JVC Camcorder:- Green Bands on playback

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kevvo
JVC Camcorder:- Green Bands on playback

I have a JVC-GR-DX97 camcorder which has developed a problem which consists of a series of green horizontal bands across the screen on playback. The top three bands are dark green, the next one down is lighter green and the bottom band is grey. What on earth do I do to get rid of them? I have tried head cleaner tape with no effect. Regards Kevvo

Larry Dillon
If the bands are only on

If the bands are only on playbeack and the display looks good while your recording, it sounds like the tape path is out of alighnment or there is a problem with the back tesion mechanism or the brake bands.  You can take it in locally to a repair depot or I have sent several peeps  HERE or HERE.  They all will give you a free estimate.  Good Luck and let know how you make out.

Kevvo
Larry Dillon said: If the

Larry Dillon said: If the bands are only on playbeack and the display looks good while your recording, it sounds like the tape path is out of alighnment or there is a problem with the back tesion mechanism or the brake bands.  You can take it in locally to a repair depot or I have sent several peeps  HERE or HERE.  They all will give you a free estimate.  Good Luck and let know how you make out.

Larry, thanks for your comments. I'll have to have the man with the tools have a look. I was hoping it might be something simple that I could fix by belting the thing with a wrench or something!! Unfortunately I can't use your suggested repair-guys as I am in England (where the history comes from!!) so I'll consult good old Yellow-Pages and see what transpires. Thanks again for your help...Regards Kevvo

Larry Dillon
Oh  I'm sorry my friend, I

Oh  I'm sorry my friend, I did not know you were in the UK.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

dans_repair_service
Keevo - You might help the

Keevo - You might help the repair techs a bit if you can narrow down the problem as folllows:If you connect the camcorder toan external TV with a video cable, does the same thing appear? If not, then you may have problem in the viewfinder circuits. If the problem is the same on the TV, the video processing board has a problem. Also, most JVC units are VHSC, if so then try inserting a recorded tape into a standard VCR. Does the tape play correctly or is it being recorded that way? Answers to these questions will allow the tech to determine whether or not the repair is worth it as well.hope this helps,Dan

Kevvo
Thanks for your input guys.

Thanks for your input guys. The problem is on playback as I have played pre-recorded tapes that I know are OK, so it appears I will have to part with some of my hard-earned cash after all...sob...sob....

Thanks again folks.

dans_repair_service
Keevo I have inquired and

Keevo I have inquired and found the following: The camera you have is digital yes? IF so, what you are seeing is basically dropout. JVC digital cameras fillin missing data with green pixels. Basically one of hte heads is not reading the information on the tape. The heads should be professionally cleaned and the tape path should be aligned. I have been told that these units are particularly sensitive to alignment. One other thing you can try is to take a blank tape and play it from beginning to end. This sometimes will clean the heads.Good luck.

Kevvo
Hey, another suggestion!! At

Hey, another suggestion!! At least I can say I'm getting full service from this site!! Thanks for your input, I'll give this idea a go and if no luck I'll get the man at the repair shop have a look.

Thanks again, Regards Kevvo.

FranceskaB
My Sony TRV-255E camcorder

My Sony TRV-255E camcorder seems to have the same problem, except that the bands across the playback picture are grey!  I will follow the advice given by the kind experts who have commented - like Kevvo, I am in the UK and also trying to avoid expensive repair bills so soon after Christmas!  Was hoping it might be some button I had hit by mistake.  Regards - FranceskaB

dans_repair_service
FranceskaB:  You have

FranceskaB:  You have basically the same problem.  What you are seeing is dropout.  Try cleaning theheads using a blank tape in play mode for the whole tape.  Hopefully this will celan the heads.  IF not, then a professional cleaning may be necessary.  Keep us posted.

Kevvo
Hi, Kevvo here again. I had a

Hi, Kevvo here again. I had a go at running a tape on play thro' from end to end and now my stripes have turned from green to grey!! So at least FranceskaB and I are now looking at the same problem!! Why are repairs to camcorders so d**n expensive? I've just bought a camcorder for less than I paid for a previous repair to another unit!! Regards Kevvo.

dans_repair_service
Part of the problem with

Part of the problem with camcorders is that they are difficult to open up (what seems to be hundreds of screws!) and most times, only board repoacement is possible.  I recall spending about 45 minutes taking apart a Sony camcorder just to replace a fuse.  Another 45 to put it back together and there you go.  BTW: The fuse blew because of a bad cell in one of the batteries...

Another cost is usually the jigs required to run the unit while apart.  The manufacturers make money by charging the service centers for all kinds of service equipment that is "required" in order to remain a service center.  In the end the servicer must make up the costs somehow.  Warantee repairs are usually a loss for service centers.  The only reason centers do the warantee work is to draw in the non-warantee work which is where they can actually make a little money.

Hope this helps a bit,

Larry Dillon
Like I stated in the first

Like I stated in the first post is the TAPE PATH.  I have fixed alot of these units so get the tape path adjusted or a good cleaning.  If it is not a cleaning it will be a back tesion problem or a mechanical alighnment.

FranceskaB

Hey!  Success,  thanks to you guys!  I ran a blank tape through my cam corder, then recorded a few minutes - and now the grey stripes are gone and all is back to normal!  Looks like you saved me an expensive bill.  Kevvo, have you tried this?  Hope it works for you.  Regards, Franceska.

Kevvo
It's OK for some I guess! I

It's OK for some I guess! I did as you did, Franceska, but no joy I'm afraid, It's still producing the same artistic arrangement of stripes across the screen. Perhaps I'll leave it like it is and tell everyone it's my deep, meaningfull abstract outlook on life. So, when you are at the cinema and they are showing Kevvo's "Life and Death in Hemel Hempstead" and it is dominated by an effect which looks like you are looking thro' a green venetian blind, then you can tell your friends "I know that guy and I was part of what inspired his Green-Stripey Period".

Off the mender I go.......thnks for all your help, people.

Regards Kevvo.

Larry Dillon
Please keep us informed with

Please keep us informed with the progress of this repair or cost Kevvo.  Hopfully you will soon get some joy!

Connect With Techlore