Accidental Dusting - Receiver now Kaput! Help?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
kmartman
Accidental Dusting - Receiver now Kaput! Help?

Hello everybody - great site! Hopefully can get some good input on my problem.

Wife was dusting one day...(honestly ;-), turned on system, left channel speaker popped, then receiver went into protect mode. Found the wires on the left front channel were crossed at the speaker (where she was dusting). Turned receiver on and off a few times - protect message went away but now no sound from left front channel. Speak is fine. Question is: did I fry something major? I have a Sony STR-DE910 and am leary to take it in for repair until I can learn a bit more on what the problem might be. Any help would be greatly be appriciated - I miss my left channel...

Matt Whitlock
Hi kmartman, I'm glad you're

Hi kmartman, I'm glad you're enjoying the TechLore site. I hope you tell your friends about us.

Bummer to hear about your receiver. This should be a lesson to us all... never dust anything. It may be grimey, but at least tuff will work. ;-)

What happens when you switch the right and left channel speakers? Does the left channel still not work?

kmartman
Hey Matt, Thanks for getting

Hey Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will certainly make sure to tell my friends about the site...lots of good information here.

As far as the dusting - I couldn't agree more...

Anyhow, The first thing I did when I didn't have any sound from the left channel speaker was to disconnect it and put it on the right channel to make sure the speaker was ok. It worked fine on the right side channel - so I suspected that something in the receiver was blown. I also moved the wires to the "B" selector and same thing - the left channel - either on "A" or "B" selector - provides no output/sound.

I then opened the case up to inspect what boards/circuits in the hopes that perhaps I would see something (what I hoping to see I don't know, but I figured why not) but I don't know (not being an electronics engineer) what to look for.

The volume on the unit when I turned it on was set fairly low, but obvious enough "juice" to cause something bad to happen.

I just don't know what questions to ask if I were to take it in for service and what type of cost I will be asked to pay to fix it.

I really appriciate your help......

K

Matt Whitlock
I think you've done a good

I think you've done a good job of determining that the problem is with the receiver. Beyond that, it will be difficult to tell whats exactly went wrong.

Repairing receivers can often be a costly venture, but it normally never hurts to take it in for diagnosis. Most shops charge 30-40 bucks to tell you what's wrong.

If you want any more specific advice on whether or not it's worth fixing, I'll need you to double check your model number. I don't see the model STR-DE910 referenced from anywhere on the web or Sony's site. Is it by chance the STR-AV910 stereo receiver?

kmartman
hey matt - yup sorry about

hey matt - yup sorry about that. I was at work when I wrote that originally. You are correct - Its the AV910.

as far as what could be wrong - I am assuming there aren't any separate fuses, so something on a board is gone bye-bye. What exactly does the job of overload protection (resistors?) in the unit? Just so that when I take it in and they start talking "shop" I have an idea if there correct in their assessment? I am assuming they will trace back the circuit starting from the output and check things along the way? Its been a while since electronics class and I don't want to get sold a bill of goods.

I really appriciate your help!

K

Guest (not verified)
If the speaker wires were

If the speaker wires were crossed (shorted) then it probably blew the output transistor on the left side. Usually the reciever will have power and the display will work but it will go into the protect mode when you turn it on. In addition to bad transistors I usually find that some small resistors are blown.

The shop's estimate will of course include the time it takes to disasemble the unit and put it back together.

Connect With Techlore