Toshiba, Model4283, picture is zig-zag.

389 posts / 0 new
Last post
RobWhatley
MOtvGuy said: Wish I would've

MOtvGuy said: Wish I would've joined sooner, I could've saved you a bunch of money. They problem is the Hyperboard, or digital module. The actual problem with the board is a bunch of defective surface mount 10uf @ 16v electrolytic capacitors that go bad. There are approximately a dozen on that board that can go bad. The board itself only has it's shield soldered to the main board, the actual board itself is a plug in. Extreme care must be taken after unsoldering the ground shield connections and then pulling up on the board, you can crack the main board if you don't remove it properly. We usually just remove the board, check all the capacitors and replace the bad ones and the set is fine.  Those capacitors can be found on-line for around $1-2 apiece. 

HELP!  Can you tell me any more about the Caps? Are they marked with a polarity? I'm an ole timer that used to to a LOT of soldering, however I've developed the dreaded "old fart" tremor.  But I'm gonna give it a go...... Any add'l info would be appreciated.  Location of Module on Main board and so forth.  Thanks much guys and God Bless....... wish me luck........ Rob

RobWhatley
mistjef said: as for location

mistjef said: as for location please read other post

Thanks Jef: I found the location after I posted.  Now the only question I have left is, are the caps Polarized or Non-polarized.  I'm talking about the 10 or 11 (depending on which post you read) 10/16 caps.  If someone can help me with that, I'm ready to give it a shot.

Thanks again.

rob

Kenpachi Zaraki
RobWhatley said: mistjef

RobWhatley said:

mistjef said: as for location please read other post

Thanks Jef: I found the location after I posted.  Now the only question I have left is, are the caps Polarized or Non-polarized.  I'm talking about the 10 or 11 (depending on which post you read) 10/16 caps.  If someone can help me with that, I'm ready to give it a shot. Thanks again. rob

They are polarized they have a black band on them thats the negative side.

Sorry it took so long to post I was fixing some LCD monitor power supplies and was just too lazy to post Money mouth

I have been soldering for a long time and have SMD experience. I sucessfully completed this on Thursday but it still is a tedious job it took me around 1 hour to do this job.

That includes opening the set removing the board replacing the caps and powering it up.

I had motivation to get it done quickly the season finale of Burn Notice was coming on Laughing.

I got it done with 5 minutes to spare.

The uf value is printed on the caps the first line is probably a lot number the second line is the value and the third line is the working voltage.

Well as promised here are some pics:

To remove the board from the signal board desolder the 4 grounding shield pins from the signal board. After the 4 pins are desoldered and straightened pull the board up and it will disconnect from its socket.

The Hyper Module Removed:

The module removed:

To remove the cover to access the innards you must remove four solder points here:

And here:

Once the solder is gone pull the cover off. 

Be sure to resolder the cover when you're done.

Inside the Hyper Module:

mistjef
when putting the hyper board

when putting the hyper board back in do I need to re solder the four tabs?

Kenpachi Zaraki
mistjef said: when putting

mistjef said: when putting the hyper board back in do I need to re solder the four tabs?

Yes put all of the solder points back the ones securing the case halves together and the tabs on the signal board.

These solder points ground the casing which keeps out RF interference which could distort the picture or cause other undesired things to happen.

Paddy
I ve been following along and

I ve been following along and wondering if I should give it a try. I didnt think my hyper mod was bad since it was a convergence problem only.  It sounded like the black IC mentioned at the begining. Well I send for replacements and changed out both. When I went to turn the TV on there was no picture or sound.  I could not even bring up the menu.  The red power light comes on but that's about all it does.  Did I really mess things up?  Does anyone have any possible ideas that I could trace back.  I checked and double check and all wiring sems intacts.  Please tell me I dont nee a whole new set or mother board.  Any way if anyone has an idea Iam all ears.  I  have only minimal experience with PCB soldering could it be I have some bad solder connections on the ICs?  Is ther a wire loose that I missed?  Help dont know what else to check.  Thanks guys!

mistjef
Just a heads up if you are

Just a heads up if you are looking for a hyper board Tri Tronics will have 10 on stock shortly (EST FROM TOSHIBA IS 10-05-07) I have been you could say working with Toshiba look at the post I did about the California Law and I did what I said I was going to do and filed a complaint with Toshiba as well as with the BARE.  Well to make a very vary long story short Toshiba came up with 12 Boards BUT only authorize parts companies can buy them that’s where Tri Tronics comes in I called all of the authorized Toshiba parts dealers no one but Tri Tronics would help me Tri Tronics told me they would call Toshiba and verify if they had the part and would order it if they did. They do have the part and Tri Tronics ordered all that they had the bad part is the price went up to 297.00 So keep an eye on there web sight they already did the price change ( you can thank me later )  

Larry Dillon
You can have those boards

You can have those boards rebuilt a lot less at ptscorp.com. Go there and get the number and call them with the part number. That's highway robbery man. The capacitors are the problem with this board. You can get the capacitors for less the 20 bucks and pay a tech to replace them for you.

mr. wonderfull
I am going to attempt this

I am going to attempt this repair myself as I am pretty good with a soldering iron,I have soldered IC chips before so i think i can do these Cool

I was wondering if someone could email these pictures that are talked about on the forum,I think they are of the repair in progress.My email is [email protected]

Also,I need to know the caps to buy,I see 2 different ratings listed. thanks!

Rob

mr. wonderfull
Actually  I found the

Actually  I found the previous post and ordered 15 of the caps in case i mess any up. the only other thing i need to know is when i pull these boards out,obviously i will have it unplugged.Is there anything i have to watch out for as far as high voltage,etc zapping me? I dont want any unpleasant surprises.

Kenpachi Zaraki
Robh said: I am going to

Robh said: I am going to attempt this repair myself as I am pretty good with a soldering iron,I have soldered IC chips before so i think i can do these Cool I was wondering if someone could email these pictures that are talked about on the forum,I think they are of the repair in progress.My email is [email protected] Also,I need to know the caps to buy,I see 2 different ratings listed. thanks! Rob

The high voltage is on a completely different board. The hyper is on the signal board the board next to it is the Power/Deflection Board that board contains a flyback and a tripler keep clear of the red wires leading to the bells of the three picture tubes and you'll be fine.

Contrary to popular belief the High Voltage on TVs is high voltage low current. In other words its not an electric chair that will kill you instantly. However I know from experience its not plesant Foot in mouth. I was 15 and for some dumb reason I tried prying the anode wire off with a screwdriver. I touched my finger onto the shaft of the screwdriver and the next thing I know my arm is behind my back and the screwdriver is at the other side of the room Yell. Ever since then I have the utmost respect for the high voltage.

I personally use a high voltage probe to discharge the tubes when I work on TVs the probe has a resistive divider that slowly brings down the residual high voltage and I can monitor it too on the gauge.

Plus no nasty pops and sparks that makes the wife nervious with the screwdriver method.

On a TV like this where the signal board and power boards are separate its ok not to discharge just keep your hands away from the power board however on a regular TV where there is only 1 board I always discharge.

Larry Dillon
That way of discharging the

That way of discharging the tubes, we call the safe or sissy way> LOL I would rather be a sissy then be thrown against the wall, and I have been tossed a few times.

Kenpachi Zaraki
mistjef said: Just a heads

mistjef said:

Just a heads up if you are looking for a hyper board Tri Tronics will have 10 on stock shortly (EST FROM TOSHIBA IS 10-05-07) I have been you could say working with Toshiba look at the post I did about the California Law and I did what I said I was going to do and filed a complaint with Toshiba as well as with the BARE.  Well to make a very vary long story short Toshiba came up with 12 Boards BUT only authorize parts companies can buy them that’s where Tri Tronics comes in I called all of the authorized Toshiba parts dealers no one but Tri Tronics would help me Tri Tronics told me they would call Toshiba and verify if they had the part and would order it if they did. They do have the part and Tri Tronics ordered all that they had the bad part is the price went up to 297.00 So keep an eye on there web sight they already did the price change ( you can thank me later )  

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but chances are those boards from Toshiba have the same bad caps that we have which means all you will do is buy some time. In time they will fail and you will be back in the same boat. If you don't have the confidence to solder the caps send the board to pts and they will do it for you. Its alot cheaper then dumping 280+ to Tritronics.

Don't get me wrong I love Tritronics they have pulled my butt out of the fire many times where I've found hard to find parts like Microwave magnetrons, TV flybacks, and other parts but that price is crazy.

Larry Dillon
It certainly is crazy, and I

It certainly is crazy, and I have post the EXACT same thing just a several post before yours. That price is just robbery! It is obscene! You get screwed and don't get kissed!

mr. wonderfull
I figure if I can fix it so

I figure if I can fix it so be it,if I mess it up,I already told the wife be ready to go Plasma shopping next week lol. They dont look that hard to solder,I have soldered plenty and I have done a lot smaller than these caps look so I am hoping for the best.What i might do is if i fix it,sell it for $500 and then put tht towards a plasma 50" :)

Larry Dillon
Good plan, but if you let pts

Good plan, but if you let pts fix the board, then you will spend about 100 bucks or so and then you know you will be able to sell it for at least 500 bucks. If you mess up the soldering, as surface mounted solderimg is a lot different the regular soldering my friend. You can donate it to a landfill and pay for it then too.  You have to know how to surface mount desolder as well as solder or the landings will tear off from the heat. It is not as easy as it seems. Good Luck

mr. wonderfull
How fast is the turnaround

How fast is the turnaround with them? If it takes a day or two I dont mind,but if they sit on it for 4 weeks I really dont want that especially with Ohio sports teams doing well right now :)

Larry Dillon
I am really not sure of the

I am really not sure of the time. But, you should go to ptscorp.com, look up the tlephone number, call them and ask.

gagey
PTS takes about 2 weeks

PTS takes about 2 weeks

They quote 3 business days for the refurb then UPS ground it back to you.

I sent in my hypermodule to get the caps replaced on a monday and received my board back the next wednsday.

Just put it all back together and its working fine.. no need to buy a new TV for me :)

Reading this forum really helped as I have never done this type of solodering world before and was afraid i had killed the main board cduring my amaturish desolodering job..

btw..They charged me $138 for the refurb 

Larry Dillon
Glad to hear we could help

Glad to hear we could help you. Godd Job!

Guest (not verified)
Larry Dillon said: Good plan

Larry Dillon said: Good plan, but if you let pts fix the board, then you will spend about 100 bucks or so and then you know you will be able to sell it for at least 500 bucks. If you mess up the soldering, as surface mounted solderimg is a lot different the regular soldering my friend. You can donate it to a landfill and pay for it then too.  You have to know how to surface mount desolder as well as solder or the landings will tear off from the heat. It is not as easy as it seems. Good Luck

Hello everyone,

I COMPLETELY agree with you Larry. I read ALL the previous posts and I decided to tackle this on my own. It took me a day to take everything appart and get to the hypermodule. Once I desoldered the hypermodule, I started todesolder the caps and guess what, the landings started comming off one after the other, about 3 of them. So i put a little extra solder there just to se if they would stick back and put everything together but now when i turn on the TV, I hear this strange beeeeep noise and the TV screen is just BLACK on sign of picture at all.

Someone please tell me what are my options besides landfill?  Thanks i advance!!

Larry Dillon
Get a new Hyper board now for

Get a new Hyper board now for about 300 bucks. Surface mounted soldering is a lot different then regular soldering. I guess you learned the hard way. You should have sent the board into pts. Oh well, Good Luck

mr. wonderfull
If we could get a new board

If we could get a new board we would,you cannot buy them anywhere anymore,you can either repair them or get a company to repair them for you.Its not worth the trouble for me,I will just buy a plasma,this set is dated anyway.

Larry Dillon
Thats where you are wrong my

Thats where you are wrong my friend.  guess you have not read up on the boards in this thread, Toshiba has released many of them to only AUTHORIZED parts centers. They are mentioned here in this forum. It state

s: Be carefull with the new sets also. Do not expect them to last more then a few years without a major repair. Buy an extended warranty with the purchase.

pants
Lusankya said: PTS takes

Lusankya said: PTS takes about 2 weeks They quote 3 business days for the refurb then UPS ground it back to you. I sent in my hypermodule to get the caps replaced on a monday and received my board back the next wednsday. Just put it all back together and its working fine.. no need to buy a new TV for me :) Reading this forum really helped as I have never done this type of solodering world before and was afraid i had killed the main board cduring my amaturish desolodering job.. btw..They charged me $138 for the refurb 

Can you please post how I send this in for a rebuild.  I have no idea how to do what is being explained.  Ok,  I am a nursing student and this is all freeking me out.  I do however have a friend that does electronics.  If I can get it refurbed for 138 HOLLY CRAP SOLD!  Please let me know what to do next.  Oh and by the way, to all of you who have posted pictures and information about this crappy problem, THANK YOU SO MUCH.  I bought this tv, 1 month later had converg. failure.  They (toshiba) talked their way out of fixing it.  By one year it took an hour to clear up and it has sat for like 3.  Cant afford a new one and if I can fix this.  I will be so happy.  Thank you all!

Larry Dillon
The posts here will tell you

The posts here will tell you how to take out the board. Then go to ptscorp.com and find the toll free number on the web site and call them and get all of the information you need like price, where to ship it, ect. Good Luck.

Guest (not verified)
Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

As youmight have read from a previous post, I tackeled this project myself with little soldering skills. I posted here a picture guide up to the point where you can follow the other pictures posted earlier in the discussion, though I would recommend only going as far as just removing the hypermodule and give it to someone else to change the Surface Mount Caps if you don't have any experience. It is well worth it to replace the caps because the TV is pretty good. Just FYI, these caps look preety big on the web but they are actually half the size of an M&M they are very little and hard to replace without overheating the cap next to it or worst case scenario I went through, removing the landings. If you are going to do this by yourself, please do not use a cheap 7.99 Big Lots solder, find one where you can adjust the heat going through and MOST Importantly, finde a Long Fine Soldering Tip.(someone else mentioned this as well). A few caps are really close to eachother and is very hard to put the soldering iron through. The other thing you will definitely need is a desoldering bulb i think it is calledto suck all the molten solder.

Follow the pictures and you will be fine. Remember DO NOT TOUCH or mess with the other half of the board, especially with the RED tubes going up to the TV screen unless you want to get a Buzz of electricity. UNPLUGG the TV set!!!

FOLLOW THIS PICTURES AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I AM NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR THE OUTCOME IF YOU DO NOT ARRIVE AT THE DESIRED RESULT OR GET ELECTRIFIED WHILE DOING THIS PROJECT.

Hopefully, the ictures will give you a better idea what to expect!

Larry Dillon
Way to far for me unless your

Way to far for me unless your including shipping to Northern Michigan.

Guest (not verified)
Larry Dillon said: Way to

Larry Dillon said: Way to far for me unless your including shipping to Northern Michigan.

Larry Dillon said: Way to far for me unless your including shipping to Northern Michigan.

Larry I am talking about, taking this tv to a local tv repair shop or listing it on Craigslist or so something similar, how much would you value this tv. $30, $50, $100 ? what is a reasonable price again keeping in mind that the Hypermodule is not working due to the breaking of the landings while trying to solder the smc-s.

Thanks a lot to you and to the rest of the people who have posted in this thread. 

Larry Dillon
Oh in that case, it is not

Oh in that case, it is not worth really that much with broken landings. Try 50 or 75 bucks or best offer on craigslist.

Pages

Connect With Techlore