Panasonic (Genius) microwaves

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry Henderson
Panasonic (Genius) microwaves

My searches on techlore haven't turned up anything about Panasonic microwaves. FrownGoogle searches turn up similar (very common?) problems.

I have two Genius models with error codes h97 and h98. Says these indicate failures in the magnetrons or invertor boards. I didn't see any obvious problems. The panels, fans, lights work fine but there is no heat and the units turn off after a minute or so and finally show error messages. I swapped the 2 (identical) magnetrons and now both show h97 error codes. One magnetron looked like new (bright copper wire braid) while the other had a darker almost burnt look.

Any suggestions?

evil
Most likely you are mistaking

Most likely you are mistaking the transformer for the magnetron. Magnetrons do not typically have copper winding's. The transformer is fine if the microwave is still on to show you the error that is being produced. If it is not creating any "heat" then the magnetron is not producing the necessary electromagnetic wave length, which is also commonly know as radiation which can and will kill you. As the errors indicate the problem is in the board, which is not likely, or the magnetron.

Larry Henderson
evil said: Most likely you

evil said: Most likely you are mistaking the transformer for the magnetron. Magnetrons do not typically have copper winding's. The transformer is fine if the microwave is still on to show you the error that is being produced. If it is not creating any "heat" then the magnetron is not producing the necessary electromagnetic wave length, which is also commonly know as radiation which can and will kill you. As the errors indicate the problem is in the board, which is not likely, or the magnetron.

Well, it took me nearly a year but I salvaged a magnetron from a dozen year old Panasonic Genius and happened to have identical part # of this 2 or 3 year old Genius. When I replaced the magnetron, it WORKED! Heated a glass of water and then chilli haha!

Soooo now I know that if a Panasonic shows an "h97" or "h98" error code, replacing the magnetron will likely fix the problem.

Btw it's not copper winding in the magnetron, it's a shiny copper braid that looks similar to desoldering braid for removing melted solder.

evil
I think you may be talking

I think you may be talking about the inductors from the filament cathode filter box, there is likely a feed through capacitor that is the problem with the magnetron as they are generally very reliable with the exception of this capacitor. It is in the big white insulator that feeds through the box.

Larry Henderson
evil said: I think you may be

evil said: I think you may be talking about the inductors from the filament cathode filter box, there is likely a feed through capacitor that is the problem with the magnetron as they are generally very reliable with the exception of this capacitor. It is in the big white insulator that feeds through the box.

Thanks for the tip.. I wanted to take a magnetron apart anyway so I'll look for the capacitor.

soyerappliances
Hi Larry Hope this Link help

Hi Larry Hope this Link help you with this problem http://www.applianceaid.com/microwave-fault-codes.php with your microwave

Connect With Techlore