Phillips DVD724 problems!

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
djnormand
Phillips DVD724 problems!

Three years ago I bought this particular DVD player because I wanted to view PAL DVDs. Little did I know that my television was not compatible with the PAL format and I believe I'm responsible for the mess up. But now I want to remedy the problem if possible and I need 'you guys' help.

The gist of the problem is this:

The DVD player is hooked up with S-video,

It was programmed to play PAL DVDs,

But when I clicked out of SETUP the picture screen returned split in two and it was rolling.

I disconnected the player attempting to reset it. No good. I went through all the troubleshooting advice in the Owner's Manual but nothing mentioned this particular problem.

Can a DVD player mess up this badly just because it is setup improperly? Are they that delicate?

To this day it has never functioned properly since. Apparently, it cannot be reset. So do I have a completely useless DVD player?

Before I ditch it I wanted to check with the experts to see if it can be saved. It will be a shame because a DVD has never been played on it.

Thanks and I will appreciate any advice I can get.

Matt Whitlock
The DVD player did not be

The DVD player did not be configured to play PAL discs. It sounds like you've set the TV Type to PAL in the preferences menu of your DVD player. Your machine has three options; Multi, NTSC, and PAL. Since your TV is NTSC comaptible only, you should select NTSC. In other words, you've set the Player to output PAL signals all the time.

If you change that setting in the menu to NTSC, operation would likely return to normal. Keep in mind that you will still not be able to play PAL DVDs without a PAL compatible TV, or a PAL to NTSC converter.

Unfortunately, your problem is that you probably can't get a good look at the menu in order to make adjustments in the menu. There is a way to reset the player to factory defaults, but that too requires you to see the menu. Your options:

1. If you can make your way to "SETUP VIDEO OUTPUT" from the main menu, click OK. "TV TYPE" will already be highlighted. Press right on your remote, then up once, then OK. Press "SYESTEM MENU" on your remote to remove the menus. Hopefully, everything will be restored.

2. Take the DVD player to a store and connect it to a PAL compatible TV (Many plasmas are PAL compatible). Make your menu adjustments and return home.

Post back with your results.

Connect With Techlore