Sony KP-57HW40 Convergence

125 posts / 0 new
Last post
Daniel Dinh
Sony KP-57HW40 Convergence

All 3 of the colors do not align. Also when I do the auto convergence the 3 color crosses would shift but not to the center. What do I do? Do I have to replce the integrated circuts? If i do where can I get the schematics to show the ones I need to replace?

Larry Dillon
Great guess. Yes my friend

Great guess. Yes my friend the convergence amp IC's seem to be defective. This set is also very common for the feedback resistors as well as the circuit protector fuses go bad in the convergence circuit. If you leave an e-mail address and promise to spread the word of techlore.com, I will send you a copy of the service manual for FREE!

Daniel Dinh
Thats awesome, this is a

Thats awesome, this is a great site. Ill recommend it to everyone that needs help troubleshooting electronics.

you can email to either of these addresses.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Larry Dillon
Dan, you should have the

Dan, you should have the manual by the time you read this. Good Luck with the repair, and let us know how this turns out for you.

tvtim
Larry and Dan, I have read

Larry and Dan, I have read your discussion with great interest because I have encountered the same problem on my KP-57HW40. The image in the center of the screen is perfect.  As the image goes out to the left and right edges, the three colors separate further and further proportionally to as much as 3 inches. The top and bottom lines curve up and down toward the corners, respectively.

Dan, I am curious whether you have been able to fix the problem yet.

Larry, we have the TV for 6 years with very heavy use. I am an EE and like to troubleshoot and fix things. Based on your experience, do you think the TV still have some life left and it is still worthwhile to fit the problem?

Is it possible for you to share the service manual with me? 

Anxious to get the nice TV back to life and look forward to your reply. 

Larry Dillon
tvtim, I think I can if I

tvtim, I think I can if I have an address? But let me tell you, being an EE is a lot different then having the experience working on printed circuit boards with 32,000 volts on the tubes, even when the set is unplugged. Yes some sets do bleed off the high voltage, some do not. Just be very careful and take nothing for granted. I have seen too many EE's bring a set to my shop and had to redo things to fix it. This should not be to difficult to repair. All you need to do is replace the two STK convergence IC's, make sure you install new heat sink compound on the backs of the new IC's before you install them, and check all of the Circuit protectors, pico fuses and feedback resistors before turning on the TV set. Oh and one more thing, triple check your soldering job on the new IC's also. I have seen a tiny splash of solder take the power supply out before.  Good Luck with your repair.

tvtim
Larry, Appreciate all the

Larry, Appreciate all the excellent suggestions.  I will take extra care.  Please suggest a website where to get the two STK convergence IC's.  My address is [email protected].  Many thanks.

Larry Dillon
tvtim, I have been having

tvtim, I have been having great success using http://www.electronic-repair-kits.com/index.html They seem to have all the right replacement parts.

tvtim
Larry, Thanks for the web

Larry, Thanks for the web link.  As soon as I received the service manual from you, I will order the parts to try.  By the way. when you said to provide an address, I assumed you meant email address as I saw in Dan's email response.   If it is my home address, please so indicate and direct me how to send you.

mpaul13
Lary, is it possible to help

Lary, is it possible to help me with the service manual? My email address is [email protected] Of course I promiss to spread the word of techlore.com! The problem with my KP-57HW40 is that towards the edges of the screen the picture looks out of focus but not as much as in the cases described in the above trail. Still blurry pictures at the edges of the screen and the AutoFocus does not seem to fix it. Is there any control that I could adust before thinking about defective components? Thanks for your help. Paul

Larry Dillon
mpaul and tvtim, as soon as I

mpaul and tvtim, as soon as I am able I will send you a copy of the service manual as well.  Do not play with anything that you do not know what it is. A TV set is not a place to be experimenting around inside of. If you are unsure about anything, play it safe and please call out a pro to assist you with this repair. Good Luck

tvtim
Larry,

Larry,

My email address is [email protected]

I promise to spread the word of techlore.com 

tvtim 

tvtim
Larry,

Larry,

Thanks for the file you sent as an attachment  KP51-57HW40.pdf.pando.  However the file size is only 3k. 

I tried to open it by clicking on it.  It opened with all random codes.  Then I tried to open KP51-57HW40.pdf by dropping the .pando extension.  It said it could not open because of errors.  Please advise what to do next.

tvtim 

Larry Dillon
You need to go to pando.com

You need to go to pando.com like it says on the e-mail and download the free program so you can open it and save it.

tvtim
Larry,

Larry,

After playing around with Pando a bit.  I finally get the file opened.  I will read the manual carefully and move forward with your suggestions and let you know my progress.  Many thanks.  tvtim.

mpaul13
Larry - I got the manual -

Larry - I got the manual - THANK YOU.

I will have to confess that I am overwhelmed, as you predicted.

I am a EE but, as you wrote in another post, this does not give me the credentials to mess up with the TV - could easily damge the set or myself :-(

Since I already sepent $800 to have my green tube replaced , I was hoping I could find a way to fix the slight out of focus at the edges of the set by adjusting some controls. Are there such controls?

Larry Dillon
you will need to perform the

you will need to perform the focus adjustment with the rings on the picture tube and then the convergence center. The tech who replaced the tube should have done this all for you.

tvtim
Larry,  I checked out the

Larry,  I checked out the schematic. Look like I have to replace IC8001 and IC8002 as well as the fuses PS8001-8006.   When you mentioned to replace feedback resistors, did you mean R8056, R8057, R8076, R8077, R8029, and R8031. Correct?

Is it worthwhile to check the DC voltages (red number at each pin) on the pins of the chips for correctness before removing the chips?

If the measured voltages match those stated on the pins, does that mean the chip is still good?

tvtim 

Larry Dillon
Change both IC's first No Ifs

Change both IC's first No Ifs ands Or Butts!

tvtim
Larry Dillon said: Great

Larry Dillon said: Great guess. Yes my friend the convergence amp IC's seem to be defective. This set is also very common for the feedback resistors as well as the circuit protector fuses go bad in the convergence circuit. If you leave an e-mail address and promise to spread the word of techlore.com, I will send you a copy of the service manual for FREE!

Larry,

I have acquired and replaced the two convergence amp IC's on the Sony projection TV. I took extra care to check all the solderings and make sure they are good and clean.  Then when I turned on the TV, the convegence problem is still there. We thought there is a very small improvement because the subtitle does not curve as much as before and the face in the center is more sharp.  Please tell me what else can I do.

tvtim.

zapdbf
On "G" board there are two

On "G" board there are two yellow fuses close to where the connector goes to the "D" board, check them i'll bet one is blowen.

tvtim
zapdbf said: On "G" board

zapdbf said: On "G" board there are two yellow fuses close to where the connector goes to the "D" board, check them i'll bet one is blowen.

Zapdbf:  I pulled the TV out and checked the yellow fuses, which are 5-A rated for protecting the +- 22V power supply.  One of them has an open circuit.  I will buy some and see if that corrects the problem. I will inform as soon as it is done. By the way, what could have caused the fuse to blow.  Recalling the event, the TV was turned off that evening in good shape.  Next morning the convergence problem appeared.  I believe there was a rain storm that evening.  Could any AC power surge due to  lightning cause the fuse to blow, even with AC power of the TV turned off all night?  I was told that when the TV is remotely switched off via the remote control device, it is placed into a standby mode and the system is running on a 4 watt power.  If that is the case, could that mean the G board is still on? 

Thanks.  tvtim.

zapdbf
the convergence ic's failing

the convergence ic's failing will cause the fuse to blow.

tvtim said "Could any AC power surge due to  lightning cause the fuse to " - No it was the convergence ic's.

tvtim said "I was told that when the TV is remotely switched off via the remote control device, it is placed into a standby mode and the system is running on a 4 watt power.  If that is the case, could that mean the G board is still on? " - The stand by power supply is still on, but the main ps is turned off. the 22 volts is apart of the main ps.

tvtim
Larry and Zapdbf:

Larry and Zapdbf:

I finally received the 5-A fuses and replaced the bad one.  We all kept our eyes on the TV when the power was turned on.  WOW, convergence problem was basically gone and it was back to normal. 

However, when I looked closely, it seemed there was a very small misalignment.  That is, on a white character "D", the top of the horizontal lines and the left of the vertical lines are a little bit "green", while the bottom of the horizontal lines and the right of the vertical lines are a little bit "red".  It did not seem to improve by pushing the "Flash Focus" button in the front of the TV. 

Do you know what adjustment can I do (potentiometer adjustment, mechanical adjustment, or electrical adjustment by remote commander ) to get an all white "D" character?   

I like to thank both of you for your expert assistance in getting my TV back to normal operation.  And I highly recommend others to use this site for addressing any TV problem. 

tvtim 

zapdbf
Yes there is a service mode

Yes there is a service mode adjustement, i need to write a procedure for this but i just haven't had the time. I need to do somthing like larry has done for the cap problem on the mits. But basicly you need to  get into the service mode and adjust the convergence manualy.  i will make an effort to create a conprehensive procedure for this, i have been asked many times for this.

Larry Dillon
Sony does have a convergence

Sony does have a convergence procedure for the projection TV sets. I am sure you are aware of this, but if you do not have it I will share it with you. Maybe work your article from part of the Sony # TVP-07  when you get the time. I know what you mean by not having much time. I am trying to finish up my last week of advanced algebra and it is really not going so well. I should get more time available for all here when I finish this math. In the meantime, I will do my best.

zapdbf
Sony Convergence Procedure

Sony Convergence Procedure

Document version 1.0

( I Will update as needed and if errors are found, please let me know and I will issue an update)

Changing values in the service mode can cause your tv to malfunction, this text will only explain how to adjust the factory convergence.  Before changing any other values make sure you know what you are doing.

To Enter Service mode With the tv off and the remote in tv mode, press the following keys: <Display> <5> <vol up(+)> <Power>

The tv will now display "3D-COMB" in the upper left hand corner.

Press the <2> or <3> keys to move up or down through the adjustment categories until you see "PJE" in the upper left hand corner(note that the letters will change to a different font).

Next press the <6> key twice, this will bring up a grid (crosshatch) without video behind it.

When I refer to the <Center> key, It is located in the middle of the directional arrow keys on the remote.

When cursor is white, you can move it to an adjustment point using the arrow keys. Once you press the <Center> button,  the cursor will lock to that adjustment point.  It will now change to one of three colors ; Red, Green, or  Blue. The color of the cursor will be the color you are adjusting. To change the color press the <3> key only when the cursor is locked to an adjustment point, pressing the <3> key when you are in navigation mode will have no effect. 

To save your changes press the <Muting> then <Enter> keys on the remote.

Important notes

Not all Sony's will function in the exact same way that I outlined above. Below I have made notes of the differences.

1.  Some Models will only let you move in a spiral pattern out from the center.
  2.   Your tv may or may not have different convergence modes that you will have to adjust, if your tv is a hi-def you will need to converge the hi-def mode as well, With the cross hatch up you can press the <picture mode> key to switch between the different modes. Make sure you save your changes before changing picture mode or your changes will be lost.

More Information

1. Save changes often.
  2. The green crt is used to align the other two colors. If you need to get the grid straight, straighten up the green completely before adjusting the other colors. An overlay may be needed if the green is way off.
  3.  After adjusting a point, you may throw another point out of convergence, Check for this.
  4.  Start converging in the center and go out, don't start on the outside you will be fighting the convergence if you do.
  5.  Avoid the tendency to adjust the worst point first, most likely one of the other smaller adjustments will get that badly converged point very close to where it needs to be. By adjusting that badly converged point first, you can throw off a well converged point somewhere else.
  6. If you are at the edge of the screen adjusting a point there, look at the opposite edge of the screen, you can throw a point off on the other side if you over adjust.

Revision History

10/26/2007 Original document created (1.0)

zapdbf
Larry, i find it hard to read

Larry, i find it hard to read the “Japanese English”, it takes some guess work. Since i am a native  English speaker, i hope my document will be easier to  understand than the blasted manual.

Larry Dillon
That is funny you should say

That is funny you should say that! I, at times wondering who translated some of these documents. :>)

zapdbf
i think it is computer

i think it is computer translated, because i have read computer translated pages before and it sounds almost identical to that. I think that maybe it is computer translated at first. Then reviewed by a non native English speaking person. Where English is their second language. Some of these manuals can be downright horrible. I have gotten better at reading them. The word usage is wrong, if they want you to remove a screw, the manual may read "Put the screw out".  You almost need a collage coarse in Japanese-English manual reading.

Stanton_Jon
Good evening,  I seem to be

Good evening,  I seem to be having a similar problem with a Spny KP-53S75  would you happen to have the service manual available for this unit as well.  My email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Jon

Pages

Connect With Techlore