Sony Vaio Microphone Not working!

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
Buckingham
Sony Vaio Microphone Not working!

Hi, I am new to all of this. Sorry if these seems really dumb to all you experts!

I cannot seem to get the mic on my Sony Viao to work. It was working but now it has stopped. All very annoying.

Can anyone suggest why?

Many thanks!

Matt Whitlock
Double check the connection

Double check the connection for the microphone, and make sure it didn't get unplugged. If it's a notebook with a built in mic, ignore.

Open the mixer settings on your computer and make sure the microphone is not muted or disabled. 

Try those and post back.

Buckingham
Hello Matt

Hello Matt

How kind of you to reply.

OK, another dumb question - what are 'mixer settings'???

I should also mention that the problem exists with the built-in mic. Headphones + mic do not help.

Thanks!

Matt Whitlock
First, make sure that you don

First, make sure that you don't have something else plugged into the external microphone input. That will override the built in mic.

"Mixer" settings is a program on your computer that manages the volume and input levels for your computer's audio card. The problem is, every computer is a little different based on what audio chip and associated software is installed. Take a trip into the Windows Control Panel, and click on "Sounds and Audio" devices. Under the "Audio" tab, there should be a button labeled "volume" under "Sound playback" and "Sound recording" These should take you to the appropriate mixers. Hopefully that will get you on the right track.

There may be other software that contols your audio card, so you may need to do a little hunting around your computer for the appropriate programs. 

Good luck!

Buckingham
Matt,

Matt,

Thanks SO much - it worked!

As a token of my thanks, I will donate £5 tomorrow to the charity of your choice. Just let me know which one is your favourite.

Thanks again!

Matt Whitlock
You're welcome for the help.

You're welcome for the help. That's why TechLore is here. Smile

Your offer to make a donation on our behalf is generous, but not necessary. You can thank us by staying involved in the community, helping others that may have questions you can answer, sharing your electronic experiences and opinions, and telling everyone you know about TechLore.com - The Consumer Electronics Community!

Cheers!

Buckingham
Will do. It's such a good

Will do. It's such a good idea. I have already told a friend.

Thanks again.

gia
my sony vaio vgn-nr498e built

my sony vaio vgn-nr498e built in mic is not recognized..it says that no mic was installed..but as we all know this laptop has its built in mic..it was working a week ago then suddenly when i was about tu use it, my laptop cannot recognize it already..please help me..

brainsurgeon
http://www.computer-juice.com

http://www.computer-juice.com/forums/f45/disabled-mic-sony-vaio-running-...

"If you are still looking for the answer to this annoying problem, I
have the solution. A lot of the problems with finding the solution is
that some people are speaking about Vista and some are speaking about
XP. REGARDLESS you are going to kick yourself when you figure out how
easy this is (I know I did).

Open Sound from the Control
Panel. Go to the Recording Devices tab. Get ready for this because it
made me feel dumb...Right click in the window of populated results for
recording devices. You have to select to display disabled devices.

Apparently Vista thought making this the default and having people
search relentlessly for the answer epitomized a user friendly system
haha. Do not worry Windows 7 is on the way and apparently it is all that Vista was supposed to be."

agentburnok said:
my sony vaio vgn-nr498e built in mic is not recognized..it says that no mic was installed..but as we all know this laptop has its built in mic..it was working a week ago then suddenly when i was about tu use it, my laptop cannot recognize it already..please help me..

gia
thnx for the info..but when i

thnx for the info..but when i opened the recording devices it says no mic has been installed..my sony vaio operating system is windows vista...

brainsurgeon
As I say, in that window

As I say, in that window where it says that you have no recording devices installed , Right click and follow the instructions as above.

KennyA
I have the same laptop, VGN

I have the same laptop, VGN-NR498e/w it shows my realtek Microphone(internal)
but says it is "not plugged in"

displaying the disabled devices does not help.

anyone have an answer to this? thanks in advance

Internal Mic has never worked since i bought the computer. i tried reinstalling the driver but that did not fix the problem either.

Elizabeth_in_PA
I am having the same problem

I am having the same problem - I tried the trick listed above (Open Sound from the Control Panel. Go to the Recording Devices tab. Get ready for this because it made me feel dumb...Right click in the window of populated results for recording devices. You have to select to display disabled devices), but nothing happened - only one mic. is listed (realtek - which irritatingly has a green checkmark and says that it is working). Any other ideas? Have had the computer for about a year - and the microphone problem irritates the heck out of me!

troubled_girl
hi there!

hi there!

i'm having a problem with the built-in microphone of a sony vaio notebook with a windows 7 os. i disabled it because at start-up it creates a very irritating noise. i then found out that it was caused by a feedback from the microphone. now i can't get the microphone back! it's no longer working!

what am i going to do? please help me!!!

Jackkoumi
I downgraded from Vista to XP

I downgraded from Vista to XP and I have the same problem as Elizabeth_in_PA on October 28 2009. In fact, I do not even have a Recording Devices Tab!
Also same problem of feedback as troubled_girl on November 8 2009.
Also, when I go from Control Panel to Sounds and Audio Devices and click the Audio tab, I do not get control of Sound Recording volume (I click on Vulume and get an hourglass for about a second, then nothing). In fact I can see that my control of Recording is not enabled by another route. Under the Volume tab, if I click Advanced in Device Volume, then Options>Properties, I see that I have control of playback but not of Recording

caloumi
I also downgraded from Vista

I also downgraded from Vista to XP. Couldn't use microphone or camera. Sony centre told me there were no drivers for XP! Then on Skype one day and my mike worked - don't know why! I have just had to reload all the software on my laptop and I am back where I started; no microphone, unable to set volume just get the hourglass as Jackkoumi.

Akshat
hii,

hii,
I am using a sony VGN-NR498E laptop and I am facing two problems regarding the same

1> the inbuilt mic is not working. It says that no devices are attached or
installed.
2> The right speaker of my laptop has stopped working suddenly. I reinstalled
the driver but still it is not working.

plz help

dobe1019
Same problem. Sony Vaio

Same problem. Sony Vaio VPCCW17FX laptop. Tried all of the above. Nothing works. When using Skype/Gmail video/chat the other person receives all static. I uninstalled applications, reinstalled them, performed h/d maintenance, etc. all to no avail. Obviously a Windows 7 problem because other laptops running on Vista and XP work fine. Think I'm gonna take it back and see if the the Geek Squad can resolve. Amazing that Windows hasn't provided a fix as important as sound/video is these days. I'd welcome any suggestions from anyone who may have had success in solving the problem.

PS1
I have SONY VAIO VGN Z56GG

I have SONY VAIO VGN Z56GG model with Windows 7 (32 bit) installed. The built-in microphone works erratically from yahoo/skype/gtalk -- sometimes works after booting, then stops working. It starts working again for a while after rebooting. Please help.

Tibet
I have VGN-CS220J and going

I have VGN-CS220J and going through the similar situations mentioned above.. I recently upgrated my laptop from windows vista to windows 7 and my in built in mic and AV keys are not working and also when i press windows+ vol and brightness which used to operate, too doen't work anymore.. I tried the control panel path but to no avail.. anyone out there who can help please...thank you...

Mukesh
Hey matt..how are you ?

Hey matt..how are you ?
I hope you wouldn't mind helping me out...

Recently, I bought a Sony vaio vpccw21fx and it was working quite well but yesterday off a sudden microphone problem occured..

Some weired sound is coming if am enabling the inbuilt microphone and also I can't use output also bcoz of that or may its not like that that device is misplaced or what...

Please help me out with this issue...

Will be really thankfull to you...

Mukesh
http://www.techlore.com
Aurora
Hi I have a SONY VAIO VGN

Hi I have a SONY VAIO VGN-NW270F laptop. and I have recently changed my hard disk and my internal built in microphone isn't working. I tried all the above but it still isn't working CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

gerdy
The Volume and Brightness FN

The Volume and Brightness FN keys will only operate in Windows 7 if the Sony drivers (available from Sony support) are

Install exactly in this order:

Download all 3 sony drivers below for Vista

Install Vaio event service
Reboot
Install Sony DLL Utils
Reboot
Install Sony shared Library
Reboot and it should work

ladyhammer04
Hi

Hi
You can't believe how I solved this freaking problem.
JUST HIBERNATE YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!!!

try this ;)

laxtt fort
brainsurgeon - thanks very

brainsurgeon - thanks very much! - my mic has been disabled for ages and i solved it within a minute with your advice! right click on a menu - such a strnage way that vista works
thanks again

Mzu
I had the same problem with

I had the same problem with sony vgn-CS series. I'd just upgraded from vista to windows 7. I went to the control panel, clicked hardware devices and sounds; clicked sound; clicked recording; right clicked the mic icon; disabled. The thing worked perfectly well thereafter.

2rna
I have sony vpccw17fx and

I have sony vpccw17fx and recently upgraded to windows 7 professional but my Fn key doesn't work :( does anyone know how can I fix this problem? I'll be grateful of you.

alexandra6 colom
necesito ayuda, tengo sony

necesito ayuda, tengo sony vaio con windows 7, mi microfono dejo de funcionar hace 2 dias, no lo he logrado hacer funcionar, por favor alguien ayudeme, no se mucho de computadores necesito pasos sencillos para solucionar mi problema

evil
?Es el micr?fono integrado en

?Es el micr?fono integrado en el equipo o se utiliza un micr?fono externo?

alexandra6 colom
is a laptop i guess is

is a laptop i guess is internal, i entered to control panel and i can see the microphone is disconected, i donnt know how can i do connect it, i never disconected the microphone

es un portatil supongo que es interno, entre a panel de contro y aparece desconectado el microfono, no se como conectardlo ademas nunca lo desconecte

Pages

Connect With Techlore