I want to get a Segway

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Steven Jones
I want to get a Segway

I have always dreamed of owning one but only recently learned that the new HT i180 use longer-lasting Lithium Ion batteries which means further distances and operation in colder weather.

Anyone out there already have one? I have a few targeted questions:

- How likely will I be able to take it indoors as I "glide" around a city? How are they being accepted alongside wheelchairs or other movement-assisted vehicles?

- Is there any way to really lock up the HT if you have to leave it outside? I understand it won't run without the key(s) but at 80 lbs, seems like I am a good bolt-cutter away from someone carrying it off.

Steven Jones (not verified)
Well I finally got one. Will

Well I finally got one. Will probably write an article about it soon.

Tie Guy
Neat! Cool pic as well! Wait?

Neat! Cool pic as well! Wait? Since when can you add images to forum posts? I don't remeber seeing the add images link above.

So how fast does it go?
Is it easy to ride?
Have you ever fallen off?

Tal
Cool, I saw a relator in town

Cool, I saw a relator in town using one. He said they use them in their business. I don't see how you can stay on!

Ron Repking (not verified)
I'm sure it takes a little

I'm sure it takes a little getting used to, but I believe that they are pretty stable. Otherwise, no one would buy them!

Some quick answers while I

Some quick answers while I prepare the official article:

- top speed: 12.5 mph, distance on a single charge: 24 miles (under ideal conditions)

- Very easy to ride, must have given over 50 demos in the first month alone. Everyone has figured it out in less than 5 minutes, just takes a bit more time to get really comfortable riding with confidence.

- I have fallen off twice but they haven't been bad spills - I didn't even get a scratch. Several other "hot doggers" have had worse luck but the device hasn't suffered any damage yet.

Bottom line: it is amazing how much they got right with such an unique and original device. The Segway offers a great balance (pun intended!) of intuitive-ness and safety features. People are naturally curious about it and take to it very well.

stormcloud
I never rode a segway but I

I never rode a segway but I think it's very cool. Can you go to work with it? Can it climb a sidewalk? Imagine all the people in the streets riding those things... No pollution, no crowding, no noise...
Have you guys heard about the trikke? I actually rode one and it was amazing. The bad thing is you have to make an effort.

Stormcloud, I have ridden

Stormcloud, I have ridden the 'Way almost every day since I bought it and probably average 2-3 miles a day. Mostly running errands and hitting on chicks;-)

Never heard of the trikke but I did see this knock off on a recent trip. Its called "Q" from rad2go and is referred to as an Electric Chariot:

camerashy
I've been watching the Segway

I've been watching the Segway since the unveiling a couple years ago. I must say that I would love to have one. I liked that Gob on "Arrested Development" has one. I've seen them featured on other TV shows too. You can get one at Sam's Club on-line. They advertised that it came with a a personal trainer. Fun. Someday I'll get one.

Gob was an inspiration I

Gob was an inspiration I confess. I just saw a recent Family Guy episode where there was an extended Segway scene - cracked me up. I think you need to be able to laugh at yourself if you plan to own/ride one.

Here's another inspired machine. I rode it but felt no pangs of regret. It was fast but not particularly compelling, still needed to pedal some and I'm too lazy for that.

Just saw this article about a

Just saw this article about a similar vehicle(?) from Toyota:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4730/

Connect With Techlore