Sony Convergence Journey

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
silvrdragona
Sony Convergence Journey

Sony KP46WT510

This forum has been great for diagnosing and finding a solution to my convegence issue.  Like many others, my 4-year old television decided to stop aligning the red, green, blue lights for a permanent rainbow + bowtie effect. 

I replaced the ICs as recommended and sadly it did not fix the problem.  The ICs did not get warm at all, but I assume that they were not getting any power.  After further research on the board, many suggested that the yellow fuses (axial) were the culprit.  

I tested all the resistors under the convergence ICs and the meter said they were shorted...is this normal because of their low resistance?  When I went to test the fuses on the G board, one of them was acting strangely.  The multimeter would beep for one second then stop...othertimes it wouldn't beep at all (open circuit).  

I want to replace this fuse but have no idea where or what to buy.  It has "5000" printed on the fuse itself.  People recommended partstore.com but they only offer a 4A fuse for my particular model.  

It would be great if someone could point me towards the right fuse and location to purchase it.  

It is a 5A fuse....but what voltage 125V or 250V?

Also does anyone have the service manua for this tv? Please send it to [email protected]

I noticed that many asked for service manuals, is it possible to create a sticky thread to house this information so that it is more accesible? 

Thanks again everyone!

zapdbf
Service manuals are

Service manuals are copyrighted materials, and would be illegal to distribute without permission from sony.  The circuit only has about 25 volts on it so the 125V would be fine, if you are having trouble getting the fuses, try mcm electronics. If you read my blog about this problem, it says that 5000 is a representation of 5 amps.  The beeping then stopping behavior is due to capacitors in the circuit, they will cause your meter to beep until they become charged.

tim
I just wanted to say thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has posted information on the convergence issue.

After I replaced the blown pico fuse, everything works great!

Thanks again for all your help.

Summary of My Tasks (Just in case someone needs it)

Ordered 2 STK392-560 from electronix.com 

Labeled all the wires on the board before taking them off.  

De-soldered and re-soldered new ones (Having a solder-sucker made the job much easier)

Tested all fuses, and found one open on G Board.

Ordered 5A Pico Fuses from ebay.com (I should have ordered this at the same time with the ICs)

Replaced fuse.

Fixed!

iamhere
I have sony kp-46wt510 . 

I have sony kp-46wt510 .  where is the g board locate so i can change the Pico fuse

zapdbf
to the left of d board. usaly

to the left of d board. usaly mounted vertically. Power cord comes in on it.

tim
Hi again,

Hi again,

The tv was working great until recently. The convergence issue is back!

I checked all the fuses, and none of them were blown. I replaced both ICs and 'half' the problem went away. The right side of the screen looks great, but the left side still has a convergence problem.

When I touch the heatsinks, the right heatsink is significantly hotter than the other.

Have you seen this problem before? Are my ICs bad?

Connect With Techlore