THX Optimizer????

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
shortstack
THX Optimizer????

I "calibrated" my tv with this, and it looks great. I was reading somewhere that it will only do it for that movie?? Is their really that big of a diference between this and like DVE or the AVIA?

thanks in advacned 

Larry Dillon
 I borrowed this article from

I borrowed this article from http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/optimode/page4.html  To answer your question, Us e the DVE or AVIA, read the conclusion. Hope this helps.

Please note that the following article applies to THX Optimode only, it is not to be confused with LucasFilm's updated and corrected system calibration material, now re-badged as THX Optimizer.

Introduction

THX Optimode, developed by the THX Digital Mastering Program (the same folk who are responsible for THX software) was introduced on June 6th 2000 with the region 1 DVD release 'Fight Club'. The DVDs pictured along the right-hand side of this article all contain THX Optimode signals (click upon one to learn more), and you can view a complete list on the final page. While the Optimode video test material provides a valid method of evaluating your display device, the audio calibration signals have been a source of much confusion. To be fair to THX, they have recently stated that the Optimode calibration noise should not be used to assess the output levels of a system, although this advice does contradict the original Optimode press release which reads: “THX Optimode provides tests for speaker level, speaker phase and Low Frequency Effects (LFE) channel crossover.” The reason for THX's change of heart is clear from the results of my own investigations. The THX Optimode calibration noise is inaccurate, in some cases by as much as 10dB.To understand why, we must concentrate on the volume levels at which calibration material is produced, an area of decoder/receiver operation and instructions passed to decoding hardware by the Dolby Digital bitstream itself.

The THX Optimode on-screen instructions state that the output levels achieved in a correctly calibrated system when using Optimode should be 75dB SPL. This is the same volume achieved when calibrating using the internal test noise of a THX receiver/processor or any Dolby Digital hardware whose volume control operates in relation to 'reference' level. For test noise to produce 75dB SPL, it must be recorded at -30dBFS (that's thirty decibels below full-scale, the maximum output of a digital system). As Dolby Digital's maximum output is 105dB for all five main channels, -30dBFS equates to 75dB SPL. Unfortunately, with 'Fight Club' being the only exception, the THX Optimode calibration noise has been recorded at -20dBFS (twenty decibels below full-scale) which results in an SPL output of 85dB, 10dB above what the on-screen graphics state should be the case. THX assure me that they will correct the amplitude of all future THX Optimode signals to bring them into line with the 'standardised' calibration output level of 75dB SPL. The users of some processors/receivers have not been reporting 10dB discrepancies however, 6dB is often the figure quoted. This can be explained by examining how their decoders may be reacting to the Dolby Digital bitstream used to convey the Optimode calibration signals.

Within all Dolby Digital bitstreams (carried by the SI header of each frame) is a data instruction called 'dialog normalization' — sometimes known as the 'reference offset' value. As the consumer version of Dolby Digital was originally designed for HDTV applications, the dialog normalization function was included so that broadcasters could control the relative volume level of programme material, especially when different material was shown back-to-back. Don't let the name fool you, the entire soundtrack is affected, not just dialog. Dialog normalization instructs the Dolby Digital decoder to reduce the level of its outputs by the amount specified within the bitstream. The typical amount of attenuation applied is 4dB, the 'standard' for Dolby Digital motion picture material. This figure can vary however, for added headroom 'Air Force One' (an isolated example) has a -0dB dialog normalization value while mono material, such as the re-releases of old James Bond movies can have up to -9dB dialog normalization. As mentioned earlier, the maximum output from the five main channels of a Dolby Digital bitstream (in a calibrated system) is 105dB SLP, but if that bitstream contains a -4dB dialog normalization value, the outputs will be attenuated by the decoder resulting in a maximum output of 101dB SPL. When producing calibration software, it is therefore vital that the volume level of the calibration noise and the bitstream dialog normalization value are considered as a whole. If calibration noise is recorded at -30dBFS, for it to produce 75dB SPL from a standard Dolby Digital decoder the dialog normalization must be -0dB so that the outputs of the decoder are not attenuated. All of Dolby's own calibration material has a -0dB dialog normalization value. The THX Optimode calibration signals have a dialog normalization value of -4dB and as is clear, this reduces the output of the decoder and leads to the 6dB discrepancy. This is because we begin with a signal that is 10dB too loud (85dB SPL instead of 75dB) and there is 4dB of decoder attenuation. +10dB + -4dB = 6dB. Therefore, Dolby Digital decoders will correctly produce 81dB SPL when evaluated using the THX Optimode signals. The decoders are not to blame, at fault are the THX Optimode signals themselves. There are situations in which the Optimode signals do produce the correct results (albeit with a 10dB discrepancy), and this we'll tackle in the final section of this article.  In recent years, DTS has become more popular and it was inevitable that DTS soundtracks would be compared to their Dolby Digital counterparts (ad infinitum). No matter which you prefer, one thing is clear: DTS soundtracks are almost always louder than Dolby Digital soundtracks. This is because the DTS bitstream does not carry an equivalent of Dolby Digital's dialog normalization bit and as we have learnt, in the majority of cases this instructs the Dolby Digital decoder to apply 4dB of attenuation to its outputs. In an effort to standardise the output levels of both Dolby Digital and DTS, some THX receiver and controller manufacturers (Denon being one example) are introducing a global 4dB gain to their Dolby Digital decoders, perhaps under instruction from the THX department of LucasFilm. This directly counters the 'standard' -4dB Dolby Digital dialog normalization bit and results in matched output volume levels between Dolby Digital and DTS source material. As manufacturers can reduce their internal calibration noise (against reference) by the same amount, output levels remain at the correct level unless the Dolby Digital signal carries a -0dB dialog normalization bit, in which case the outputs will have an artificial gain of 4dB. It would appear that the THX Optimode calibration noise has been recorded with the small number of decoders that employ this 4dB boost/cut scheme in mind. This is why some users — typically those with recently introduced hardware — report that the Optimode signals produce predictable output levels, even though as we have discussed, with the exception of 'Fight Club', they will be 10dB too loud.

Conclusion

The moral of this story is clear. Heed the warnings from THX and do not use the Optimode calibration signals to evaluate the output levels of your system... unless all you want is to differentiate one channel from another. Not only are the signals recorded at -20dBFS in error, but based on my own experiments using a number of THX and non-THX receivers and controllers, are also adversely affected by the use of a -4dB dialog normalization bit, contrary to the standards employed by Dolby Laboratories.

shortstack
sorry............ i guess i

sorry............ i guess i should be more specific.......... i was talking about video calibation not audio

Larry Dillon
Still Don't use the THX on a

Still Don't use the THX on a video to adjust the overall picture on Cable or Tuner, it is there to optimize the set for that movie.

shortstack
so the optimize will have u

so the optimize will have u manualy calibrate it for that movie? wont the other calibration disks be played on dvd also. would u recomend the avia or dve? is the thx optimzer still better then doing it by eye?

Larry Dillon
Yes to a point but I like the

Yes to a point but I like the avia disc.

Matt Whitlock
The THX Optimzer found on

The THX Optimzer found on some commercial DVDs will, to a point, help you set up brightness and contrast accurately enough to enjoy most commercial DVDs. However, one of my beefs with the THX optimizer is that it relies on your DVD players ability to pass PLUGE signals (blacker than black) to the display in order to set up brightness. Not all DVD players can pass PLUGE signals.

Also, unless you order the color filters, it will not help you set color or tint, which is crucial to accurately enjoying the movie. It doesn't have much of a sharpness pattern either, which will make it difficult to determine if you're oversharpening your picture.

The THX optimizer is "better than nothing", but a calibration disc like AVIA or DVE will let you take calibration a little further, and will assist you in setting all controls on your TV. Between the two, AVIA is a little more consumer friendly than DVE, and its black level patterns do not rely on on PLUGE signals... making it perfectly compatible with any DVD player.  

I've found that AVIA calibration works well for nearly all DVDs I've played, though it may not be perfect for regular television viewing. For sets that have separate settings for each input, you may want to use the AVIA settings as a baseline, and manually tweak a little from there.

TechLore has articles about calibrating TVs with AVIA, and also some help on the different controls your TV has:

How to Adjust Your Picture Using Video Test Patterns 

How to use your televisions video controls 

shortstack
i can get the dve for $5.99

i can get the dve for $5.99 since its was pre-open'd (rented) @ blockbuster but it is the dvd only it doesn't have the video filter w/ it. is it worth getting?

Matt Whitlock
shortstack said:

shortstack said:
i can get the dve for $5.99 since its was pre-open'd (rented) @ blockbuster but it is the dvd only it doesn't have the video filter w/ it. is it worth getting?

I would say no. Without the color filters you can't adjust color or tint, both of which are crucial to a good picture.

Connect With Techlore