SONY KP51WS520 PROBLEM

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
trinidad23
SONY KP51WS520 PROBLEM

I HAVE A SONY TV THAT IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD,THE PROBLEM IS THE TV IS WORKING FINE ,BUT WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF,EITHER BY REMOTE OR MANUAL IT WON'T TURN BACK ON,THE LED STARTS BLINKING AND AFTER YOU UNPLUG THE TV FOR A FEW MINUTES ,THAN IT WORKS AGAIN UNTIL THE NEXT TIME YOU TURN IT OFF. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Larry Dillon
A common problem with this

A common problem with this set is the -12 or -13 switching regualator.  Also over heating of the set can cause this also.  Is this an RA 6 chassis?

craft
my sony is having the problem

my sony is having the problem of not turning on. it started by having a hard time turning on till it finally stopped completely. set was only 2 years old and sears wants 500.00 to replace "sub d board and sub g pcb as", and doesn't warranty this work. do they have problem diagnosed correctly and can a novice repair this problem? indicator light does blink 5 times when attempting to power on.

Larry Dillon
I would for sure get another

I would for sure get another estimate from someone else, as they want to replace the D board and The G board? The sub D board is the convergence sweep sweep power supply, and the High Voltage supply. The G board is the complete switch mode power supply. These are most of the time repaired to the componet level. this set is solid state and has no user replaceable parts inside them, so if you have had no solid state repair experience, play it safe and get a trained tech to assist you in this repair. Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Peter Redmer
i also had the same problem

i also had the same problem with my kp-51ws520.. led light blinked 9 times and wouldn't turn on... i had a guy from a repair shop come over and look at it.. $1,500.00 tv figured i'de let a service pro do it...he figured it was something to do with the g-board..so we loaded it up and he took it to his shop... tried to fix it without replacing the board and nothing worked so he said he replaced the g-board... cost me $400.00.  seemed to fix the problem for about two months then it started doing the same thing...so this time i took the back of the tv off and looked at it for myself and what i discovered still has me a little pissed off and it's been more than 6 months... apparently this retard used an  old/used g-board he had laying around his shop.... this is a PLUG IN board... no sodering involved and very simple to replace.. i ordered a brand new complete g-board (for around $60 back then) unpluged the old one pluged in the new one in less than 5 minutes and the tv has been working without any problems  of not turning on ever since...   where is the -12 or -13 switching regulator? on the g-board?  even though the replacing of the g-board  has fixed the problem the red led light doesn't have a constant glow when the tv is on...can't remember when it was first bought if it glowed constant or not but all other big screens i look at have the led light with a constant glow when turned on....

trinidad23
what is the real name for

what is the real name for this part? g-board,regulator board,switching regulator board, i'm confused. and also where can you get the part from? i try in the internet ,but i cannot find it. thanks for your help.

BAD3xL
I'm having the same problem..

I'm having the same problem...

9 Blinks, nothing, 9 Blinks....

Thing is, it has turned on before, after like 5000 Power button presses. This time, it just doesn't seem to be working.

Local Sony Service Center requested I bring the TV in for a diagnosis...but that's not possible. Not to mention the "local" center is 30+miles away.

HELP!!!

Larry Dillon
BAD3xL, A common problem with

BAD3xL, A common problem with this set is the -12 or -13 switching regualator.  Also over heating of the set can cause this also.   There are also some diodes that have caused this fault.  These parts are located on the "G" printed circuit board.  Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

BAD3xL
I read on another forum

I read on another forum reguarding this topic that soddering 2 diodes (D6116 and D6301) on the G board helped fix the problem (rather than replacing G board). only problem is i've yet to see a clear description on what these 2 diodes are?

any attempt at it (even for a temporary solution) is worth a shot on this point.

Larry Dillon
I dont remeber the numbers

I dont remeber the numbers but that chassis is an RA-6 and i do not see any diode numbers like that on the G board for that chassis.  That service manual is available HERE  It is a free download, but you must download all 11 parts for it to open properly.  It is a multi type download.  You will see a 0 through 10.  You must first click on the 0, download to your desktop, then go back click on the 1, download it, then 2, ect ect.  When all 11 parts are on your desktop  open just one of then and drag the PDF to your desk top then delete all the parts you downloaded and you now have a free service manual and saved 25 bucks or so. The G board and all the parts.  Let me know how you made out.

BAD3xL
hmm...not too sure that's for

hmm...not too sure that's for the right thing.

i noticed nowhere on those pdf's it mentioned the 51WS520, only 500...and the diagram of the G board looks nothing like the one I have...don't think it's the same set-up, picture of tv looks nothing like mine (as far as the base cabinet & so on)

Larry Dillon
I'm sorry but this thread

I'm sorry but this thread says Sony KP51WS520  so I assumed that was the model you were talking about.  if it is not then  in the future, please give all the info on the set so we can give you the proper info.  Whats your model and chassis numbers?

BAD3xL
i am refering to the

i am refering to the KP51WS520...those service manuals you linked to didn't say anything about the 520, only the 500...

not sure where to find my chasis model?

but i have a KP-51WS520 that was manufacutred in September 2004.

where would i find the chasis model?

Larry Dillon
oh geeezzz I am sorry, I

oh geeezzz I am sorry, I thought that was the 520.  The chassis number Should be on the back cover or on the inside, I looked at some info on this.  I found this.  It sems these diodes are open.  simply take a meter on the diode scale and measure them out of circuit.  One way they will read one way the wont.  if it does not read at all in any way you put the leads on the meter, the diode is bad.

"D6116 or D6301 is open (G board)".

Looking from the rear with the rear cover off, the G board is the first board form the left in the row of horizontally mounted boards at the bottom.  The chassis that the boards are mounted on my be withdrawn after removal of three screws that hold it in place.  The parts info is as follows:

REF. NO.      PART NO.            DESCRIPTION         VALUES

D6116         8-719-081-97      DIODE                   MMDL914T1
D6301         6-500-567-21      DIODE                   10ERB20-TB5

BAD3xL
Ok, at least we're talking

Ok, at least we're talking same parts now... lol

But the rest of that seems kind of like latin to me. Not exactly tech savy myself when it comes to electronics & wires & stuff like that. Will keep this in mind when I have my cousin check it out (if i don't break down & do it myself).

Any other info from any who has had this problem or has solved this problem would be great too...

Thanks for all the help!!!

Grocks TV
On my G-board my regulator is

On my G-board my regulator is a IC6100

is this the right  -12 or -13 switching regualator?

Thanks

stix
HELP!!!

HELP!!!

Hi,

I own the 520 and my problem is with the HD. I just purchased the HD box from my cable provider. The tv does not handle anything above 420p.

420p, everything is fine, even HD channels.

720p; the colours are not lined up. It's as if the guns weren't aligned, but they are, I also used the flash focus and nothing.

The cable provider technician suggested there's a problem with the HD processor.

I'm open to any ideas or comments you might have.

Thanks.

Larry Dillon
You own a 520?  What the heck

You own a 520?  What the heck  is a 520?  Please let's not assume we all know your lingo my friend.  Be a little direct with your question!

DuitMiSelf
I'm having the same power-on

I'm having the same power-on failure problems with my SONY KP51WS520 described in this thread, and belive that the solution is to replace the G-Board or the diodes referenced in the thread.

Can anyone share a source from which to order the G-board?

Thanks!

stix
Hey Larry,since the title of

Hey Larry,since the title of this forum is 'SONY KP51WS520 PROBLEM', i did assume it was obvious what the heck a 520 is....my bad.My 520 is a Sony KP51WS520.

From the previous threads I read, you sound quite knowledgeable and I would welcome your input.

I just realized I made a typo in my previous post; it should have been "480p, everything is fine, even HD channels.' Sorry.

Any idea as to what the problem could be? Thanks.

Larry Dillon
You can try tritronics.com,

You can try tritronics.com, partstore.com,

antne
were did u order the g-board

were did u order the g-board from?????

Larry Dillon
You can get the "G" board

You can get the "G" board from http://www.tristatemodule.com/  or try www.partstore.com  and if no luck there go to www.ptscorp.com, find their toll free number and ask them what a rebuilt board will cost you.  Good Luck, and let us know how you make out with this TV set.

Artfromny
BAD3xL said: Ok, at least we

BAD3xL said: Ok, at least we're talking same parts now... lol But the rest of that seems kind of like latin to me. Not exactly tech savy myself when it comes to electronics & wires & stuff like that. Will keep this in mind when I have my cousin check it out (if i don't break down & do it myself). Any other info from any who has had this problem or has solved this problem would be great too... Thanks for all the help!!!

If not tech savvy, break down and pay a tech to repair it, or pull the board and send to PTS Electronics for a professional rebuild.  Those boards have lots of SMDs on the bottom and it is easy for the inexperienced or careless person to dribble solder where it doesn't belong, causing more problems than you had in the first place

rickyFlores1
Hi,

Hi,
I have a Sony KP-51WS520. The problem with it is that is that when I turn it on it turn off by itself. The number of blinks in the standby Button is six (6). Can someone help me out? Thank you in advance.

BeyondFrustrated
I, too, have the KP51ws520

I, too, have the KP51ws520 model TV, and i have to turn the thing on like 15 times to get it to stay on. I turn it on, and the audio comes on, but no picture, then it just turns itself off. I guess (obviously) that's been a problem with this model, but being the female that I am, am completely TV illiterate. I don't know what a G-board is, nor would I know how to replace it, so can anyone give me an estimate about how much this would cost at a local TV repair shop? Thanks!

DuitMiSelf
When I had the problem, shops

When I had the problem, shops offered to repair it for about $500.00. However, the G-board cost about $70.00; and I replaced it myself.

If you know someone who's ever replaced a mother-board on a PC, then you know someone who can replace the G-board...a few screws from the back panel of the TV, pop a couple of clamps, snap the G-board in place, and it's done.

Buck
I read all of these e-mails

I read all of these e-mails and it seems apparent that there is a defect in this tv. We have the same problem. TV was purchased in 2005. Now, will not turn back on after several attempts and the LED blinking light.

Has anyone had any luck with having Sony standing behind their product? I would think they would want customers satisfied.

thanks.

Larry Dillon
Sony did stand behind the tv

Sony did stand behind the tv and you agreed on it when you purchased the set.You had an opportunity I am sure to buy an extended warranty, how many times does the light flash?? I will also need a complete model number as well as an E -address

mercury
I have sony KP-51WS520, wont

I have sony KP-51WS520, wont come on, LED flashes 10 times. does anyone know what the problem could be?

wicho PONCE
I have a similar problem that

I have a similar problem that appears on this forum with a KP-51WS520 when I try turn on the set the audio comes on but no picture after a few seconds it turns off and the blinking light remains. My question is: It could be the G-BOARD or D6116 or D6301 and if it's the G-board someone knows the price for rebuild it? Thanks: Wicho PONCE

Pages

Connect With Techlore