Mitsubishi 50" Power Problem

1 post / 0 new
DDunlap
Mitsubishi 50" Power Problem

Hi all,

I apologize for not having the model number of this unit, I can get it later, I'm not at home right now. I believe it to be of the VS-5xxx series.  Anyhow, I found this TV on the curb waiting for trash pickup, thought, "What the heck, I'll try and fix it." I'm a computer technician with some limited AC and DC electric expeirence and I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron. First problem was that the power cord had been chewed by a dog and I quickly fixed that. Upon powering on, I get a green light for a few seconds and during this time a rather high pitched hum then a "click" and the unit powers off. After repeated examination and reproduction of the problem there was a "pop" and a bright flash inside the unit (I was watching the electronics and I had the back off). The flash came from the right hand side of the unit as I was facing it from the back. It came from behind 2 large capicitiors and, either on, or to the right of some sort of card that plugs into the main board. I'm thinking it may have been a fuse that blew, but I'm not yet sure. Does anyone have any better ideas? I'm fine with spending a little money on this as I've got nothing in it so far.

Thanks in advance!

David

Connect With Techlore