What's with cartoon mashups?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Griffin Caprio
What's with cartoon mashups?

Has anyone noticed that producers are creating more and more cartoons targeted at a 'mature' audience? Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Drawn Together, Sealab 2024, etc...

These are all animated cartoons, yes most would be considered risque at best and offensive at worst.

Are these just our generations' 'Fritz the Cat'?

I suppose it's nothing really that new. Live action sitcoms targeted towards kids have become the norm on channels like Nick & WB for kids. Kids aren't just watching cartoons, so maybe it's only logical that adults aren't just watching live action.

Steven Jones (not verified)
I think there has always been

I think there has always been a subtle thread running through most successful cartoons that aims at the adult viewer but it does seem like the truly adult cartoon is coming into its own as well.

Actually not just in short cartoons but in huge grossing animated films. I am constantly surprised at how many references in movies like Shrek 2 and Shark Tale go right over the kids' heads.

Griffin Caprio
I think it's more than that.

I think it's more than that. I agree that there has always been cartoons that introduced subtle adult references, puns, etc...

But the cartoons themselves have always been targetd towards kids, with adults as a hanger on.

But what I am talking about now is cartoons that don't even pretend to target kids. These shows are directly aimed at adults.

Drawn Together includes pixelated genitalia. That's not what I would call a "subtle thread"

mos21r
american society is starting

american society is starting to allow that sort of thing other societies see it as wrong

Connect With Techlore