help with surrond

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
motorhead
help with surrond

I recently purchased a rca surround system. Im running a dvd/vcr combo, sat, and a t.v.  I have 1 digital cable line that hooks up in the back of the recevier and it runs into the back of the combo player sounds good but only get sound when im watching a dvd.. How do i run cables from my tv so i can watch regular sat. with my surround sound on? please help im sure its a simple fix but im really baffeld  thanks motorhead

Matt Whitlock
You need to connect audio

You need to connect audio from your satellite receiver to an open input on your receiver, then select the appropriate input on the receiver. Your surround sound receiver will work in pro-logic mode unless your sat box has a digital audio output and you watch a program with 5.1 surround (mostly premium movie channels).

Yog-Sothoth
I have 1 digital cable line

I have 1 digital cable line that hooks up in the back of the recevier and it runs into the back of the combo player sounds good but only get sound when im watching a dvd.

Most likely, your combo player only supports digital audio from the DVD player portion and not the VCR. To get sound from the VCR, you'll need to connect a stereo patch cable (with RCA plugs) from your combo unit to your surround receiver. 

Does your satellite receiver not have a digital output (Toslink)? If not, you'll also need to run a patch cable from that to your receiver.

The other option would be to run the audio out from your TV to your receiver via a patch cable (this would cover both the VCR and the satellite). Note that there will be some added distortion using this method, however.

Connect With Techlore