RCA HD50LPW62 Buzing

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
canon.10
RCA HD50LPW62 Buzing

I have a 50 inch RCA that is just out of warranty and has developed a loud buzing noise that is getting progresivly worse since December.

Any one know where I can get a service manual for this. RCA is little or no help, they suggested a local shop that wants $240 for a service call.

Cliff

Larry Dillon
Your problem could be a

Your problem could be a common one for these sets.  I have seen the cooling fan cause this buzzing noise.  I have also had to replace a noisy color wheel that was making excess noise.  Lets hope the light engine is not makeing any noise, as this part is about $1500.00 bucks!  A service manual on this set can most likely be aquired at http://www.partstore.com, or you may have to call them and order one.  Their telephone number is 1-866-925 PART (7278) Also if you find an authorized RCA partys depot, they can order one for you.  Good Luck, and please keep us informed of the progress of this repair.

MOtvGuy
More than likely a bad color

More than likely a bad color wheel.

canon.10
OK thanks for the hints. On

OK thanks for the hints. On further inspection the cooling fan seems to be OK so I guess it's the color wheel. I owned my own TV service business up to 91 and am sure I am capable of replacing this, the question is where can I buy this part (color Wheel).

Thanks for all your help

Larry Dillon
At the abouve link I left for

At the abouve link I left for you before.  Remeber though to put in the complete model number as the number you legt was missing some letters.  Just go to the site, type in the complete model number and you will see the color wheel listed, or any authorized RCA parts distributor will be able to get one for you. Let us know how this turns out for you.

MOtvGuy
Those color wheels run

Those color wheels run anywhere from $125-150.

cascade1
what did you finally do to

what did you finally do to fix the buzzing? My set is buzzing also but I believe it is a fan because it continues for a while after the set is off. A dealer told me parts are hard to get. Were you able to get parts?

MOtvGuy
Those color wheels are

Those color wheels are notorious for the bearings going bad in the RCA DLP's.  They also continue to run after the set has been shut off.

The color wheel is avaliable for most of the RCA's except for a couple models.  And no, there is no disassembly manual or diagram avaliable.  The front screen has to come off to access the top of the engine where the color wheel is located. 

cascade1
Thanks for pin pointing the

Thanks for pin pointing the problem. How involved is it to remove the screen? A local repair shop quote 500-800 dollars to replace the color wheel. The tv is selling at Walmart for 900, so i don't want to pay that much for a repair. I would like to try it myself and take a chance on screwing it up. Is it any worse than disassembling a laptop? Thanks 

MOtvGuy
On most models the back has

On most models the back has to come off in order to access the screws to drop the lower front cabinet assembly. Then you remove all the screws on the back side of the screen assembly and lift it off.  There's a metal crossbar across the front that provides support for the front of the unit. That has to come off so you can slide the shroud off the engine in order to get to the color wheel mounted on top of the engine.

$500-800 dollars?  Good grief.  My shop would charge the major labor rate of $185 + the cost of the CW + tax.  A long way from $500 - 800.  

Larry Dillon
WOW, that does sound like

WOW, that does sound like double the repair rate, if not more!  If these peeps are factory authorized, you should start a writting campaign!

MOtvGuy
One more thing, if you decide

One more thing, if you decide to do this yourself make sure the unit is on the floor. Once you tear the thing down to level you have to to get to the CW, the entire cabinet, what's left of it, becomes pretty unstable. You don't want to do this on a stand.

I forgot one more thing. All the screws are power head type.  IIRC they're the T15 or T20 size except for the screws holding the CW assembly, those are the smaller T10's.  There's a rubber gasket that comes with the new CW.  When you install the new assy, you have to flip the assembly over which naturally makes the gasket want to fall right off.  I'd suggest applying a very thin film of petroleum jelly in a couple spots along the CW metal braket to help hold the gasket in place when you flip it over.  It's critical that gasket is put in as it provides an airtight seal.  

ETC RET
I have a question about a bad

I have a question about a bad color wheel.  If the color wheel is in such a condition that it can not get to operating speed, will this prevent the TV from coming on?  I have one that starts to come up but the color wheel starts squeeling (like a bad bearing) and TV ON-light starts flashing and the process is repeated.

keithdan1
If the color wheel is

If the color wheel is squealing, the tv will try to come on and fail. I just replaced a bad color wheel in my tv. fixed the problem. 150.00 from Partstore.com

keithdan1
my color wheel started

my color wheel started squealing and the tv did the same thing that you are describing. ordered new color wheel from Partstore.com for 150.00. replaced old one and tv works perfectly.

randyst
I just replaced the color

I just replaced the color wheel on my RCA HD50LPW175 50

randyst
I just replaced the color

I just replaced the color wheel on my RCA HD50LPW175 50

AggieJohn
Do you really have to take

Do you really have to take the back and the screen off to get to the color wheel? I have a hd50lpw62a. Do instructions come when you buy from partsore.com? Thanks!

John

AggieJohn
Do you really have to take

Do you really have to take the back and the screen off to get to the color wheel? I have a hd50lpw62a. Do instructions come when you buy from partsore.com? Thanks!

John

Beernight
Hi there,

Hi there,
I just replaced the color wheel on my 61 rca dlp tv, and put in a new lamp. Now when I turn on the tv it only runs for about a minute then shuts off and tries unsuccessfully to restart. When it tries to restart you can hear the wheel spin but it sounds like it does not get up to speed or something....any ideas?

cascade1
Yes you do. You can't get at

Yes you do. You can't get at one of the screws unless the screen is off. Actually it's no big deal. Couple more scres to take out, screen itself is light.

Aaron stanley
I have a RCA 62 inch TV. Some

I have a RCA 62 inch TV. Some times it will not power on. Many times when it does turn on it shuts down. Some times it takes 1-2 days to get the TV to turn back on. When turning it on, the power light comes on and sound comes out very faintly and shuts down. When it does work, it works beautiful. Could it be possably the cooling fan? Where is the cooling fan located at?

MY TV HD50LPW62 COME ON BLANK

MY TV HD50LPW62 COME ON BLANK 5 TIMES AND GO OF AND COME ON AGAIN, SOME TIME ITG STAY ON ALL DAY COULD IT BE THE TV LAMP BLLAST.

Connect With Techlore