Video Conferencing Options

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Video Conferencing Options

I was recently turned on to Skype as a VOIP calling solution, which I really like, so I thought I'd get a WebCam to go with it and be able to do video conferencing. To the best of my knowledge, however, Skype doesn't support adding a webcam. I can use Yahoo Messenger, but the video quality is *so* bad. I've seen a couple over software packages out there, but I'm not super thrilled with any of them.

So, my question... Anyone do video conferencing? If so, what are use using software-side with your webcam?

Ron Repking (not verified)
iSight and iChat for Mac work

iSight and iChat for Mac work great if you have the same on both sides (which is rare). I've tried using iChat w/Windows on the other end with mixed results.

Matt Whitlock (not verified)
I've used AIM's video option

I've used AIM's video option with some success. The video quality isn't perfect, but it is reasonable enough for a free option. I also understand that Trillian Pro gives a video option, which probably works better, but I've never tried it since I only use the free option.

Jeff Block
I'm a Yahoo IM person, and

I'm a Yahoo IM person, and their video mode just doesn't have a high enough frame rate for my taste. I've downloaded and played around with a couple different video chat systems (Dwyco and iSpQ), where the video is much smoother, but I have to pay for them and the chat tools are way more than I'm looking for. Still searching...

Connect With Techlore