How do I go about getting rid of a broken 50 " Plasma?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gary Hicks
How do I go about getting rid of a broken 50 " Plasma?

It's looks like my 50" Plasma Gateway is toast.  How would I get rid of it. or, recycle it?  Could it be sold for parts?  How?

GLH

dans_repair_service
Gary:  Without any indication

Gary:  Without any indication of your location, it is difficulty to provide you with suggestions.  Where are you? Each state has their own rules about disposal of these units.

Dan

Gary Hicks
Dan,

Dan,

I'm in San Diego, CA.  Any chance at all of selling the unit for parts?

Thanks,

GLH

Doob
If it were me I would take it

If it were me I would take it in front of the nearest Gateway store, or preferably one of their regional centers and drop it from a fairly good height.

After just replacing the light engine in a 2-1/2 year old LCD I would strongly urge "buyer beware" on all of these sets till the technology matures!!

Doob 

Gary Hicks
Doob,

Doob,

I see you can feel my pain.  Gateway doesn't even make Plasma's anymore, a bonus for all.  They horde Plasma parts for there extended warranty customers.  That's why I'm thinking people involved in the repair (of Gateways) business might be interested.  So ironic:  my 3-year warranty lapsed 11/21/06 and the thing developed problems the 27th of Dec., WOW!

GLH 

steve9
Hello, just go to your near

Hello, just go to your near by picture tube seller. Look in the phone book and either drop it off or some times they do pick ups. These places just might be able to fix it.

steve s.

dans_repair_service
Gary - I'm in Massachusetts,

Gary - I'm in Massachusetts, so I can't help directly.  What is/was the problem that led you to believe the unit is toast.  Perhaps we may be able to "fix" it?  Unfortunately you are somewhat of a victim of the early units.  When plasmas were $15000 and higher, we used to see them frequently even though they were in the customer's home only for WEEKS!!  This is common with new technology.  These units are much more reliable now.

Keep us posted.

Gary Hicks
Dan...

Dan...

I've described the problem in the Monitors, etc. section, page two--under my name.

Anyway, in the morning or first start-up of the day there is a flashing, flickering, strobe-light effect.  This lasts for up 45 min. now.  At first, 12/27/06, it lasted only 18-20 min.  Once the flicker subsides, it's totally normal.  If we turn it off and back on in a couple of hours, it strobes again for 10 min. or so.  The burst of light is much stronger now than at first, too.

Gateway hordes parts for its extended warranty customers.  I could pay a repair person up to $500 for them to tell me they can't get parts.  I'd rather get a new one. 

Larry Dillon said he thinks it could be a main board going out or a weak or failing power supply inside the TV.  My warranty expired 11/21/06, 3-years after purchase.  And your right, I paid $5999.00 for this thing.  It's such a bummer, we've really enjoyed it until recently.  Other brands:  Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, which we checked out, were going for a low of $7499.

Thanks for showing interest, Dan.

GLH

dans_repair_service
Given that the unit failed so

Given that the unit failed so close to the end of the warranty period, I'd beon the phone to Gateway and demanding at least a diagnosis.  Since the problem clears iteself after it warms up, I'd guess a bad connection somewhere or a failing component.  Given the symptom, Gateway should be able to point you in the right direction.  Worse case, open up the back (CAREFULLY) and buy a can of freeze spray.  Try spraying components once every few seconds until the problem appears.  This may find the failing part.

Dan

Gary Hicks
Dan,

Dan,

I really appreciate your feedback.  Nice of you to take the time here.  I've called Gateway, they gave me the name and contact info of there "repair people" for after warranty problems and told me to cut the main switch and unplug everything and wait 15 min.  I did all that twice.  It appears they're not willing to do any more.  It's on the wall, and truthfully Dan, I don't even know how to get it off the mounts and I'd need help--the thing weighs a ton.  But if I can get my son to help, we'll try your suggestion.  I just want the thing to disappear.  I like the data and customer reviews on the Panasonic 50" 9 series, so far.  Plus, getting rid of this thing is a hang-up, too.  I'm a psychologist not a tech person.  I'm sure you deal with my type all the time.

Again, thank you.

GLH

Connect With Techlore