Questioning the iPhone: Aren't there implications of not having a removable battery?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Questioning the iPhone: Aren't there implications of not having a removable battery?

What question?  What are you talking about?

The Apple iPhone was released on June 29th, amid a flurry of press coverage, hype, and strong opinions.  Long time TechLore member and super gadget geek Steven Jones frothed at the mouth, and published a three-part Ode to the iPhone in the process.  Read his rants at:

Eric Brandt, a newer member, harshly countered Steven's iPhone fervor with a list of questions, which I've broken out into the forums.  This is question #9.  I wanna hear what you think.

Eric's Question

Aren't there implications of not having a removable battery?

He writes... 

What happens on a trip, or when you are in a hurry, or when you have a long day with lots of calling? Does it mean that your charger now comes standard, inside your briefcase? At least until you have charged the iPhone 300 or 400 times and that battery dies. What are you planning to do then – live without the phone while it makes a trip to the factory, or do what Apple expects…. Buy their next magic device?

What's your answer? 

Okay, Techlore people...  I want to know what you think!  What's your answer?

Ron Repking (not verified)
I have a Treo 700 and I am

I have a Treo 700 and I am CONSTANTLY changing the battery.  In fact, I have 4, yes, 4 spare batteries.  I would not buy the iPhone for that simple reason.  It's of no use if I can't use it as a phone whenever I need to.

Eric Brandt
I think this is especially

I think this is especially true once  you have a phone that is wifi capable and internet connected.

Suddenly the demands on battery life are increased -- especially if you use it longer (for websurfing and email not just for phoning). the multiple use of a single device is a GOOD THING -- we need a fusion device for all our connections. But if the battery can't be switched out (and if it has "built in obsolescence") that is just a prob.

What is the talk time on the

What is the talk time on the device anyway?  Everyone only talks about how cool it is, not how useful it is ;-(

Jeff Block
That's definitely one of my

That's definitely one of my questions...  How much battery life do we get out of this slick little jobber?  The first smart phone I tried (a WinCE device) had serious issues on this front as well.

Anyone?

Matt Whitlock
Apple hasn't had the greatest

Apple hasn't had the greatest past when it comes to batteries. Though the finished product is more "refined" by making it non-removable, I think this is a terrible idea that's really going to come back and bite them in the future.

And there is something to be said about the convenience to have a spare ready to go when you know you're going to have to go a while between charges. I'm sure there'll be an accessory battery that you plug into the bottom with a cable to power it, but that's just not as nice as being able to pop in a spare. 

Michael Czyz
pure style over substance,

pure style over substance, form over function, better to look good than to feel good here.  i don't know what % of the sexy would go away with a battery compartment on the iphone, but i'm sure it would be measuarable. 

that in no way excuses it - one battery will be the biggest headache for just about everyone using the phone.  i would bet the upgrade costs will go down, and there will be 3rd party options, so replacing won't be the end of the world, but usage wise, it is bad juju. 

however, i plug in every night, connect to my car's ipod connector when i'm driving, can charge via usb, and ac adapter is so small and light that it fits in the key compartment in my backpack.  so - you should be able to keep a full charge whenever you aren't using it.  

starting each day with a full charge, some hours of usage each day - edge and wifi browsing, bluetooth, ipod, and my daily phone usage, whatever that is these days, i get through the day with 1/2 a charge-ish left most of the time.

if i were still a traveling consultant, i'm sure i would be annoyed about the battery dying on me at least a few times by now.  but, if i could also buy an accessory battery that is the same form factor as the phone, but a little bit thinner and then get 12 or more hours of talk time because that would be one massive battery, i would purchase such a battery.

so - i get hours of talk time, plus ipod, without hassle on a daily basis in my new, almost human, life.  a full day of conference calls and all the client calls that the last decade of my life had been, no way the battery has enough capacity without a recharge. 

Boy, it surely didn't take

Boy, it surely didn't take long for someone to file suit against Apple b/c of the battery!

http://www.azcentral.com/business/con...

Connect With Techlore