Should I buy another DirecTV tuner?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Should I buy another DirecTV tuner?

I have a dual-tuner DirecTV TiVo that I love, and I also have a Media PC (unfortunately, it's 2004, but I'm working on upgrading -- I'll write an article about the experience when I get it done, but I digress......).

I don't use the tuner in my Media PC, but want to start, because I'm tired of "Save to VCR" being my only option to save things off from the TiVo. The DirecTV model doesn't support cool Series-2 features like TiVo-2-Go, so I can't go that route.

So, I'm considering buying another DirecTV receiver (just a receiver, not a DVR), and hooking it up (I have four lines running from my dual LNB dish) to my Media PC tuner card. That way, I can record off shows that way, and I'll only record more transient stuff on the TiVo.

My question is... I know that the relationship between DirecTV and TiVo has been a bit "rocky" as of late, so does anyone know any reason why I should not be making a further investment in DirecTV ($50 for a basic receiver and $5/mo for adding the box to my service)?

Also, any advice (or alternative suggestions) on the configuration I'm proposing. Has anyone out there hooked a DirecTV receiver to your Media PC? Almost everyone I talk to has cable, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Anything else I should know before I go for this?

Eric Daugherty (not verified)
Spend an extra $49 and get

Spend an extra $49 and get another DirecTivo and ditch the Media PC.

Jeff Block
I don't think so. Media PC =

I don't think so. Media PC = infinite storage = watch anywhere in the house over my LAN. I have entire series saved off there. Why would I ditch it for something that traps my stuff on a limited hard drive space?

Tie Guy
Sorry Eric, I have to agree

Sorry Eric, I have to agree with Jeff. Once you're used to a Media PC, a TiVo just seems too limiting.

However, I'll give Eric a point for one thing. Getting a TiVo to record programs is a heck of a lot easier than the Media PC. I'm not entirely sure what's involved, but I know you'll need to figure out how to get the PC to control the DirecTV box... like IR blasters and such.

Good luck Jeff, I'd like to hear how you did it when you get it working.

Jeff Block
Done. As soon as I get back

Done. As soon as I get back in town (on the road for business), I'll get the new tuner installed, and post an article on the experience.

Nicole Tee
Something a little similar to

Something a little similar to what you may be looking for is the Logitech Revue with Google TV, it's offered by DISH Network with DVR integration. I'm sure you resolved your issue as soon as you got back into town, but as an employee for DISH I know that this is certainly something that Directv isn't doing.

Connect With Techlore