Crossover Question

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dawgman322
Crossover Question

I have the crossover on my sub set to 120 and the crossover in my receiver set at 80. My main speakers have a response of 120-23,000. My question is - if the sub will not reproduce anything above 80 and my main speakers will not reproduce anything below 120 - where does the freq between 80 and 120 go? Any help to this would be appreciated.

slpbird
WHAT SUB ARE YOU USING AND

WHAT SUB ARE YOU USING AND ARE YOU USING LFE INPUT ON YOUR SUB?

Dawgman322
It's a Klipsch Sub-12 with a

It's a Klipsch Sub-12 with a splitter to use both LFE and Line In

slpbird
IF YOU ARE USING THE LFE

IF YOU ARE USING THE LFE INPUT TURN THE CROSSOVER ON THE SUB ALL THE WAY UP AND CONTROL THE CROSSOVER ON THE RECIEVER AND SET IT TO MATCH YOUR SPEAKERS. WHEN YOU USE THE CROSSOVER ON THE SUB WITH THE LFE INPUT IT THROWS EVERYTHING OFF

Dawgman322
That is what I thought I

That is what I thought I should do also. The receiver's specs said the default crossover was 80 so I left it there. I was just curious where the in-between freq went if the sub or the main speakers were not reproducing it. Thanks for your help.

dans_repair_service
First of all a crossover

First of all a crossover frequency value is not a complete cutoff. That is the roll-off point. The typical description for the sub would be a low-pass filter. This means that frequencies lower than the point stated are passed through. The others are essentially shorted toground. These passpoints are not switches though and some over or under that frequency will be passed as well. These are usually very small though and not specifically heard. If you have the units set as origianlly posted, then you will have a hole in the overall system response roughly between 80Hz and 100Hz. To get an idea of what is in this range... Have you been to an in a school where there is some dancing or stomping on a stage. If there are mics involved, you probably hear rather loud booms. These are in that range.

Subs will usually start around 120Hz without any problems. Set the sub to take a bit higher frequency and that should get you better sound.

Connect With Techlore