Red Screen on Hitachi LCD Rear Projection TV

152 posts / 0 new
Last post
David M
yes i to have the red screen

yes i to have the red screen from hell.  and yes this Hitachi is a dog.

but.... I have other problems.  When I depress the power button, I get a low volume, faint, rapid, " squeek, squeek, squeek, sound from the right rear of the set, with rapid flashing green, then slower flashing green.  Nothing happens but then either the lamp light or the temp light turns on and the flashing green.

What's going on here?

How am I going to watch the Cowboys this evening with a Set like this?

DM

thx

Larry Dillon
They lost so no biggie!!LOL

They lost so no biggie!!LOL just kidding.  That sound would indicate a short in the TV set somewhere.  possably in the power supply, lamp circuit or on the main board.  These are not unfortaintly sets you can repair your self as its all board levek and you would need a kit of board.  i have seen some repair shops just start replacing boards as they do not know hwta board is bad.  Good Luck and let us know if you got the set fixed and how you made out.

David M
L,

L,

Like kicking an extra point in football is complicated, these sets are a nightmare even for the average tech.  The logic chart on p 95 (no raster and no power) leads me to the Switching control I901 or relay S901 or rectifier D904.  Are these on the same board? 

If you hear click from the relay would that rule out that the relay is functioning improperly?

I will speak with Hitachi about PP 94-95 as it relates to my 50V500A.

Cowboy fans now feel like Hitachi owners, except much richer.

thx

DM

SufferingRed
We have the red screen

We have the red screen problem too.  I bought 51F110 Hitachi on May of 2005 for about 1700 dollars.  2 months after we received the TV the screen went red.  We contacted Hitachi and brought a repairman but unfortunately the problem resolved itself by the time repiarman showed up.  They made a note in our file.  Now after 1 1/2 year the red screen has come back even worst and also with some horizontal reddish line.  So far we have not had any luck with Hitachi evnthough this issue existed from the beginning.  We get the standard line of waranty on TV is over.  Defintely these sets are defective!  We will keep pursuing this issue with Hitachi but I am not very optimistic :(

Larry Dillon
DavidM  I was just breakin

DavidM  I was just breakin them.., If you have the manual let me have a peek and maybe I can direct you.  send it to [email protected]

Larry Dillon
Sufferingred, be persistant. 

Sufferingred, be persistant.  Do not give in.

Keithc
Keith here again. Are these

Keith here again. Are these optical engines universal or do you need the one for your specific tv set?  I wish there was someone here in Tampa,Fla. that could help with this TV dilema. If anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated. Thanks,

Keith Tampa Fla

rodman743
What a great site you all

What a great site you all have here. My Hitatchi problem is not the same but saw this thread and you all seem so knowledgeable I just had to ask. My Big Screen is three years old and just started to have an issue. On low light scenes it is very dark?  Bright  scenes  seem ok, maybe a little darker but not as noticeable. If this is not the proper forum could someone please direct me to the proper one. Thanks, Rod

Doob
I just went through the same

I just went through the same process with my 2-1/2 year old 50-500. Thanks to the posting from Motv guy, (Thanks!) I told Hitachi I was pretty sure it was the light engine from the rapidly spreading bluish blob and color washout. I put them in touch with my local authorized service center, they came out, made the same diagnosis and Hitachi shipped them a new engine free of charge.The set looked great after the repair.

I was only out labor charges of $200 or so which I'm still going to fight with Hitachi for. (If their product is defective why have to pay anything to have it fixed?)

Bottom line don't take no for an answer! Ask to speak to a supervisor if you get a balky service rep. (We got different answers from the three we talked to).  They know they have a problem and will ante up if you stay on them. If you have to go to the BBB, DA, or other outside agency, do it.

Frankly, if I had to do it all over I would wait till the technology matures in all of these sets and the manufacturers give a better warranty!! Buyer beware!

PS: My extended 2year warranty ran out in April 2006, so when that happens it's useless.

Larry Dillon
I have a five year on my

I have a five year on my Plasma.  Costly, but one service problem and It's paid for itself. And it is renewable.

MOtvGuy
Keithc said:

Keithc said:
Keith here again. Are these optical engines universal or do you need the one for your specific tv set? I wish there was someone here in Tampa,Fla. that could help with this TV dilema. If anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated. Thanks,
Keith Tampa Fla

Optical engines are model and brand specific. Sorry.  

MOtvGuy
SufferingRed said:

SufferingRed said:
We have the red screen problem too. I bought 51F110 Hitachi on May of 2005 for about 1700 dollars. 2 months after we received the TV the screen went red. We contacted Hitachi and brought a repairman but unfortunately the problem resolved itself by the time repiarman showed up. They made a note in our file. Now after 1 1/2 year the red screen has come back even worst and also with some horizontal reddish line. So far we have not had any luck with Hitachi evnthough this issue existed from the beginning. We get the standard line of waranty on TV is over. Defintely these sets are defective! We will keep pursuing this issue with Hitachi but I am not very optimistic :(

The problems with your set have nothing to do with this thread. Your set is a CRT based rear projector. The reddish screen problem in question is for LCOS rear projectors. Totally different problem.  

MOtvGuy
Doob said:

Doob said:
I just went through the same process with my 2-1/2 year old 50-500. Thanks to the posting from Motv guy, (Thanks!) I told Hitachi I was pretty sure it was the light engine from the rapidly spreading bluish blob and color washout. I put them in touch with my local authorized service center, they came out, made the same diagnosis and Hitachi shipped them a new engine free of charge.The set looked great after the repair.
I was only out labor charges of $200 or so which I'm still going to fight with Hitachi for. (If their product is defective why have to pay anything to have it fixed?)
Bottom line don't take no for an answer! Ask to speak to a supervisor if you get a balky service rep. (We got different answers from the three we talked to). They know they have a problem and will ante up if you stay on them. If you have to go to the BBB, DA, or other outside agency, do it.
Frankly, if I had to do it all over I would wait till the technology matures in all of these sets and the manufacturers give a better warranty!! Buyer beware!
PS: My extended 2year warranty ran out in April 2006, so when that happens it's useless.

Glad to see you got restitution.  I've put 2 engines in sets just this past week.  Add the same for 4 other techs in the shop and that's 10 in just one week.

MOtvGuy
David M said:

David M said:
yes i to have the red screen from hell. and yes this Hitachi is a dog.
but.... I have other problems. When I depress the power button, I get a low volume, faint, rapid, " squeek, squeek, squeek, sound from the right rear of the set, with rapid flashing green, then slower flashing green. Nothing happens but then either the lamp light or the temp light turns on and the flashing green.
What's going on here?
How am I going to watch the Cowboys this evening with a Set like this?
DM
thx

Sounds like a lamp that won't fire or a ballast problem.

Doob
David M:

David M:

Before I went throught the light engine hassle on my 50-500 , my screen went dark and I had to replace the lamp. I found one a new OE in box on eBay for alot less than the dealer or Hitachi. 

I'm just going to say  one more thing and wish you all good luck: If you are not prepared to pay an extra $1000 for an extended 5 yr warranty, over the large sum you've already paid or thinking about paying, than you should think twice in investing in these new sets till the technology is more proven and the manufaturers offer better guarantees. 

Larry Dillon
A five year warranty is

A five year warranty is costly, but not 1000 bucks!  it cost an extra 650 or so, i added it as the cost of the TV set.  ON these sets BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!  And for more then  three years.

Mishell
Well I am the one who

Well I am the one who originally started this thread and I am just now getting someone out to look at my set next Thursday.  It took a while to find someone that did factory work and who is Hitachi authorized as my set is 60" and a little too large to throw in the back of my pickup truck.  Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences on line.  It will give me more back up when I do go to battle with Hitachi.  I will let everyone know what happens.

SierraVR6
I would like to thank

I would like to thank everyone on this site for contributing. I just started to have the blue blob issue with my 50V500A Model. I contacted Hitachi at 1-800-654-7013 and had NO issues in getting a Light Engine shipped to my local Tech. They will cover the cost of the part as long as I pay for the labor. I had virtually NO issue with Hitachi.
Just make sure that you call Hitachi FIRST, have them tell you where the tech is (or have one ready for them) and then they will contact the tech to make sure that it is the Light Engine that needs to be replaced. From there the tech does the rest once they get the part. Thanks again to everyone!

Mishell
I finnally have my TV back

I finnally have my TV back and with the same experience some of you have had.  The engine was shipped to the repair center that I chose and all I had to do was pay $230.00 labor (I had to shop around for that rate as some repair centers wanted as much as $850 just for the labor).  I was ready to have to fight for the warranty but I didn't have to either.  It seems to me that possibly Hitachi got wind of this issue and possibly this site and changed their ways.  Here is the twist.  After the part was installed, we decided to measure our screen as we had forgotten if we had a 50 inch or 60.  It turns out that we have a 60 and when I called Hitachi, they told me that there is a different part number than the one that was installed.  Without hesitation they told me they are sending out the right part and they will even pay for labor to put it in!  I am thrilled.  I also would like to thank all of those who shared their experiences on this site.  I started out just trying to get a diagnosis which I did (thank you MoTVguy) and here I am with my beautiful picture backCool.  Way to step up to the plate Hitachi!!Good luck to all of you who may face this issue with your Hitachi!!

P.S.  I also used the phone number that sadviewer suggested: 1 800-654-7013.  That may make a difference.

Mishell

Larry Dillon
Thanks for replying !  It is

Thanks for replying !  It is great to see that folks really do get assistance when they need it.

MOtvGuy
Hitachi is actually

Hitachi is actually warrantying the V500 series to 3 years for the sets the company I work for purchased. This was part of a pre-agreement before the sets were purchased. Of course, no one knew at the time that these engines would begin failing with the regularity they've been failing.

This is basically a dirt on the LED panel issue. We've heard wind that Hitachi may want us to try cleaning these panels first. I can tell you from first hand experience that that is not going to fix the majority of these. We've had poor success attempting to clean the panels.

Hitachi is more than aware that they have a problem. How they wish to handle it is up to them. The engines we're now recieving are no longer new but rebuilds. We have had some issues with the quality of them (not related to the blue blobs or red screen issues).

Good luck to all dealing with Hitachi. Be persistant, it's clear they are starting to cave in on this issue.

Doob
Well it's good to see Hitachi

Well it's good to see Hitachi doing the right thing and people standing up and making them them do it. 

A postscript to my whole  light engine affair: After about a week or so of great picture with the new engine installed it started to blob out in the middle. Turns out the new engine was defective and Hitachi shipped my authorized tech folks a replacement which they put in at no charge.

Bottom line is these TV's have problems and Hitachi knows it and should cover it if you stand up and ask them to.

Good luck! 

sailby24
Greetings, we also have

Greetings, we also have become  victims of the BIG BLUE BLOB.  We have contacted our local service center who indicated that the repair would be expensive, they quoted $1200 to $1500 for the repairs. WOW this shocked us. Our 50" hitachi unit was purchased a little two years ago and we were told that warrenty would not cover the repair. WOW shocked again!! Hitachi had always portrayed quality for me! Hard to believe! A $4000 TV two years ago now sells for under about $1700 to $1800 requires such an expensive repair! This website is a GOD-SENT!! We had decided not to go ahead with the repair but now perhaps we may. My Question is, are  there more than one optical engine within the TV? And if so, are they all similar in design having the same limited life span.   THANKYOU    (sailby24)

Mishell
No.  The light engine

No.  The light engine basically IS your T.V.   I watched the whole repair in my home and being a mechanic myself I watched closely and asked questions.  The only other part is some circute boards and the lamp which is a maintenance item (only about $150.00 which you could replace yourself.  Upon speaking to Hatachi the last time I asked if the same (defective style) light engines were being provided and i was told that they have a different part number than the original so it appears there should be no failure of the new part.  Be sure to not call the basic customer support number.  Call 1 800-654-7013.  This is supposed to be the number for the light engine replacement center.  Be sure that you have a real diagnosis first before asking for the repairs.  Remember that my set was over 3 years old and it is being repaired for just the cost of labor.

Good luck!

Mishell

Larry Dillon
As I understand it, these are

As I understand it, these are the same light engines just rebuilt. Hitachi takes the light engines apart cleans them and reassembles them. MOtvGUY knows all about this problem. Good Luck

tbxpress
I would like to open by

I would like to open by saying how much I appreciate everyone's helpful comments and guidance.  We bought a 50VX500 Director's series 3 years ago.  The red cloud problem really started about 3-4 months ago but only now has it become unbearable.  So I called Hitachi Customer Relations, and they said I had to get the set evaluated before I could go further.  The local authorized repair facility sent out a tech and it took less than 5 minutes for him to say that the red lcd panel in the light engine was warped from poor heat ventilation.

So now I have to wait until the repair facility contacts Hitachi to see what happens next.  The tech said it would be about a $750-$800 repair, and that it would only take 45 minutes to an hour to fix it right in our home.  I asked him if this would happen again, and he the newer units had improved heat ventilation.  In his experience repeat repairs were not at all common with the newer light engines.  I am amped up to go to be extremely persistent with Hitachi over the cost of the new engine.  Without the engine I am looking at $150, so I will be as tenacious as a rabid pit bull!  Wish me luck.  I will post the results as soon as this little drama plays itself out.

Larry Dillon
It should not cost that much

It should not cost that much to replace the light engine man!  Hitachi is giving the service center the engine.  This repair should not cost you more then a couple of hundred bucks! Maybe 250 at best!  If the service company insist on charging you 800 bucks to replace this light engine, I would call Hitachi and tell them their service repersentative is ripping you off.  Good Luck and let us know what happens and how the repair went

MOtvGuy
The $750-800 estimate is

The $750-800 estimate is about right if they're paying for the engine.  That's a good 1 hour install in the field. 

Hugh Brown
    I had the same problem as

I had the same problem as mentioned in the other postings. My Hitachi television was almost three years old and had the red glow. I sent a letter to them asking for their help with this. They contacted me, had me get the set checked by their authorized service, then told me what they could do. The repair was $770 plus tax, $420 for the rebuilt light engine and $300 for labor. They picked up the part while I paid for the labor. I thought that this was fair for a television that was out of warranty. I am glad the they stood behind their product and I had forgotten how great the picture was. 

Ron4241
Well, now its my turn! My

Well, now its my turn! My 50V500 just starting showing a blue blotch in the middle of the screen. Sounds like my light engine has joined the rest of yours. So I called Hitachi today and they gave me the # of their local service center. I asked Hitachi about any known problems with the light engine and of course they denied it, they also suggested that it could be a number of other problems, the guy went on and on but suggested that I have their service rep look at it and then go from there. So I have an apt with the service center for them to come to the house next Monday 09/17/07 and check it out. I really hope Hitachi will cover the cost of the part. My TV will be 3 years old on 10/03/07. Wish me Luck!

Pages

Connect With Techlore