What kind of box have you got ?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jimmyea
What kind of box have you got ?

Just wondering what kind of PC's people out there have well I'm not that old but i like to call my pc a beast lol I got AMD 64 athalon 3.2 Ghz a gig of ram 160 gb hdd a dvd rw drive also i got a nvida 6600 gt video card with 128 mb vram :-) also i got this little neon light thing lol.

Matt Whitlock
When you say an AMD 64 3.2

When you say an AMD 64 3.2 Ghz, are you referring to the 3200+? I ask only because I'm not aware of any Athlon64 that's clocked that high.

Currently, I'm running a 3.5 - 4 year old system comprised of the original Intel P4 (socket 423), 384MB RDRAM, 160GB HDD, 2 opticals, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and a 64 MB nVidia GeForce2 GTS (That's right, I can't even LOAD Doom 3). I'm building a new rig in a few weeks (can't wait!), so I'll post what I end up building.

Jimmyea
Yea sorry thats what I ment :

Yea sorry thats what I ment :-D well Ive got a custom pc but I've had so many problems ! Ive had corruption problems I had to buy and install a new grapics card fan and yesterday I had to replace the whole power supply :-( but its great when its working .

Larry Dillon
Hi, I just built a rig with a

Hi, I just built a rig with a chaintech Summit board, 3200+ AMD Athlon processor, my older diamond steath video card , a 3Com eatherlink network card, a 120gig hard drive, 2 dvd burners, 1 GiG Ram and a modem as well as a few other little trinkets. It has a 400 watt power supply. I started with a 200 watt and it burned out and seemed to bog down at first. I lost my other rig, it was about 8 yeqrs old, from a power surge and my homeowners insurance assited in some of the cost for the new one. Also now I have High speed DSL that runs at about 3 meg . It really not that expensive to build them like you want, as I bought three differant maufacturers fully built and software preloaded, and they were nothing more then toys and who likes all that extra stuff they put in them like AOL ECT. ECT! At least I think so. So I returned them and decided to build one, as I did 8 years ago. Man things have changed alot since then. I also learned alot, along the way, building this thing. I would love to get rid of this giant 20" monitor as It takes up so much room. Thats next on my list. Get a nice LCD or Plasma Monitor for my new computer and desk My wife just bought me... My board also has a nice feature I found out. Its the fan speed controller. When im using my computer alot I hear a faint fan noise as theres two in there. One for the processor and one for the power supply. When I have it at idle or not using alot I hear nothing at all!! Thats such a great feature, as My old computer has a massive fan on the power supply that always was on all the time and made alot of noise that you end up getting used to... Oh BTW all this is installed in a nice medium size tower thats shiney black. I was thinking about buying one of those plexy-glass ones with all the fancy lights inside but, What the hey Im not a gamer!!. Happy computing

Matt Whitlock
PC Update:

PC Update:

I know it's taken a little longer to put together a
new rig, but I'm happy to say it's finally done! I was going to take
the plunge around June-July, and put together a PC based on the AMD
Athlon 64 X2 line. However, given that the prices were really high, and
I kept hearing all the buzz around Intel's New Core 2 Duo processor, I
decided to hold out. Turns out, I'm glad I did.

Availability was tight on the mid-range models early after
launch (causing a huge surge in price over MSRP),  but I finally picked
up an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 about two weeks ago. The motherboard I
ordered was backordered, so I got delayed a little longer putting it
together.

Anyway, here's what I'm running:

• Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 
  • Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975X Motherboard
  • Seagate 320GB Hard Drive (perpendicular recording!)
  • 2GB Corsair DDR2-675 Memory (couln't justify another 70 bucks for DDR2-800)
  • EVGA GeForce 7600GT-KO Graphics card (Of course 2 weeks later the 7900GS came out Cry)
  • Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platimun (carry over from previous machine)
  • 1 Lite-On DVD Recorder
  • 1 Lite-On DVD player
  • 1.44 Floppy
  • 3.5 inch flash memory bay reader
  • 2 extra case fans
  • New MS keyboard
  • Logitech MX400 Performance Laser Mouse (Was going to get the G5,
    but I mush have forward/back browser controls on the mouse. I use them
    constantly)
  • Nice, simple Antec case (TX-640B). (Not into the fancy lights and out-there designs)

Glad to say, this thing is (by far) the fastest computer I've every
used. Multi-tasking is a joy (something I do often), and it's gaming
performance is very impressive. The 7600GT isn't the most powerful card
out there, but it's quite powerful for the amount I spent. I didn't
have 400 bucks to lay down on a 7900GTX. 

Larry Dillon
Are the muti cores like

Are the muti cores like running two microprocessors ? And do they run hotter or draw more current? I have been wondering if I should upgrade again.

Jimmyea
I've always wondered If water

< Insert Homer Simpson grrrrrrrrr here > I've always wondered If water coolings any good I just don't really like the idea of putting water ect inside my Pc has anyone ever used it ?

Matt Whitlock
Multicore processors are CPUs

Multicore processors are CPUs with more than one processing cores (not to be confused with having two seperate CPUs in different sockets.) In the case of the Intel Core 2, each core dynamically shares a single 4MB L2 cache, rather than limiting each processor to its own individual 2MB or smaller L2.

Since there's two cores on a single die, they do tent to run hotter than an equivalent single core version. However, AMD and Intel have made great strides to reduce power consumption and heat by a great deal. The Athlon 64 series has always ran fairly cool and have been extrememly efficient, Pentium 4's have been nuclear reactors for the last 2 years as clock speeds have ratcheted up. The Core 2 Duo's are are based on a new architecture, and are cool and efficient.

There's still much debate on the usefullness of having two processor cores in certain situations. Currently, few game titles and applications are actually threaded for two cores, so it's not like it will run an application twice as fast becuase of having two cores (though that's exactly how it works when the app IS threaded for two processors). The real benefits today come to those who constantly run multiple CPU intensive applications at the same time.  For example, a single core computer would have a hard time encoding a video file while the user plays a game. Mulitcore PCs can handle this task easily.

Jimmyea,

Watercooling is really only necessary if you intend to overclock the speed of your computer beyond the rated specification. Typically, the better you cool your componenets, the faster you can push them. Watercooling packages these days are much better, cleaner, and easier to install than kits just 3 or 4 years ago. I'm still not a fan of having water in my PC, but then again I'm not a huge overclocker either. If you want to push your existing hardware to its absolute limit, watercooling is a great way to go.

Yog-Sothoth
Matt, why would your computer

Matt, why would your computer need gaming capability? You should always be working, not playing games. Tongue out

algogo.com
Please gams after a long time

CoolPlease gams after a long time working.It is a good way to relax ourselves,right?

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Rgds, 

Algogo.com

Laughing

Connect With Techlore