 9 times do you think its the same problem thanks

mike m
thanks larry i will try the g

thanks larry i will try the g board and let you know wish me luck

mike m
one more thing,how can get

one more thing,how can get all the dust from inside the back of the tv out ?

Larry Dillon
use a brush and a vacuum and

use a brush and a vacuum and gently brush it out while using the vacuum behind the brush.

brown2380
look i have the same sony

look i have the same sony rear projection tv m#kdp57ws655 man oct 2004 i have read a few forums on this tv and i ordered diode 6301 but i can not find it on the board or 6116 can anybody help

thanx brown2380

red51
I have the same problem wth

I have the same problem wth my Sony kdp-51ws655, how do i know what the g board is? I don't have a service manual. Please Help

red51
I need help with my sony kdp

I need help with my sony kdp-51ws655 , blinking 9 times . i can reset the tv and it still comes on . how can i get a service manual and where is the phycial g board at? thanks

PAUL C
Having problem as described

Having problem as described above. Can't find a G board. Can anyone HELP?

Larry Dillon
look all along the edge of

look all along the edge of the board for a G in white lettering, maybe on one of the corners
Larry D.

Pages

Connect With Techlore