Volume problem

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
rani
Volume problem

We have a Magnavox 21" TV it's aprox 3 yrs old.  Recently the volume wacked out.  It's almost like it half muted.  Even on the highest volume of 10 we can hear it but it's more like a volume of 4-5 level.  I've played with the remote buttons for hours trying different combo's trying to get the volume back to normal but nothing has worked. We also opened it up, it didnt really look dusty but we used some air on it anyway.  It didnt make any difference either.  Any thoughts or idea's would be appreiciated.  Thanks Smile

Matt Whitlock
Do you use a cable or sat box

Do you use a cable or sat box, or the internal tuner for the set?  Does it happen on all sources like DVDs and game systems, or only with one particular device?

rani
Matt Whitlock said: Do you

Matt Whitlock said: Do you use a cable or sat box, or the internal tuner for the set?  Does it happen on all sources like DVDs and game systems, or only with one particular device?

Yes we have  direct tv, but we dont get any reception here without it so I cant test the volume without direct tv.  However when i plug in the Nintendo or DVD player which both playt on the AV channel the sound is fine.  weird.   Do you happen to know why?

Matt Whitlock
Well, you certainly know how

Well, you certainly know how to get someone's attention. 

Since the TV plays fine with external AV sources like a DVD player or games system, I have two ideas.

#1. If you have your DirecTV box connected to the TVs tuner (your TV must be on channel 3 to watch satellite), there may be a problem with your TVs tuner. As a test, you can try connecting your DirecTV box to the external inputs and test that way.

#2. Many satellite and cable boxes have their own internal volume control seperate from the TV. If the box volume is all the way down, it would explain why you're not hearing anything, even with the TV volume cranked. If you're not sure if your box has an internal volume control, I can try to find a manual online if you can provide the brand and model number of the box. 

Hopeully those thoughts get you going.

rani
Interesting idea's, except I

Interesting idea's, except I dont have a clue as to how to connect the direcTV to an external input.  However I can say since I posted this we did a TV switch and that peticular direcTV box is now connected to a Sanyo and all is working fine.  So as you mentioned it must be the tunner on the magnavox. What is a tunner??? and can it be replaced or fixed???  Im totaly amazed at your kindness to help, before I posted this question, I tried a  tv repair shop and the closest and only shop was 60 miles away and he didnt have a clue, idea or even a suggestion except to have me bring it in and then he couldnt promise anything except a price estimate repaired or not.   So your help and advise is appreciated beyond words. You should open a TV repair shop! Thank You very much, Suzie

Matt Whitlock
You should be able to connect

You should be able to connect the DirecTV box using the yellow/red/and white plugs on the back of the box to a corresponding input on the television. 

Does your TV have yellow/red/white plugs on the back? They look like this:

AV jack 

rani
Yes it has those connectors

Yes it has those connectors on the front that's where we connect the nintendo and dvd player by using a AV cord.  So I know that works.  We already changed the tv's around and re-programmed the direct tv boxes to correspond with the changes.  Maybe I should have mention this the problem started after I took off the cable hooked to the back of the tv from the direct tv box it was inset so tight I had to use vise grips to get it loose and I could see it was twisting the whole connection inside the tv.  Is that connector on the back of the tv the tunner by chance.   Thanks

Matt Whitlock
That would be it, and by the

That would be it, and by the sound of it, it looks like you may have seriously damaged it.

I wouldn't worry though. You can connect your DirecTV box to the front input like you do with your DVD player and game system. It's really better that way, as it will improve both picture and sound quality from your DirecTV box.

I know what you're thinking, "I have 3 devices, and can only plug in one at a time". That's true, but you can easily expand how many devices you can keep connected at once by adding an AV switch box.  You can learn more about how to do this by reading the article: What To Do If You Run Out of Inputs On Your TV

rani
Oh, how cool, and thank you

Oh, how cool, and thank you sooooooooo, very much, we almost threw the tv out.  I will read the article, as we're trying to decide whether we want to add a third direct tv box the the house.  Now a days it's so rare to find others that are willing to help others, I hope for all the acts of xhelp &  kindness you've shown may you receive 10 fold the treasures in return. Thank you again for all your help, Rani

Matt Whitlock
You're welcome for the help,

You're welcome for the help, that's what the TechLore Community is all about.

You can help grow the community by telling everyone you know about TechLore, and by getting involved in all the discussion happening on the site. Sharing you thoughts, opinions, and experiences with others is a great way of helping others get more out of their gear.

Don't forget to listen and subscribe to the TechLore PodCapsule, a podcast filled with cool tips and tricks, and more ways to help make technology work for you. 

And of course, if you have follow up questions, we're all happy to help. 

Connect With Techlore