video upscaling

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mth57
video upscaling

Will the quality of my picture noticeably improve if I connect my Dish Network receiver to a home theater surround  receiver with video upscaling? 

Larry Dillon
It will totally depend on the

It will totally depend on the type of display that your using.  Upscaling is a process that mathematically matches the pixel count of the output of the DVD signal to the physical pixel count on an HDTV, which is typically  1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i).   Visually, there is very little difference to the eye of the average consumer between 720p and 1080i. However, 720p can deliver a slightly smoother-looking image, due to the fact that lines and pixels are displayed in a consecutive pattern, rather than in an alternate pattern.  The upscaling process does a good job of matching the upscaled pixel output of a DVD player to the native pixel display resolution of an HDTV capable television, resulting in better detail and color consistency.   However, upscaling, as it is currently implemented, cannot convert standard DVD images into true high-definition images. In fact, although upscaling works well with fixed pixel displays, such as Plasma and LCD televisions, results are not always consistent on CRT-based high definition televisions.  hope this explains it.

mth57
So the video upscaling only

So the video upscaling only affects DVD playback and not the satelite receiver input signal.   Is the difference in the picture quality of Dish Networks HD programming worth the expense of upgrading?  I have a 52" RCA CRT based with an integral HDTV tuner and was thinking of upgrading but am not sure if  it's worth $199.99 for a receiver and $20 more each month for programming. 

Larry Dillon
Only if you have an HD

Only if you have an HD capable Display. If you get an Hd brodcast, your not going to notice the differance in picture quality.

Matt Whitlock
mth57 might be referring to

mth57 might be referring to the component upconversion feature found on many of today's home theater receiver. If this is the case, users can plug composite and S-video sources into the receiver, and the receiver will convert them into component signals for convenience. This prevents the user from having to constantly swith inputs on the TV when viewing analog sources.

If it truly does have a video upscaling feature (there are receivers that can do this), I wouldn't expect any major changes in video quality. Besides, if it is a digtal display, it will already have some kind of processing that does this, then it's a matter of determining which does it better.

mth57
Is there a noticeable

Is there a noticeable difference between Dish HD and the regular digital picture?  I have an RCA HDTV with an integrated HD tuner.  I am assuming that I am watching a digital quality picture with this tv and was wondering if it was worth the expense to upgrade to HD.

Connect With Techlore